+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Right-click XP bar = Disable/Enable XP gain

Thumbs up Right-click XP bar = Disable/Enable XP gain

What would keep me and my wife subscribing longer is the ability to toggle XP gain.

EQ2 has this option and we subbed for over 2 years before ever hitting max level. Contrarily, WoW, at the time, did not have an option to disable XP and we were finished in 6 months--with half of that time spent on dungeons/raiding--and never getting any of the lore/story/who's who--not memorable at all.

WoW is not something we'd care to repeat, whereas we'd reactivate EQ2 right now if it weren't for RIFT.

We are in no hurry to get to end-game content (which is good since RIFT is new) and would rather take our time, immerse ourselves and explore everything in detail. Rift-chasing/world events, being a secondary source of XP gain, levels our characters ahead of our quests, making the quests a boring green/grey grind rather than fun to play. The game's design contradicts itself in this regard.

Additionally, if one of us gets ahead of the other, we can't play together since the overpowered (OP) character will just do everything for the other character, displacing the underling from the game. The only way to get back in synch is for one to stop playing until the other catches up (we would never ask that) or for the other to rush to catch up, burning out and taking a break from the game and falling behind again. This is entertainment, not a race, so neither option is a viable solution.

I hate EQ2's mentor system. I like the idea of it but its implementation still keeps OP characters OP, thereby only giving OP characters a medium to displace lower-level characters. I don't want to _feel_ like I'm accomplishing anything, I want to actually accomplish it; I'm not from the 'trophy generation'.

XP gain toggle solves all these issues for anyone having them with the bottom line being the bottom line: we'll subscribe longer and won't complain about lack of content.

I agree that having a feature to enable/disable XP would add to the game for many of the same reasons as posted above. Not everyone enjoys the speed-leveling that is expected in MMO's these days.

If this feature is added, I also agree it should be able to be toggled on the character instead of having to visit an NPC.

Soulwalker

I can undrstand your opinion but if this happens i hope that they will ask i you rlly want to stopnit even if it is temporarily cuz i wouldnt be happy if its on when you dont know or want it or if you toggled it by accident. And that every time you log out when its active and you log in again it toggles back on because poepel tend to forget such tings after a while.(dont worry if i make mistakes so dont bother correcting em ;p

The problem is twinking. Somone getting full epic, enchanted gear, going in at level 19/29/39/49 and rolling everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

I can't understand where this would be of any use... people quest to gain xp, and if that's not why you're questing then why care if the quest is green, yellow, or even gray? If you want more content then break up your Rift playing with other games and wait for new content to hit the board. The reason why I'm against this however is because it would be used to stay in a certain pvp lvl bracket forever until being godly geared for that bracket which leads to nothing else but guilds dominating the brackets and creating flame wars. I saw it in Shaiya where you could stay in one bracket forever and it's not something I'd like to see repeated.
    Last edited by Belterra; 06-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    The problem is twinking. Somone getting full epic, enchanted gear, going in at level 19/29/39/49 and rolling everyone.
    Blizzard prevented that by forcing twinks to PvP only with twinks.
    Last edited by RoloX2; 06-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Belterra View Post
    I can't understand where this would be of any use...
    Did you even read all of my post? I spelled out where; what part did you not understand?

people quest to gain xp,
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak for me. I don't quest to gain xp. My wife doesn't either. I'm sure we're not the only two MMO gamers like this.

why care if the quest is green, yellow, or even gray?
    Because that's less entertaining than a game of pick-up-sticks. There has to be a challenge, risk/reward for a game to be fun. What you are saying is that [all] "people" just grind to get to max level, which is a false blanket statement.

If you want more content then break up your Rift playing with other games and wait for new content to hit the board.
    Or I'll just play games that aren't faceroll/wait/play/faceroll/repeat, 90% unfun grind, 10% entertainment (which, to me, is completely asinine, but hamsters do seem to enjoy the wheel). This is a suggestion to Rift developers on what would improve my and my wife's Rift gaming experience (read: subscribing more than 3 months); I'm not asking for advice on how to spend our leisure time nor am I suggesting how all people should play.

The reason why I'm against this however is because it would be used to stay in a certain pvp lvl bracket forever until being godly geared for that bracket which leads to nothing else but guilds dominating the brackets and creating flame wars. I saw it in Shaiya where you could stay in one bracket forever and it's not something I'd like to see repeated.
    Blizzard overcame that (see above reply). There is a solution that offers everyone options without hindering anyone's experience. It gives twinks good, competitive play and keeps the rest safe from them. Gestalt, I'd say.
    Last edited by RoloX2; 06-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.

max pvp rank @ LVL 10...?
    who took my names!

Of course I can't speak for you, or anyone else. I can only speak on a general level because every rule has exceptions. And I did read, but maybe I simply don't agree with your points as to why it would be useful.

That said, I think it should take longer to lvl.
    Last edited by Belterra; 06-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

hard mode
    double damage received
    double loot
    50% xp

?
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 06-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    who took my names!

Another possible implementation, one or both menu options:

- Enable/Disable PvE XP gain
    - Enable/Disable PvP XP gain

If PvE XP gain were toggled only, one wouldn't be able to twink in PvP. Again, if PvP XP gain were disabled, then the player would go to the twink instances only.

re: hard mode, et al. The point isn't to prolong the game (though I do like hard modes; it worked in Guild Wars), the point is to not bypass the game, which is what happens when you actually play any part of it: it is to the exclusion of the others.

Soulwalker

I quite like the idea, i myself wouldn't use it but there are definitely those who would!

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    So they make it that when you join a warfront, xp is turned back on. Then the twink will try to turn if off, and receives a message "XP disabling is prohibited in warfronts". Simple ;)
    Last edited by Sharzil; 06-14-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Twinking is already quite powerful as it is. This would be a big problem and should not be added. What's stopping you from just continueing to "explore" and do what you want to do now? Once you get high enough you stop getting xp anyways?? WHy???

/facepalm
    Last edited by inaliz; 06-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread