+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upcoming Outdoor 50+ Zone Ideas

Ascendant

Default Upcoming Outdoor 50+ Zone Ideas

So we know from Gersh's post that a 50+ Outdoor zone is in the offing, and not a raid zone (Sorry you EQ fans, no Planes of Power). What do we want to see Trion do here? I'll post a few things I'd like to see, and hopefully other can contribute some good feedback.

Well as for me, we can gather this zone is not going to have much in the way of questing unless they are planning to raise the level cap, which I doubt. So what should be in this zone? A few ideas:

Epic quests. Some large chain group quests, using 2-5 person groups. Giving some good rewards.

New Rifts that are harder (ie the usual rifts are more like current major 50's and the major's are more like current experts).

Lots of rare spawns inside a sort of large outdoor dungeon where the normal mobs drop good loot at rare percentages (remember back in the old days when you would run a noninstanced dungeon 10 or 20 times in hopes that this one trash mob would drop that one belt you wanted?) and the rare bosses are staggered but spawn often enough that camping them isn't necessary. The reason why world bosses don't work in WoW is because they always drop good loot and so therefore the spawn timer is set on like half a day or many days as opposed to a rarer chance to drop loot, but a 1 or 2 hours spawn. If something like that was done, I guarantee you it wouldn't be camped like world bosses in WoW are. And some of these bosses could be a tough fight but soloable, and some might be designed for a group. Maybe color code the rare diamond indicator. Green meaning possible to solo, blue meaning possible to duo, purple meaning possible to 3 man, orange meaning possible to 4 man and red meaning possible to 5 man. There could also be an enlarged white diamond icon for rare spawn world (raid) bosses.

I would like to see a few world raid bosses, but not to many.

A higher occurance of rifts, invasions and zonewides would make this zone a destination for people seeking to do level 50 dynamic content.

A planarite vendor with rewards that are actually useful.

A large 5 man dungeon with multiple wings and a lockout timer, something along the lines of a hammerknell that can be done with a 5 man group but puts forth a big challenge. People have said for years that it is possible to do this sort of 5 man content, WoW has come pretty close actually with some of their end expansion heroic 5 mans, but they haven't ever done a smaller group large dungeon, the closest was Karazhan. I think Trion can do it.

So thats what I would like to see, what would you guys like to see in the new zone? While Trion is still working on this zone, lets give them some good ideas to implement!

ETA: I also think it would be really cool if you could implement a zonewide public group system in the dungeon area. Thats not to say you couldn't private off, if you want. But it would be cool to utilize the public group system a little more. It helps foster the community aspect of the game.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 06-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Telaran

agree
    --------

more content like "expert rift" in open world. designed for casual players

maybe random boss spawn without actual "invasion" hapening.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    So we know from Gersh's post that a 50+ Outdoor zone is in the offing, and not a raid zone (Sorry you EQ fans, no Planes of Power). What do we want to see Trion do here? I'll post a few things I'd like to see, and hopefully other can contribute some good feedback.

Well as for me, we can gather this zone is not going to have much in the way of questing unless they are planning to raise the level cap, which I doubt. So what should be in this zone? A few ideas:

Epic quests. Some large chain group quests, using 2-5 person groups. Giving some good rewards.

New Rifts that are harder (ie the usual rifts are more like current major 50's and the major's are more like current experts).

Lots of rare spawns inside a sort of large outdoor dungeon where the normal mobs drop good loot at rare percentages (remember back in the old days when you would run a noninstanced dungeon 10 or 20 times in hopes that this one trash mob would drop that one belt you wanted?) and the rare bosses are staggered but spawn often enough that camping them isn't necessary. The reason why world bosses don't work in WoW is because they always drop good loot and so therefore the spawn timer is set on like half a day or many days as opposed to a rarer chance to drop loot, but a 1 or 2 hours spawn. If something like that was done, I guarantee you it wouldn't be camped like world bosses in WoW are. And some of these bosses could be a tough fight but soloable, and some might be designed for a group. Maybe color code the rare diamond indicator. Green meaning possible to solo, blue meaning possible to duo, purple meaning possible to 3 man, orange meaning possible to 4 man and red meaning possible to 5 man. There could also be an enlarged white diamond icon for rare spawn world (raid) bosses.

