+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: BODY SLIDER and WARDROBE WEAPON SLOTS

Rift Disciple

Agree with OP about the sliders. Not including it is nothing but laziness on the developers part in creating armors. Too bad not having the sliders did not help in this dept.
    Tera does the same thing...the bodies within the race are all the same, but each race has different looking armor and even the starter armor looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgroves View Post
    Agree with OP about the sliders. Not including it is nothing but laziness on the developers part in creating armors. Too bad not having the sliders did not help in this dept.
    Tera does the same thing...the bodies within the race are all the same, but each race has different looking armor and even the starter armor looks great.
    Don't they hand-draw all of their animations or something? Someone was telling me that a bit back, and that's why it takes so damn long.

It's not being lazy, bro. It's hard to redraw a character in 1,600 different ways depending on being buff, skinny, or fat, and then every single piece of gear in 1,600 different ways.

/not signed for sliders

So most of you would like a body slider and more of you would the wardrobe weapon slot. Personally i would prefer the weapon slot but i did think the body slider would be great.

Soulwalker

Weapon slot: yes

Body slider: not so much.

Rift Disciple

In one of the podcasts during Beta the question of implementing body sliders came up for a dev, Hartsman I think. The reason given for why they are not included was that they would cause each character model to carry too much variable data. This would significantly drop performance.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dezyne View Post
    In one of the podcasts during Beta the question of implementing body sliders came up for a dev, Hartsman I think. The reason given for why they are not included was that they would cause each character model to carry too much variable data. This would significantly drop performance.
    Seriously? They said that?
    Coming from a programming background, all I can say is that this is just ********.
    Seriously, it doesn't need more than just 4 or 5 integer variables of traffic. Once. It doesn't even need to be recalculated.
    And if they meant FPS with performance, not net traffic, then it's even more weird of a statement. The bones for the animations are there. Always. Without bones, there would be no animations. It's just a matter of scaling these bones. Remember that you CAN change the height of your character. Which causes the walk animation to get slowed down (so that it doesn't look weird as all characters must have the same walking speed, regardless of leg length). Which means that the size and scaling of bones can be perfectly adjusted from within the game code.

I think the real reasons why we don't have body sliders are
    1) they want to avoid being called sexist... which is kind of a non-issue nowadays with all those "virtual **** MMOs" that come from the asian market ... and let's not forget all those bikini mail armor designs that are in the game that suddenly cover every piece of skin as soon as they get equipped by a male.
    2) laziness. They probably went for a very simple bone structure when making the game. That's why I lot of animations look so stiff and unnatural. That's why dwarven females look exactly like the mathosian females, just horizontally scaled up and vertically scaled down.
    I highly doubt that the upper chest has more than a single bone for scaling. In order to make things like a hip, tigh or boobslider, you need individual bones for the breasts and pelvis to make it look more natural and not just like a deformed human. Just scaling the entire upper and lower body individually is not enough to make it look good.
    3) They probably want to keep such a feature away to implement it into the F2P model at a later place. That one asian F2P mmo with 4 letters did it in the same way, adding body sliders as shop items on one of the later updates. And to be honest, I'm actually fine with paying real money to have those sliders. It's a F2P game after all, they have to take some features away or people would never pay any money.

I'm all in for body sliders. That would actually be one thing I'd gladly pay real money for. None of the other things I can pay for are interesting for me, so I think Trion is taking the wrong approach here by not delivering. People love not looking the same as the other guy standing next to them. That's why most shop items are cosmetical. That's why there's a wardrobe. I don't get why they don't go this obvious step to make some additional cash. Too busy implementing ugly new mounts?

Come on, Trion, I want to play a skinny mage or a bulky warrior!
    Last edited by Zwiebelchen; 05-23-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Yeah, weapon wardrobes will never happen; they have implemented weapon transfiguration instead, which can earn them cash.

Body sliders are also very unlikely to ever happen, unfortunately. And while I wouldn't mind having the sliders, I do have a certain pride in Trion for keeping their character models realistically proportioned. I get the feeling it actually attracts a lot of players by having this limitation, oddly enough.

Ascendant

No Scarlet Blade b**bs for me, thank you very much. I like the more realistic proportions of Rift's characters.

And please don't necro three year old threads.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    No Scarlet Blade b**bs for me, thank you very much. I like the more realistic proportions of Rift's characters.

And please don't necro three year old threads.
    The beauty about sliders is: they are perfectly optional. Don't like extremes? Well go with the default!

Hell no body sliders. The bodies are fine the way they are. It's patently embarrassing seeing huge chests on females in other games- but perhaps once these boys are past their 13th birthday they might understand why.
    Last edited by ilex011; 05-27-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Hell no body sliders. The bodies are fine the way they are. It's patently embarrassing seeing huge chests on females in other games- but perhaps once these boys are past their 13th birthday they might understand why.
    I don't get why this topic always drifts away to a boob slider discussion. Heck, I don't give a **** about boob sliders, I play male characters, mostly. Sure, there's those guys that will min/max their sliders for a virtual **** experience, but then there's also the kind of people that like body sliders for RP.

It just feels weird that my male Mage has the same figure as my male warrior. Or that I can not create an elf that looks a little bit more muscular fitting a tank soul.

Seriously, I could live perfectly without a boob slider. But I would still like to scale torso, hips, tighs, legs, etc..
    Last edited by Zwiebelchen; 05-27-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Ascendant

Over 2 yrs between post #20 and #21

#EPICTHREADNECROMANCY
    Last edited by Gruntled; 05-28-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiebelchen View Post
    I don't get why this topic always drifts away to a boob slider discussion. Heck, I don't give a **** about boob sliders, I play male characters, mostly. Sure, there's those guys that will min/max their sliders for a virtual **** experience, but then there's also the kind of people that like body sliders for RP.

It just feels weird that my male Mage has the same figure as my male warrior. Or that I can not create an elf that looks a little bit more muscular fitting a tank soul.

Seriously, I could live perfectly without a boob slider. But I would still like to scale torso, hips, tighs, legs, etc..
    I'm just always thinking that "body slider" is covert for "boob slider", but that could just be my hangup. I freely wave that flag. But if I want realistic bodies, I play Rift. If I want a laugh and goofiness, I play Scarlet Blade and have fun (it's true- I do).
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Sign me up for the weapon slots, though we already have a transfiguration bauble. Yeah, I know. RIFT store.

Body slides, hm. Yes, and no. It doesn't fit into this game. Plus RIFT's performance is already very unoptimised, why make it worse...
    Last edited by Yeowang; 05-28-2014 at 02:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2