+ Reply to Thread

Thread: recipe quests

Shadowlander

Default recipe quests

hey guys, I had this idea yesterday and really think it should be added to the game.

I'm a runecrafter, and realizing how hard it is to get good recipes considering im a t3 raider and, well all the good recipes are in t1 dungeons which are, well useless to anyone whos been lvl 50 for more than 5 minutes. My suggestion is that there be some form of daily/weekly quests that allow crafters to obtain new recipes. The quests COULD be hard, i just want an option outside of running useless low tier dungeons. Perhaps even getting them from crafting rifts? I leave this post to the developers, hopefully you can implement some such system in the future, i know many people would be glad for it

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by teramis View Post
    hey guys, I had this idea yesterday and really think it should be added to the game.

I'm a runecrafter, and realizing how hard it is to get good recipes considering im a t3 raider and, well all the good recipes are in t1 dungeons which are, well useless to anyone whos been lvl 50 for more than 5 minutes. My suggestion is that there be some form of daily/weekly quests that allow crafters to obtain new recipes. The quests COULD be hard, i just want an option outside of running useless low tier dungeons. Perhaps even getting them from crafting rifts? I leave this post to the developers, hopefully you can implement some such system in the future, i know many people would be glad for it
    Honestly you said that they "are useless if you have been 50 for 5 minutes"...why not blast through it a few times for what you want?

Sorry to disagree with you but I have seen way too much catering to the "I want it now" crowd...(I wish I could send all of them to JG Wentworth and be done with it)...

I would rather run ALL of the raids, dungeons and get ALL the stuff I might like and see all of them than just do another quest....

Sadly I disagree with you...Thank you however for the input and new ideas!

Shadowlander

why dont i jsut run all the t1s a few times? Firstly, im in a raiding guild, meaning 80% of my time playing rift is accounted for. Secondly, recipes are rare drops, often from trash, meaning? Theres no way to garuntee it drops. Ive done charmers caldera at least 20 times and have only once seen a trash mob item drop, thanks, but im not going to spend weeks of my free time searching for something that very likely wont even drop.

This wasnt an "i want it now" rant, this was me making a reasonable suggestion that would allow crafters an alternative method of getting things CRUCIAL to their proffession. Look at rift lures, you can get those from the weekly quest OR you can just go buy them. See? two different ways. Crafting recipes though? Just run useless dungeons over and over till you hate the game BUT have a single new recipe that will barely ever get used anyways. I just want to be of more use to my guild, thats all, and running t1s is not how it'll happen

I'm a runecrafter, and realizing how hard it is to get good recipes considering im a t3 raider and, well all the good recipes are in t1 dungeons which are, well useless to anyone whos been lvl 50 for more than 5 minutes.
    Do you realize this doesn't make sense?

Clearly, T1 dungeons are not useless to you, as you are asking to have some of the potential rewards from this content added to the game in another fashion. If that content was useless to you, you would have no use (by the very definition of the word useless) for it or anything it can reward you.

My response to you is exactly the same as it would be to someone running T1 group content and asking for raid gear to be added to the game as quest rewards: no.

You want the items, you do the content they come from. If you can't find the time you miss out - but this is no different than someone that can not find the time to raid missing out on raid loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

why dont i jsut run all the t1s a few times? Firstly, im in a raiding guild, meaning 80% of my time playing rift is accounted for. Secondly, recipes are rare drops, often from trash, meaning? Theres no way to garuntee it drops. Ive done charmers caldera at least 20 times and have only once seen a trash mob item drop, thanks, but im not going to spend weeks of my free time searching for something that very likely wont even drop.

This wasnt an "i want it now" rant, this was me making a reasonable suggestion that would allow crafters an alternative method of getting things CRUCIAL to their proffession. Look at rift lures, you can get those from the weekly quest OR you can just go buy them. See? two different ways. Crafting recipes though? Just run useless dungeons over and over till you hate the game BUT have a single new recipe that will barely ever get used anyways. I just want to be of more use to my guild, thats all, and running t1s is not how it'll happen
    you only play 5 hours a week? gsb/ros/gp call all be cleared in 4 hours. as was stated prior in the thread t1 have things you want, therefore its not useless. while you may feel its a reasonable suggestion, it really just comes off that you want it all now without putting in the time to get it. a guild helps out its other members, so while i dont have all of the runecrafting patterns, between the other major runecrafter in guild and myself we have all of them covered, or atleast all of them that matter. currently im happy with the setup that is in game, it means i always have something to do.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

This wasnt an "i want it now" rant, this was me making a reasonable suggestion that would allow crafters an alternative method of getting things CRUCIAL to their proffession. Look at rift lures, you can get those from the weekly quest OR you can just go buy them. See? two different ways. Crafting recipes though? Just run useless dungeons over and over till you hate the game BUT have a single new recipe that will barely ever get used anyways.
    I agree with the OP. There should be a way to quest for crafting recipes, as well as a way to get them if you raid/farm dungeons. It's not about having stuff now or easier, it's about having it at all. I'm not level 50 yet, but when I get there I don't plan on raiding or farming dungeons ad infinitum. Those both sound very dull to me. And yet, I do like crafting.

