+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 309
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: I am tired of the players with dumb names

  1. #166
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkag View Post
    Actually the Truth of the matter is you're just a big troll. Names even REAL LIFE names can be annoying and stupid. You just ignore them or make fun of them. You can't control it because it's THEIR name. Yes sometimes game companies can partially control and restrict names via a name policy.. but get real there's over 6 billion people in the world. Many don't want to have the same name as everyone else. So they come up with unique or identifying things. Or nicknames.

    Stop beating a dead horse.. servers might be up by now!
    If you're looking for people to call a "big troll," I would recommend you pay closer notice to the mentality of people with such names identified by people such as Ethoua, Laeris, and myself.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  2. #167
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Wherever is the potential for pvp, there exists dumb names (edit) IN LARGE NUMBERS.
    Last edited by Wepps; 06-26-2011 at 02:38 AM.

  3. #168
    Plane Walker donut001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wepps View Post
    Wherever is the internet, there exists dumb names (edit) IN LARGE NUMBERS.
    fixed.

    -XxLeGoLaSxX435

  4. #169
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haseno View Post
    I understand that opinions differ, I personally love differing opinions. It really allows me to critically think about their perspective, or why they feel that way. But I'm also a realist, and I understand that this is still the roleplaying genre at its core. Even with alternative servers being added, it will always remain a roleplaying genre at its core. Rift's story and lore supports the "roleplaying" traits already.

    Since I, myself, am not a roleplayer. I simply don't roleplay, but I also understand that since this is a roleplaying genre first and foremost, we need to respect that all of us appreciate roleplay to some extent. They simply put the most effort compared to any demographic of player, into their very own role or purpose. They're also the group of individuals living this genre to its absolute full potential. While they're a small market nowadays, it doesn't mean we cater to the polar opposite of their crowd.

    It's also impossible to cater to so many different demographics, with differing opinions, even with alternative servers and rulesets. As such...we shouldn't assume they still don't play alternative servers. Most players don't play in just one aspect of the game anymore. The same way most players don't just prefer PVP or PVE by themselves, but they rather prefer both.

    What's for the greater good? Having a naming policy which mildly encourages roleplay to some extent, even if small? Or allowing people to run rampant, and disregard others sensibilities?

    I choose the greater good, as such...Strict Naming Policy.
    But how do you determine which name is acceptable and which isn't? It comes down to individual opinions on what works and what doesn't. Sure, a lot of people don't seem to like "Iwillpwnyou" as a character name but that's an easy one. Where do you draw the line between appropriate and inappropriate? You don't and really, you shouldn't have to.

    In MMORPG's you only control one thing - yourself. You decide however it is you want to play the game and that's it. Everyone around you is different personality whose actions are completely independent of your own and that's really one of the biggest appeals of the genre. Like real life, you will not get along with everybody and you definitely will not like every person you meet in an MMORPG. If anything, this adds character to the game. Names are unique and help define whatever role you take in the game and though they may seem disrespectful from your point of view, just remember that we are all playing the same game and enjoying it.

    Iwillpwnyou could have any name and you would still avoid him because his name is a reflection of his personality. Diversity adds to the game dynamics, and names are no excuse. If anything, complain about the Plat sellers who shout across channels.

  5. #170
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donut001 View Post
    fixed.

    -XxLeGoLaSxX435
    Yah but those are internet pvpers

  6. #171
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    The OP is right on this one, they need to remove names completely and assign each character a number to identify them by.
    Last edited by Windgogo; 06-26-2011 at 02:46 AM.

  7. #172
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    WOrld is full of idiots why not MMORPGs. So sorry if you're such a emo and start to cry over it.
    Last edited by June; 06-26-2011 at 02:51 AM.

  8. #173
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Let's start here, and I'll continue to link endless amounts of links and discussions regarding naming policy.

    http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/35041

    These are opinions yes, but you start to realize the trend of what such stupidity is doing to the genre.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  9. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,684

    Default

    Best naming policy I ever ran across was a few years ago.. Your character was given a random generated name and IF you wanted a custom name, you had to submit it, and sometime between a 3 to 5 day later you either got your custom name or declined.. They actually took the personal time to have a person review the name before it went live..

  10. #175
    Telaran Rass3ngan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    I originally rolled on an RP server, assuming from my previous MMO experience that the players would be more mature and tolerant than those on non-RP servers. That was until i saw threads just like this one deploring the 'idiot' names of other players.
    Snobbery amongst geeks is unbecoming, if people can't get over themselves to just accept someone else's idea of fun, then it will sure as hell be a lonely time when you're out re-enacting the battle of the 5 armies in your Gandalf hat.

  11. #176
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rass3ngan View Post
    I originally rolled on an RP server, assuming from my previous MMO experience that the players would be more mature and tolerant than those on non-RP servers. That was until i saw threads just like this one deploring the 'idiot' names of other players.
    Snobbery amongst geeks is unbecoming, if people can't get over themselves to just accept someone else's idea of fun, then it will sure as hell be a lonely time when you're out re-enacting the battle of the 5 armies in your Gandalf hat.
    If you truly think this is about snobbery, then I must do the logical thing. That is, /facepalm.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  12. #177
    Telaran Rass3ngan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    wow your facepalm has convinced me that this is somehow about standards and culture, rather than inflated egos and lofty disdain.
    /sarcasm

  13. #178
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rass3ngan View Post
    wow your facepalm has convinced me that this is somehow about standards and culture, rather than inflated egos and lofty disdain.
    /sarcasm
    It has everything to do with standards and culture. It's why they even began to exist. Naming policies that is.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  14. #179
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    I'll point out that the game's naming policy originally applied to all servers. Someone at Trion realized the value of keeping names immersive. Fairly quickly after launch, however, several threads sprang up complaining that the policy wasn't being enforced. This coincided with announcements from Trion that they were having diffficulty keeping up with tickets (not just naming policy violation reports) and appeals to the community for patience as they increased their support staff.

    Trion soon announcd that they were paring back the naming policy to the bare minimum: things like obscenities, drug references, and copyright infringement. The roleplaying community then freaked out on the forums, and Trion reinstated the full policy for RP servers only.

    It's too bad Trion didn't have the staff to enforce their original intent with names.

    This whole thread reminds me of a book I read recently, The Social Animal, by David Brooks. It's a fascinating report on what scientists have discovered about culture and how it relates to individual achievement and happiness. It's interesting that scientists are discovering what our grandparents could have easily told us without carefully controlled experiments: erosion of the little rules that make for polite, considerate society eventually leads to the loss of civility in much greater ways.

    There is a lazy thinking that is so prevalent that is ready to dismiss most rules and standards as arbitrary. People don't realize the little things like being asked to say please and thank you are the foundation of deeper respect for each other.

    I'm not on an RP-server because I know how crucial population is for enjoying this game. Names do, however, affect how I react to people. As a father of a daughter, in another game I made it a point of destroying any player I saw belonging to the guild "SheSaidSheWas18", no matter how far below my level their character was. People with names like Ipwnzu get politely declined if they ask me for help or a group.

    It's sad that people treat the game world and the community with the disrespect of choosing a (most often very unimaginative) joke for their name. I don't really expect any better, though, in a time and culture where all rules shy of "don't murder" are treated as arbitrary, and the moment someone advocates for standards they are labeled as "self righteous" and "oppressive".
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

  15. #180
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    I'll point out that the game's naming policy originally applied to all servers. Someone at Trion realized the value of keeping names immersive. Fairly quickly after launch, however, several threads sprang up complaining that the policy wasn't being enforced. This coincided with announcements from Trion that they were having diffficulty keeping up with tickets (not just naming policy violation reports) and appeals to the community for patience as they increased their support staff.

    Trion soon announcd that they were paring back the naming policy to the bare minimum: things like obscenities, drug references, and copyright infringement. The roleplaying community then freaked out on the forums, and Trion reinstated the full policy for RP servers only.

    It's too bad Trion didn't have the staff to enforce their original intent with names.

    This whole thread reminds me of a book I read recently, The Social Animal, by David Brooks. It's a fascinating report on what scientists have discovered about culture and how it relates to individual achievement and happiness. It's interesting that scientists are discovering what our grandparents could have easily told us without carefully controlled experiments: erosion of the little rules that make for polite, considerate society eventually leads to the loss of civility in much greater ways.

    There is a lazy thinking that is so prevalent that is ready to dismiss most rules and standards as arbitrary. People don't realize the little things like being asked to say please and thank you are the foundation of deeper respect for each other.

    I'm not on an RP-server because I know how crucial population is for enjoying this game. Names do, however, affect how I react to people. As a father of a daughter, in another game I made it a point of destroying any player I saw belonging to the guild "SheSaidSheWas18", no matter how far below my level their character was. People with names like Ipwnzu get politely declined if they ask me for help or a group.

    It's sad that people treat the game world and the community with the disrespect of choosing a (most often very unimaginative) joke for their name. I don't really expect any better, though, in a time and culture where all rules shy of "don't murder" are treated as arbitrary, and the moment someone advocates for standards they are labeled as "self righteous" and "oppressive".


    I love you.

    Note: That's a great book, fyi.
    Last edited by Haseno; 06-26-2011 at 03:45 AM.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts