+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where's the customization we were promised in advertising?

Shadowlander

Default Where's the customization we were promised in advertising?

So you're at end game, killed your way through numerous creatures to hit level 50, and played around with your skill sets to find what you liked. You start running expert dungeons to get gear because you'd like to eventually raid. Sometime during your adventures you start to learn more and more about your archtype and it's role or roles in a group/raid environment at max level. You start to learn that the number of options available to you in order for your toon to be considered 'good' at it's job are becoming more and more limited. Anyone who is playing this game at level 50 in full T2 gear or better will know what I'm talking about and some who ask alot of questions will recognize it too. Each archtype has 8 souls with points in up to 3 of them at a time. I'm not very good at math but I know that the number of combinations is more than 2 or 3 yet that is what you are left with if you want to be considered 'good' at your class. With parsers out there it dosn't matter if the mob dies. If you can't put out 'X' number for dps or healing you are in trouble. Whatever. I could care less what other people think. What I do care about is playing my class well, and having fun. Yet there are problems I'm seeing that aren't being addressed. We're getting fluff implemented when the core, the SOULS, need to be worked on and brought into line with each other. As things stand it looks like either trion is wanting groups/raids of nothing but rogues/clerics, or they are trying to nerf overall damage output to bring the high hitters down to the other soul callings in each archtype because they certainly aren't raising the other souls to compensate and create any diversity in the dps arena. Warriors are tanks or melee, mages are ranged dps or ranged dps with group benefits. Rogues and Clerics are, tanks, ranged/melee dps, buffers/support healers, or outright healers in the case of Clerics. Seems that in terms of role diversity the current setup favors rogues and clerics. Forget mitigation should = dps output. This is Rift, a whole new game, and I'd like to see some customization options in how I play my chosen archtype and still be viable for grouping and/or raiding.

Wanna level the playing field? Possible solutions to the current problems.

Give warriors a heal soul and ranged soul. Give mages a tank and melee soul. Continue fixing the known issues with clerics and rogues. Bring all dps souls (within each archtype) in line with each other. Pick an archtype for each main roll and make them better at it than the rest, oh wait that system is alrdy in place but not being used currently......warriors should tank best, rogues melee best, mages ranged dps best (mage ranged dps and rogue melee dps should be on par with each other), clerics heal best, yet anyone of them should be able to fill another roll at will and do almost as well as the main archtype for that particular role. How come this hasn't been done? Another issue is PVP and PVE, make the PVP flag change stats to suit PVP. Want to not have to listen to people get ticked off, whine, and rage? Stop adjusting PVE to suit PVP. Make the PVP flag actually change skills to suit player targets. It's a flag, it's either enabled or not. That way you actually have two games in one and not one game that you're trying to adjust for two game play types. You're going to lose one side of your player base that way. This game was sold on it's 'customization' and 'innovation'. Well I'm waiting to see it. I'm still here because I really like the concept behind this game. I'm still waiting for it to deliver.
    Last edited by Dvious1; 06-15-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Soulwalker

Oooh, I want a spell blade or a battlemage class! Gief!

Quote Originally Posted by Dvious1 View Post
    Give warriors a heal soul and ranged soul. Give mages a tank and melee soul..
    You have GOT to be kidding? There's already more possibilities with each character than any game in history. You want to wear plate and be ranged DPS or wear cloth and tank...

Why even have classes?

There's no way you could possibly do a raid without warriors or mages... so you're just a little paranoid me thinks.

Z
    Last edited by Znick; 06-16-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    You have GOT to be kidding? There's already more possibilities with each character than any game in history. You want to wear plate and be ranged DPS or wear cloth and tank...

Why even have classes?

There's no way you could possibly do a raid without warriors or mages... so you're just a little paranoid me thinks.

Z
    Please don't use things out of context. What you're quoting is part of the solutions. Read the solutions as a whole. Making the pvp flag adjust skills to be used against players when the pvp flag is enabled wouldn't make 'plate ranged' deadly. It wouldn't make mages unkillable in warfronts. See? The skills/talents would be changed for 'against players' content. PVP flag turned off would change the skills/talents to be used in PVE. This is a comment from a pvp'r perspective, who dosn't raid I'm betting. Try to curb your 'selective reading', it's just as bad as 'selective hearing'. Trion could take it one step further if this was implemented. Instances flagged as PVE or PVP, so even on pvp servers you walk into an instance that is set as pve your skills are set for pve content. As well as PVP flagged instances where there could be group pvp/pve content again adjusting stats/skills back to a pvp setup. There are many options and customizations that would be available with a system like this. It would also keep BOTH sides of their playerbase happy.

Variety is good; homogenization is not.

Sez

Call me add, call me tl;dr...

But those walls of text hurt my eyes... I'm super sereal.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

I read half of the OP's post and got lost. Maybe it was the wall of text or the rambling? Im not sure. Maybe think about what you're trying to say and explain it better.

If you're going on about the soul tree's being crappy, well, I too think they need work. But as they are im pretty happy.

Server: Now at Laethys (Was: Estrael)
    Toon: FrozenBlood
    Class: warrior - Raid Tank - (G)
    Guild: --

Default My two cents

Make the PVP flag actually change skills to suit player targets. It's a flag, it's either enabled or not. That way you actually have two games in one and not one game that you're trying to adjust for two game play types.
    I just want to comment on this part in particular. The way you say it makes it seem nice and simple and though yes they do have a flag all ready just for this, that flag cannot logically be used to control whether each spell/skill is being used against a player.

PvP Shard Reason: On PvP shards you are leveling up like any other person and you finally reach the Scarlet Gorge. Wooo! except given this flag you are auto flagged for PvP in contested area's on a PvP Shard. This would in your fix create a problem. For all of your spells/skills would become their PvP versions and sure that's fine when killing another play you find, however, that is going to greatly upset the PvE and leveling in any area level 28-30(ish) and above.

PvE/RP Shard Rearson:
    Similar to the PvP shards, though you don't flag often it would create less of an upset. But lets say you do flag for whatever reason, maybe you choose to partake in one of the PvP objectives around like capturing a wardstone. POOF! You are PvP flagged. AND for the same reasons as above against PvE you have lost your edge. And to top it off you cannot lose the flag for 5 minutes.

Now your probably thinking that you can just check the target to see if its a player but, at best this is checking every time we switch targets and at worst it is checking every time we cast a spell or ability. This also creates a large amount of extra data to be added to the game. Meaning that it cannot be implemented all that quickly and would be game changing for PvP making it at least a large content patch.

Lastly I don't believe the Dev's want two games in one or I think they would have taken this route already. I still have faith in Trion but I personally have high doubts on this part.

As for the rest I doubt the whole ranged warrior and melee mage thing, but I can see them overhauling the classes a bit for balance purposes.

warriors should tank best, rogues melee best, mages ranged dps best (mage ranged dps and rogue melee dps should be on par with each other), clerics heal best, .
    SO you want to take what's different about this game and shove everyone back into the same old boxes some of us came here to get away from?

I've no problem with each class being able to create a build that offers ranged/melee dps, tanking, heals or support as long as each class has a different signature style (ranged warriors can always take a passive armour debuff in the build reducing them to the same levels as a mail wearer) .

Just lets not fall back into the idea that any one class should be automatically better in a given role simply because other games have used that formula
    (Bechka, Machine Born)
    Knowledge is power: Power corrupts; Study hard , be evil

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    Why even have classes?
    Ive been ready for a classless skill system since NGE stomped all over SWG. I see no problem with the concept of not having classes what so ever.

As far as the OP goes...

Yeah, dude, you maker no sense. you are literally typing circular arguments with yourself.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Where's the groundbreaking PvP we were promised in advertising leading up to the game? All I'm seeing is a cookie cutter WoW clone that copy and pasted battlegrounds and has the same boring Red Team vs Blue Team faction combat only without overlapping questing areas so that you aren't put face to face with your enemy unless you choose to go over to their side of the map (and good luck finding anyone there if you do).

no idea what this thread is about cause that Wall of text hurt my eyes....so just posting to say...."SUP"
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I'm super sereal.
    Mr. Vice President?! O.o
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

+ Reply to Thread