Shield of Telara

But.. We're already doing quests for coins that buy recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post

Clearly, T1 dungeons are not useless to you, as you are asking to have some of the potential rewards from this content added to the game in another fashion. If that content was useless to you, you would have no use (by the very definition of the word useless) for it or anything it can reward you.

My response to you is exactly the same as it would be to someone running T1 group content and asking for raid gear to be added to the game as quest rewards: no.

You want the items, you do the content they come from. If you can't find the time you miss out - but this is no different than someone that can not find the time to raid missing out on raid loot.

This .

Soulwalker

... but this is no different than someone that can not find the time to raid missing out on raid loot.
    In other words, if I'm a casual player and cannot devote blocks of 4 to 10 hours to do what YOU want to do, I'm screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by Callalily View Post
    In other words, if I'm a casual player and cannot devote blocks of 4 to 10 hours to do what YOU want to do, I'm screwed?
    you know there are guilds that raid for less than 4 hours right? and most of those 10 hour stretch people you hear of are the "rawr must get world first" progression guilds. once you have put in a little time to beat encounters, and that really shouldnt take a great deal of time if your using time correctly, and bringing the same people every time, then you can easily find the time to raid. gp takes less than an hour to full clear, gsb takes roughly an hour fifteen, and from what i hear ros takes about two (trash is a pita, even aoeing it down).

there is no excuse to not be able to raid, outside of not wanting to put the effort into doing so. which is basically exactly what the op is whining about. he wants stuff but doesnt want to do the work to get it. maybe if he were the only runecrafter on his server or something i could understand, but even if he is the only runecrafter in the guild there is no need for him to have literally ecery single pattern, other than he wants them. if he wants them enough them he will run dungeons till he gets them, which is exactly the way the system is supposed to work.

It's not about what *I* want you to do, as the developers rarely consult me on such things. Rather, it's about what the developers want to have as their top end content.

Further, if you are not raiding, you are in no way "screwed" if you do not have raid gear. At anypoint in the game, the loot you receive is appropriate to do the activity you are on, and start the next activity in progression.
    Last edited by Noaani; 07-31-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

Soulwalker

It's not about what *I* want you to do, as the developers rarely consult me on such things. Rather, it's about what the developers want to have as their top end content.

Further, if you are not raiding, you are in no way "screwed" if you do not have raid gear. At anypoint in the game, the loot you receive is appropriate to do the activity you are on, and start the next activity in progression.
    I appreciate your thoughts put clearly here. Thank you.

However, I also understand some recipes can only be had from dungeons. I don't raid. I do craft. I think perhaps crafting was an afterthought during development. I like being able to provide things others need when they can't get the roll on the drops. Maybe not as good, but a service nonetheless. I would like to see crafting developed a little more.

This is a suggestion forum. It's the in-your-face-tough-**** answers so many people seem to feel must be posted for any "what if" that comes along which irritate me. What if's are the sparks for progression.
    Last edited by Callalily; 07-31-2011 at 12:58 PM.

I appreciate your thoughts put clearly here. Thank you.

However, I also understand some recipes can only be had from dungeons. I don't raid. I do craft. I think perhaps crafting was an afterthought during development. I like being able to provide things others need when they can't get the roll on the drops. Maybe not as good, but a service nonetheless. I would like to see crafting developed a little more.

This is a suggestion forum. It's the in-your-face-tough-**** answers so many people seem to feel must be posted for any "what if" that comes along which irritate me. What if's are the sparks for progression.
    you are completely correct. however, the vast majority are not what ifs, they are whinning for handouts, or poorly thought out ideas. take op for example "i dont want to run t1s, let me get all my recipes from quests!" im sure he wants some massive "hard" questline to get his recipe, when in reality of this were implemented it would be a one off or run x dungeon. anything harder would have casuals such as yourself whining that they dont have 5 hours to run a questline just to get a recipe! simple ideas tend to do far too much damage, and makes things far easier than they should be. no, i dont mean easier in terms of skill, but easier in terms of it takes time to get places. instant gratification is half the reason we have so many "im bored" posts.

Plane Walker

isen't this how the econemy works ?

raiders need potions but don't have the time to get the recepy/gather the mats / craft themselves creating demand.

more casual gamers craft these things and sell them to raiders to make a nice bit of income

+ Reply to Thread