+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tier Gear - Boring, Needs flavor!

Unhappy Tier Gear - Boring, Needs flavor!

Hello All,

I'll try keep this short and concise. Over the past several years players of MMO’s have become accustomed to a certain level of content and features. Rift have met most of them with great success.

However, as a Raider who is constantly at the front of the content and progression, I’ve noticed something is missing with gear.

All Tier armour is basically the same, with a 10-15% stat increase per Tier. While this is good on one hand to create simple choices to players regarding gear, I think the Tier armour should have more flavour, such as;
    • Set bonus’s
    • Effects on weapons that would proc effects
    • Effects on armour that award buffs based on criteria, such as 20 spell power on crit.
    Now I did have this thought when I first saw the Tier Gear, however I just thought Trion was starting simple and would award more interesting gear down the track. However this will be the 3rd raid content Tier, and still no real interesting Tier Gear.
    Last edited by Flaymar; 06-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    Hello All,

I'll try keep this short and concise. Over the past several years players of MMOís have become accustomed to a certain level of content and features. Rift have met most of them with great success.

However, as a Raider who is constantly at the front of the content and progression, Iíve noticed something is missing with gear.

All Tier armour is basically the same, with a 10-15% stat increase per Tier. While this is good on one hand to create simple choices to players regarding gear, I think the Tier armour should have more flavour, such as;
    • Set bonusís
    • Effects on weapons that would proc effects
    • Effects on armour that award buffs based on criteria, such as 20 spell power on crit.
    Now I did have this thought when I first saw the Tier Gear, however I just thought Trion was starting simple and would award more interesting gear down the track. However this will be the 3rd raid content Tier, and still no real interesting Tier Gear.
    I agree, more gear is always nice.

not really more gear, just set bonus's etc

Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    not really more gear, just set bonus's etc
    I think this will happen as the game progresses. I also like set bonues and unique procs, but the game is still under 4 months (or so).

The new raid zone has some pretty potent gear/weapons and I expect even better stuff shortly.

totally agree ( and actually made same suggestion about a month ago), current sets feels very dull and boring.

I couldn't agree more. I'm someone who generally only continues to play games like this if I have something to work towards and now that I've hit the level cap the only thing left to drive me on is gear and I'm pretty bummed about the limited options for new and better gear at this point. I think this game is not only is desperate need of more variety of gear but also more variety of bonus said gear gives and in aesthetics as well. The Gear I have now doesn't really feel or look all that different than the gear I had at lvl 30. I want to be able to look at my character and say 'Yep, he looks like a level 50 bad ***" and I want to look at my gears stats and be able to say "Yep, that's some awesome stat bonuses worthy of a lvl 50 character!" and I just can't do that at this point.

Don't get me wrong, new gameplay content is good as well but you really don't have the amount of time to take it all in like you do with with your character and how he/she looks and performs.
    "Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is." -C.S. Lewis

www.immortalmachines.com

Rift definately needs more gear styles. from lv 1-50 imo. all the way from pvp, to quest reward gear to eipc crafted gear and yes op of course the raiding gear too!

They did a great job with textures of gear and a fair job of coloring but the variety is terrible and frankly most look quite bad.
    very few gear pieces are visually flattering, in any way. their "style" is frumpy /bland and not well designed in my personal opinion.

i will not be raiding at end game but for op suggestion, i really do hope they spice up the end game gear for those that do raid, stat wise, look wise , anyway to help ppl be more happy with it.

as long as they also spice up (at least the look of) the quest/crafted gear as well. i do not mean alter stats of it,but that doesnt mean it has to look,.......well........terrible.

any epic gear from crafted to reward tier gear should look vastly different and a heck of alot better designed

and dyes should recolor to actual color specified, not muted or mixed with original, white dye over dark brown should result in solid white,not a puke light brownish mix. now i realize that the muted brownish color IS the realistic result of mixing the 2 colors ,but this is a game , rl rules need not apply lol, allowing pure color changes alone would even improve customization of gear alot more then it does now.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Alleriana View Post
    Rift definately needs more gear styles. from lv 1-50 imo. all the way from pvp, to quest reward gear to eipc crafted gear and yes op of course the raiding gear too!

They did a great job with textures of gear and a fair job of coloring but the variety is terrible and frankly most look quite bad.
    very few gear pieces are visually flattering, in any way. their "style" is frumpy /bland and not well designed in my personal opinion.

i will not be raiding at end game but for op suggestion, i really do hope they spice up the end game gear for those that do raid, stat wise, look wise , anyway to help ppl be more happy with it.

as long as they also spice up (at least the look of) the quest/crafted gear as well. i do not mean alter stats of it,but that doesnt mean it has to look,.......well........terrible.

any epic gear from crafted to reward tier gear should look vastly different and a heck of alot better designed

and dyes should recolor to actual color specified, not muted or mixed with original, white dye over dark brown should result in solid white,not a puke light brownish mix. now i realize that the muted brownish color IS the realistic result of mixing the 2 colors ,but this is a game , rl rules need not apply lol, allowing pure color changes alone would even improve customization of gear alot more then it does now.

I would love more dyes and dyes that dyed what they look like in the jar. I can mix and match better that way.

I would also love more variety in the white loot to change my wardrobe. Anything that adds flavor without stats would be nice. Not everything has to be stat driven.

Rift Chaser

What Rift really needs:
    1. More Content (dungeon, raid, raid rift, slivers)
    2. Less gear drops

You want the rewards to be few and far between, not the "you get a trophy for just showing up" type.

Case in point: the only thing keeping me in Rift at the moment is Titanslayer (the 1h drop from Plutonis in T2). While it's a pita to see him die time and again w/o the 1h dropping, it very much keeps my motivation in the game.

This is more of what we need: rare drops that are HIGHLY desirable for each class; that come with a very unique discriminator over the run of the mill drops. The downside to Titanslayer in its current form is that it is only marginally better than the BoE hatchet that drops and can occasionally be found in the AH. Titanslayer or its class equivalent should be head and shoulders above the best BoE.

Another case in point from earlier MMOs:

Bloodfrenzy, Blade of War, Darkblade of the Warlord, Brutish Blade of Balance, all from EQ1. While these were all raid-level weapons, it became every single warrior's epic desire to obtain those weapons. It kept motivation high, and it was exciting. This same concept can be applied to 5man group content with more items like Titanslayer that are extremely rare, but extremely valuable to that one class.
    Last edited by furo; 06-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread