+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Instead of gear grinds

Banned

Default Instead of gear grinds

I would of loved to see something less painful.. Instead of gear grinds.. What about replacing them with promotion ranking advancements.. You can come up with any titles you want, and with each promotion you gain access to new gear and looks.. These aren't AA's but can be considered as such as only lvl 50's will have the ability to gain ranks and titles.. Even add special medals and awards for certain achievements.. Just shooting from the hip, I'd make these new rank levels 3 or 5 times longer then it took for lvl 49

Naturally there would be more to it, and need more zones.. grinding the same 2 zones sucks.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    I would of loved to see something less painful.. Instead of gear grinds.. What about replacing them with promotion ranking advancements.. You can come up with any titles you want, and with each promotion you gain access to new gear and looks.. These aren't AA's but can be considered as such as only lvl 50's will have the ability to gain ranks and titles.. Even add special medals and awards for certain achievements.. Just shooting from the hip, I'd make these new rank levels 3 or 5 times longer then it took for lvl 49

Naturally there would be more to it, and need more zones.. grinding the same 2 zones sucks.. lol
    You know an AA, title, promotion, or ranking grind is the exact same thing as a gear grind, right? It just sounds different.

In fact, you're making it sound worse. You want people to basically have a new capped exp bar that will take 3 to 5 times longer to fill than the last level in the game...so they can get gear to even do anything endgame? I think that's what you're saying. lol

It sounds horrible, elaborate if I'm not getting the jist here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KnirpsLyn View Post
    You know an AA, title, promotion, or ranking grind is the exact same thing as a gear grind, right? It just sounds different.

In fact, you're making it sound worse. You want people to basically have a new capped exp bar that will take 3 to 5 times longer to fill than the last level in the game...so they can get gear to even do anything endgame? I think that's what you're saying. lol

It sounds horrible, elaborate if I'm not getting the jist here.
    Yeah.. you are not getting the jist here.. 1) gear grinds require I do the endless dungeon hop with others.. So I have to suffer thru the queue drama.. Same with raids.. The alternative I suggest is just something to do at 50 with a purpose that can be done solo or in short spurts of time..

As for the second part.. You're close it's just another way to time sinking the game.. What makes the difference if you gear grind dungeons for 30 hours, or do an "rank" system as I suggest? It's still a 30 hour time sink, it's not better or worse, only doable without the current group/raid instance requirement..

However in conclusion, I think I did suggest that more end game zones need to be added to do invasions and whatnots.. NOT MORE dungeons.. more open world content so that a person or small groups of people can work on the new promotion concept outside of Shimmersand and Stillmoor..

PS.. I'm not suggesting you scrap the current method.. KEEP it if that is your cup of tea.. I'm suggesting others that do NOT enjoy that playstyle have an alternative.. which can co-exist.. No reason for people to fight about it..
    Last edited by Rydeson; 06-20-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Plane Touched

I thought someone was finally suggesting something to grind for other than gear. I was excited to add my 2 cents, but this is exactly what people grind for now. Gear. You just changed the way it is grinded for.

I would like to see grinds that reward me with something OTHER than gear. Let me grind for wardrobe cosmetic appeal. Let me grind for unique dye colors that are not included in the game currently. Let me grind for a unique title that doesn't unlock anything other than the silly title. That way there is no reason to grind for it other than to aquire the cool title. "Slayer of Magic" "Second to None" "the Awesome"

Not everything needs to unlock gear purchases. I was liking your post all the way until you said it unlocks new gear. You just made it another grind for gear. Then it will become another grind people ultimately decide is worthless or necessity to play dungeons. Which makes it a pointless addition.

Banned

Geek.. The idea is to offer alot more then just gear.. My desire to to have it open up so much more.. Gear was just another by-product of the new "ranking" leveling.. I would love to see more "non" power content added to the game.. What I mean by non-power, are those things that add to character development without is actually increasing the strength of your character like gear does.. I'm all game for perks and vanity items being introduced with this concept as well

Plane Touched

Okay, maybe we are on the same page after all. I just got sidelined by your gear comment.

I want less "stat" gear related content to this game. That is the stuff that keeps me playing. Eventually, I'll have great gear that I don't want to replace. Give me some other cool stuff to accent this cool gear. Titles, visible trinkets that hang on my character, dyes that are only available through specific quests, unique outfits that require crafting skills to create, rift progression that results in something other than gear. I want a reason to go to RIFTS. I love closing rifts, but I want more reasons for people to party up and go zone to zone closing any rift they come acrosss. Give me something for the loads of nothings that I can do for fun. What do I get for closing a rift at 50? I don't want the gear I can buy with planarite. Let me unlock something different. OR if you "have to add stat gear", make this gear a 3rd set I need to carry. PVE, PVP, and RIFTing gear.

Banned

Geek I'm all game for those things.. People are asking for capes.. Lets make that part of the new ranking options.. or vanity "sashes" that are visible with no stats.. New mounts.. New cosmetic armor.. New weapons and cosmetic options.. New recipes on every crafting profession.. But the end game needs to be tweaked to accomadate something new.. I like the option of having a rank title, something like Centurion etc.. maybe even capes and sashes that show that rank as well..

/shrug

Plane Touched

As long as capes are a statless level 50 quest or grind achievement, I can live with capes.

Normally, I'm completely against them.
    Last edited by GeekCrux; 06-20-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    Yeah.. you are not getting the jist here.. 1) gear grinds require I do the endless dungeon hop with others.. So I have to suffer thru the queue drama.. Same with raids.. The alternative I suggest is just something to do at 50 with a purpose that can be done solo or in short spurts of time..

As for the second part.. You're close it's just another way to time sinking the game.. What makes the difference if you gear grind dungeons for 30 hours, or do an "rank" system as I suggest? It's still a 30 hour time sink, it's not better or worse, only doable without the current group/raid instance requirement..

However in conclusion, I think I did suggest that more end game zones need to be added to do invasions and whatnots.. NOT MORE dungeons.. more open world content so that a person or small groups of people can work on the new promotion concept outside of Shimmersand and Stillmoor..

PS.. I'm not suggesting you scrap the current method.. KEEP it if that is your cup of tea.. I'm suggesting others that do NOT enjoy that playstyle have an alternative.. which can co-exist.. No reason for people to fight about it..
    I agree with the other guy...

I mean, the only way I want a new grind added to the game is if I get something that has nothing to do with gear. But, at the same time, why attack mobs for 30 hours, alone, randomly, in some random zone...when I could just farm artifacts and achievements for titles and such?

I love that people want to suggest stuff, but you need more to it. Where's the point? What is it going to be like? Why would anyone want to solo 5,000 boars over the course of 30 hours for the same piece of gear someone else gets in one instance run? Or, a similar pet to someone who got a random achievement in 15 mins?

Of course, it isn't always like that...but there needs to be a pull in the system more than the end rewards.

You can't grind for 30 hours for one thing. You need incentives sprinkled along the path, like carrots on a stick.

I wanna say I'd be the guy who swam halfway across the ocean and swam back because he was tired with a system of pure grind, no checkmarks between the grind start and end.

(this is why devs get paid to think, and not us)

Banned

So in other words you stay with the status quo of dungeon and raid grinders having the monopoly on gear? So those that do not like or desire that option should be punished and SOL? Isn't that rather selfish? That only YOUR type of grind is acceptable.. Cause that is how you are coming across..

Rift Chaser

I have no problem whatsoever with grinding, as long as it is fun and toward a unique goal. What I'd like to see is a grind that spans across all realms: rifts, raids, group dungeons, slivers. Basically expanding the plainarite concept to non-rift closing stuff like raids and dungeons, or maybe using the golden eggs, I dunno.

And the reward? Well it can be anything you choose to spend the currency on: cosmetic upgrades, titles, new mounts, new pets, illusions, player homes (yep, homes), and for the gear lovers, you can add gear slots (face, back, wrists, etc) and associated gear for those slots.

True, most will opt for the gear slots as the reason for grinding, but if you think about it, that's great for the non-gear lovers, who will be able to piggy back on those folks (by forming groups with them) to get their own unique rewards like dyes, illusions, mounts, etc

+ Reply to Thread