I would like to see a few world raid bosses, but not to many.

A higher occurance of rifts, invasions and zonewides would make this zone a destination for people seeking to do level 50 dynamic content.

A planarite vendor with rewards that are actually useful.

<...>

ETA: I also think it would be really cool if you could implement a zonewide public group system in the dungeon area. Thats not to say you couldn't private off, if you want. But it would be cool to utilize the public group system a little more. It helps foster the community aspect of the game.
    Good suggestions.

Remember though the idea Trion have is to not allow any progression via these methods, with the thoughts that people will raid and enjoy raiding. I mean all those veggies in your restaurant, take veggie food of the menu and they will eat meat won't they, I mean they won't just go to a veggie restaurant will they. Who would not eat bacon? Bacon is the bizz.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 06-17-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Good suggestions.

Remember though the idea Trion have is to not allow any progression via these methods, with the thoughts that people will raid and enjoy raiding. I mean all those veggies in your restaurant, take veggie food of the menu and they will eat meat won't they, I mean they won't just go to a veggie restaurant will they. Who would not eat bacon? Bacon is the bizz.
    I know you think that, but I don't believe that is the case, otherwise they wouldn't be wasting time developing it. Everyone seems to be forgetting that with the exception of GP (which even that started development shortly after launch due to the outcry against not having 10/20 versions of all raids), every raid they have put out since launch has been something they were really working on for launch but just didn't have time to get into the game.

I think both of us hope you are wrong.

Any other ideas on what we would like to see in this zone beyond what I posted?
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    I know you think that, but I don't believe that is the case, otherwise they wouldn't be wasting time developing it. Everyone seems to be forgetting that with the exception of GP (which even that started development shortly after launch due to the outcry against not having 10/20 versions of all raids), every raid they have put out since launch has been something they were really working on for launch but just didn't have time to get into the game.

I think both of us hope you are wrong.

Any other ideas on what we would like to see in this zone beyond what I posted?
    Scott Hartsman: There are different routes for people to get interesting things; you wonít get the same things multiple ways generally. If you doing a lot of rift content for example then you will get essences that can create items with entirely customized stats, which is pretty cool. Different activities will give you different kinds of rewards; there are some activities that will lead up into useful rewards. Warfronts and artifact collections will net you some good gear, but there will be enough incentive to make you want to raid to get that gear. I think people focus too much some times on their not being able to get everything in the game based on the way they want to play and I donít think you need a game where thatís the case Ė if you make the activities fun enough players will want to try them with their friends.
    There are purposely placed road blocks to "make you want to raid". Those road blocks were no more clear than no lvl 50 gear from invasions.

I don't log in anymore.

Ascendant

There are purposely placed road blocks to "make you want to raid". Those road blocks were no more clear than no lvl 50 gear from invasions.
    There is a vast difference between progression and the best gear. While I personally don't feel the same way as Scott (I think you can make challenging endgame content that doesn't require more than 5 people) he most definitely did not say you won't have alternative paths of progression aside from raiding, he just said the best stuff would come from raiding. What possible purpose would they have to make a 50+ zone and more 50 instances other than progression for 50 outside of raiding?

Ascendant

Timer for editing the previous post ran out.

Moving on, I had another idea today for something to add another bit of the old school to this open world dungeon I proposed.

I hit upon this idea while searching for artifacts on the test server with Omen Sight. What if you are in this big underground open world dungeon, and you and the guy you are grouped with stumble upon a dead end. What if with Omen Sight you might have a chance of seeing a alternate reality where the cave continued on. These mini slivers, would be non instanced but only accessible for a short period of time if you or someone in your group has omen sight. These needn't be a full size dungeon, maybe just a few rooms, but the rooms would have a higher chance of spawning rare mobs, and the mobs therein would have more health and hit slightly harder (think the 3rd stage "boss" of a minor rift) but have a higher chance of dropping rare loot than their non-slivered counterparts do.

This is a bit of a combination of the existing implementation, combined with something that the old korean MMO, Nexus:TK used to use. Where you could sometimes stumble into an invisible warp tile that took you to a room with mobs that looked like the boss, but lacked its special abilities, but they had a good amount of health and hit harder but in turn would rarely drop good loot. There was also an increased chance for the boss himself to spawn in the room. So thats where the idea kind of came from. But its a pretty cool idea that once again adds a bit of a random element for explorer types.

I love random and I love rare. It no doubt always gets challenged by a mindset that believes that a reward is something which should be earned one way and one way only with no chance of some lucky sod ending up with something.
    The only time I believe it fails is when the random factor is not really random but easily worked out. Trion did get it right with the randomness of the world rares we have now (although there are the odd ones who seam to pop at server reset), but I'm sure you will have heard the complaints about those.

Another good idea. Keep 'em coming

I don't log in anymore.

Why would you want raid equivalent gear from non-raid zones? Isn't the pve already easy enough, why trivialize it even more with better gear.

Sure, have improvements but raid gear is for progression which allows you to do harder content. There's no reason for raid equivalent gear for people who don't raid. It would just make the game boring.

Sez

I love the enthusiasm guys, but don't you think the zone is already drawn up?

I mean, do you really think they are going to stay up all night on the 21st and create the zone from scratch?

The only thing still in the works are bug-checks, and class balance.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

I remember Scott saying that they wanted to add+expand the zones some and make them larger. So, I expect this to happen down the road (maybe next patch 1.4?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Why would you want raid equivalent gear from non-raid zones? Isn't the pve already easy enough, why trivialize it even more with better gear.

Sure, have improvements but raid gear is for progression which allows you to do harder content. There's no reason for raid equivalent gear for people who don't raid. It would just make the game boring.
    Did someone mention raid gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I love the enthusiasm guys, but don't you think the zone is already drawn up?

I mean, do you really think they are going to stay up all night on the 21st and create the zone from scratch?

The only thing still in the works are bug-checks, and class balance.
    I don't think there is a 50+ zone coming in 1.3.

I don't log in anymore.

Sez

I don't think there is a 50+ zone coming in 1.3.
    DevTracker

Quote Originally Posted by Gersh_Trion View Post
    Morning folks,

We mentioned at E3 that Hammerknell is only the begining of the new content we'll be launching in the next 3 to 6 months. We've got a ton of stuff coming down the pipe including
    • New 50+ outdoor zone
    • New 50+ dungeon
    • New 10 man instanced slivers
    • New largescale battle Warfront & and open world PvP events
    • New dynamic rift content & world events

Of course the details on these updates will be released a bit later on when we're closer to launch. But we are actively working on new content for all of our subscribers.

Thanks,
    Gersh
    You're right. They may or may not release the new zone with Hammerknell.

Carry on.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    DevTracker

You're right. They may or may not release the new zone with Hammerknell.

Carry on.
    From the whispers I've heard, the new zone is drawn up in that they have the concept and what not but I do very much doubt there is much in the way of any details, quests or mobs yet. I'm thinking 1.5 for the new zone. 1.4 looks to be the big pvp patch.

Randomness is a tricky thing, it has to be done in a way such as its not impossible (WoW with their ridiculously low drop rates on various mounts, and epic flavor weapons from vanilla end dungeon bosses) but it also can't be to predictable otherwise why do it. I don't see this game having to much of a problem going oldschool with the sort of random rarity mentality of an open world dungeon, it worked well for games like EQ and DAOC. And Rift isn't WoW sized and probably never will be so I don't see any downside to going back to that on a limited scale. Would this sort of thing work in a game with massive player pops like WoW? Probably not, but I think it can in Rift.

One thing I would like to see in this open world dungeon I've been talking about, is some rare crafting drops. We really need to spice up crafting. I'm not saying make these drops make super epic items, but rather more flavor related things like cool spell procs, cool looking weapons, glows or graphical enhancements, or charged abilties. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 06-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread