+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Housing Suggestion

Default Housing Suggestion

Ten thousand houses spread across the world, to me at least, isn't a good idea. There's not enough area, and it would clutter up the ones we have. Some games add "housing " areas where the houses all can go, like little sub-divisions, but they aren't natural. Others instance them... that's not fun.

However, I LIKE the overall idea... done right.

What if we could have actual "guildhalls" spread out in the current world? A guild would have to have at least 20 (or whatever) members, so people don't create a guild with 3 alts to get a building. It doesn't make sense to have a house in the middle of nowhere, but a guild hall, sure. It can be a anywhere. Also, some could be in cities, near outposts etc.. They'd be expensive, take time to build. (a money-sink and time-sink)

THEN... let each member have their own INSTANCED room "in" the hall. So the hall is visual, the rooms aren't. People could decorate their rooms however they like, bring others into their rooms, etc..

No clutter, we still have houses, more crafting due to this, more "to do", a place to hang out, etc.. (maybe on PvP servers they can be pirated and taken too?)

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

Honestly I like the idea but GOD it makes me miss EVE online, very unique game imo. Any who Rift I think this could be done possibly but it would be dangerous. I think it would be really cool but also hard to do right. And though I like the idea it is probably not worth the time to do so as much as I hate to say it. There are a number of people who will probably like the idea and other who will probably hate it.

My concern is both having it done in a way that does not affect the overall game play (for everyone else) but still allows the freedom of placement and for each guild to have one. Its a hard line to walk and in this game at least at this time I don't believe it should be done. I just think it is a bit too early and things need to settle first before a large venture such as this takes place.

Though keep in mind I would not mind seeing this down the road

Lightbulb

Why can't we make them instanced like a virtual place only guild members can access through portals. If we don't want to have halls all over the place then this idea might give some love toward the guilds. Decorations would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBattleMoose View Post
    Why can't we make them instanced like a virtual place only guild members can access through portals. If we don't want to have halls all over the place then this idea might give some love toward the guilds. Decorations would be nice too.
    I made a whole post about this but I got logged out and angry at the game...

I support instanced housing and portals from porticulums (can't spell that) leading to a menu or some such of guild, player, or friend houses you've been invited to.

Guild halls out in random zones is a terrible idea on many levels and a good idea on one. Good because you might bring life into deserted zones. Bad because you have added griefing power on PvP shards, if the outside is customizable it might look out of place or silly, it will look out of place/silly anyway, it's a hell of a lot more work to create the available space in zones and models for houses/guild halls than it is to just make the interior.

In my opinion, the exterior, revamping zones, and/or making new zones for housing would just take too much time and effort away from the much more rewarding and enjoyable aspects of player/guild housing like furniture, features, size, expansions, etcetc, and also the possiblity of a new tradeskill for making furniture/new artifact vanity item development.

Also, I totally don't support crafting vendors/trainers/loomsetc, class trainers, or auctioneers in guild halls, because it takes people away from cities and such where you can see and feel a population on a daily basis.

Telaran

Sure, I'm all for guild halls, but there's no reason unguilded folks couldn't get rooms at an inn of some sort. Say, a big inn in/outside Meridian, maybe some houseboats in Kelari Refuge (which really needs a porticulum, btw), that you can buy a room in to store your stuff and keep your loom or whatever. I agree that the auction house and bank should stay in the city, though; I like my main city to be bustling.

disclaimer - I've only ever played Defiant. I assume the Guardians want to sleep in the pews of some church in Sanctum.

+ Reply to Thread