+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: let us take over towns

Default let us take over towns

they already have the mechanics in place to make pvp in rift amazing, let us take over towns

when a town is taken over have a zone announcement as to what has happened. let those in the area of it that are defending get a ticking amount of favor, also those that recover get an amount of favor.

you could even go so far as if you control all enemy towns, the shared major town (ie zeraphs return in stilmoor) switches its allegiance to your side

this would make pvp absolutely awesome. it will create long lasting appeal, epic pvp battles, endless pvp content that wouldn't really get stale (like warfronts), and most importantly for the devs requires very little in the term of development

also it doesnt need to be on pve servers
    So long rift, may your potential someday be realised

If you take over a neutral town with a porticulum in it(Zareph's Return), will people still be able to port in there, or will the porticulum change red or blue depending on the controlling faction? If the porticulum changes allegiance, the opposing faction may not be able to even port into the zone. And there's a possibility of a midnight raid taking over every settlement in Telara too. You might even be able to change the game name from "Rift" to "Risk."
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Rift died?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldur View Post
    If you take over a neutral town with a porticulum in it(Zareph's Return), will people still be able to port in there, or will the porticulum change red or blue depending on the controlling faction? If the porticulum changes allegiance, the opposing faction may not be able to even port into the zone. And there's a possibility of a midnight raid taking over every settlement in Telara too. You might even be able to change the game name from "Rift" to "Risk."
    I would rather Trion would just add some Ancient Wardstones to IPP, Stillmoor, and Shimmersand (and future endgame zones)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldur View Post
    i dont see one group doing as much damage as you say as they would need to be protecting a taken over town so it doesnt get recovered. if they move on straight away not only would they not be getting favor/exp from being in the area of it, but one person could just come along and recover the town.
    as for the porticulum i think it should still be open to all and able to be port to, this would make controling such towns much harder, faction guards of the losing side would not be present during this time and i think maybe neutral npcs present would not attack on sight, but would instead not attack the controlling side at all during conflict
    and who's to say a little risk isn't needed, would be better than sleepy time in home cities while waiting for pop ups
    Last edited by j3w3l; 07-15-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Plane Walker

I love this idea but only on PvP servers of course. I think that you would have to first take over each smaller area before you could attack the main town. THEN The remaining town would get elite reinforcements from the capital city (Not lv 50s like in sanctum and meridan) and could be taken over if you defeat the guards.

The portal would become the property of the invading side and would only be useful to them until the city is retaken.

HOWEVER The main town, after being taken over by the opposite faction, could be re-taken without grabbing the other territories first. This would make it so that even if most territories were taken over in a night, they could be taken back if it was only by a handful of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarox View Post
    I love this idea but only on PvP servers of course. I think that you would have to first take over each smaller area before you could attack the main town. THEN The remaining town would get elite reinforcements from the capital city (Not lv 50s like in sanctum and meridan) and could be taken over if you defeat the guards.

The portal would become the property of the invading side and would only be useful to them until the city is retaken.

HOWEVER The main town, after being taken over by the opposite faction, could be re-taken without grabbing the other territories first. This would make it so that even if most territories were taken over in a night, they could be taken back if it was only by a handful of players.

yeh reinforcements being spawned would be a good idea. i dont think though that portals should become unusable, it is a big way of getting around, it will also make those vital towns easier to recover.

and yeh i think any town should be recoverable regardless of what other towns you control
    yes and definately not on pve servers

i was also thinking that perhaps once you control a certain amount of towns the home city would become weaker in defences, with each extra city controlled adding to the effect

Ascendant

I really wish I was reading patch notes just now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Shadowlander

they had something close to this in warhammer online. they also had empty keeps scattered across the maps that the factions could war over and fight to control. Was an awsome idea and made world pvp actually fun. Defending a keep of fighting to get one, didn`t matter it was a blast either way.

Rift Disciple

like it. I think I agree with one of the posters above, that I'd rather have end game keeps and whatever, but this seems easier im thinkin, for Devs that is.

I think they need to move the porticuloum to away from the main base first off. you can always use it

I think they need to make it so your favor tick goes up with as many towns as you control. this help keep a zerg from just sitting there.. need the players to run away a bit, so towns can be retaken!

I think they need to make invasions chime in after x amount of time. If an invasions takes over your town, it resets to whoever owned it before. The X amount of time needs to be very varied also as well.

I don't have a good answer about a late night raiding guild. I think that WOULD happen for sure, and it would be a bad thing. Maybe my third point could help some.

However, this is better, MUCH better, than the current pvp. Its truly tremendous how they are hurtin themselves by not adding stuff like this.

PVP rifts don't count. lol it has to be more tangible, more re-playable and rewarding outside of the rewards. PVP rifts don't acknowledge that imo.

I would ONLY every support this on PvP servers OR as some sort of 'quantum sight' type Ascended power. Where you 'turn on' an alternate version of the world and can then do massive PvP options on PvE servers. Because town 'take overs' are exactly what some of us DO NOT miss from PvP servers or even WoW PvE.

The alternate version of Telara could have all those mechanics you described, and be like a world where the war was strictly Guardian vs. Defiant. Towns being taken over, resource piling, footholds would be major PvP resources. Mines, forests, ports, towns, etc would be major resource/PvP areas to give your faction 'control' of the zone, stockpiling resources for buffs and just massive world PvP in every zone.

I think on PvP servers it would be something everyone would want in on.

And what happens when whole raids of 50s go through all the noob zones and wipe out all the towns? How are they suppose to quest?
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
    And what happens when whole raids of 50s go through all the noob zones and wipe out all the towns? How are they suppose to quest?
    You can build a raft and float them to carebear land down the river you just cried them.\\

Edit: Okay that was mean sorry
    Last edited by Alarox; 08-01-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Shadowlander

It really isn`t as hard as many think to implement something like this. The towns that could be contested for wouldn`t be the normal cities that everyone goes to now. They could do like warhammer did and place keeps and castles in the spots in zones that isn`t really used for anything. so far in this game there`s an awful lot of space that could be utilized for castle takeovers and small skirmish points. Naturally you would have to be flagged for pvp to participate so others who aren`t into it can go about their way and do their own thing.

Or look at what dark age of camelot did. They had an entirely seperate map you could go to for castle warfare. I think it would be easier to do it the warhammer way then create an entire new worldspace just for pvp.

Ascendant

I think all outposts in IPP, SM, and SS should be able to be taken over by a certain faction. The more outposts you have the more shops and items you can get from the main city. the main citys should not be able to be taken over though. Whitefall in IPP, Zareph in SM, and Fortunes Shore in SS should always have the porticulum available to the other faction. The new shops would have new vanity items and extra PvP items.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

OP, OWPvP enthusiasts have asked for this since Beta2. And been denied the whole time.

There's a reason you don't see many pure PvP guilds left in this game. People can say what they like, but there's a reason that guilds known as powerhouses (on PvP servers) in this game have a heavy raiding contingent.

I'm not knocking the combat itself, but this game's focus is Raiding, not PvP. Trion has made that pretty clear by now.

On MMO break until someone decides to put out a game developed for PvP.
    On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now
    Dir en grey - Hageshisa to kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetsu no yami

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast