+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion- FPS/CPU/GPU optimizations?

Telaran

Default Trion- FPS/CPU/GPU optimizations?

As everybody already knows, Rift could definitely use some optimization when it comes to smoothing out framerates. Even with the beastliest computers, the game gets choppy in major hubs and cities when there are lots of npc's/pc's/buildings in the area.

I just wanted to know if Trion had any plans on optimizing the game to improve framerates at any point in the future?

I would much rather keep my settings on slightly lower settings just to make sure there are NPCs in the capital cities. I don't want any more dead cities like we saw in WoW (Where there were only the neccesary NPCs and no more)

If you're talking about graphicly changing the game, other than removing stuff, to make it easier on CPUs, Then ignore this post ;p

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Juuron View Post
    I would much rather keep my settings on slightly lower settings just to make sure there are NPCs in the capital cities. I don't want any more dead cities like we saw in WoW (Where there were only the neccesary NPCs and no more)

If you're talking about graphicly changing the game, other than removing stuff, to make it easier on CPUs, Then ignore this post ;p
    Yah- I'm not talking about removing buildings and NPC's to improve FPS...I'm talking about optimizing the game engine so that the objects render more efficiently, thus improving performance.
    Last edited by Kurtdh; 06-14-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtdh View Post
    As everybody already knows, Rift could definitely use some optimization when it comes to smoothing out framerates. Even with the beastliest computers, the game gets choppy in major hubs and cities when there are lots of npc's/pc's/buildings in the area.

I just wanted to know if Trion had any plans on optimizing the game to improve framerates at any point in the future?

I currently run a i7 920 at 4.3ghz and a gtx285 2gig at 1920x1080. Every setting is maxxed out except AA is on edge smoothing and I am currently getting 45-60 fps with vsync on.

Personally I think people just need to learn to tweak there systems more.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Akogot View Post
    I currently run a i7 920 at 4.3ghz and a gtx285 2gig at 1920x1080. Every setting is maxxed out except AA is on edge smoothing and I am currently getting 45-60 fps with vsync on.

My system is a lot less powerful than yours and I can pull 60 fps in certain areas as well....it's the congested hub's and cities and large scale pvp battles I'm talking about in particular.

I've played on my friends system, which is similar to yours (except he has a faster video card), and even his system slows down considerably in the congested hubs.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtdh View Post
    My system is a lot less powerful than yours and I can pull 60 fps in certain areas as well....it's the congested hub's and cities and large scale pvp battles I'm talking about in particular.

I've played on my friends system, which is similar to yours (except he has a faster video card), and even his system slows down considerably in the congested hubs.
    IDK what is going wrong with your systems then because mine doesnt bog down in area with lots of things going on.

Also maybe try disabling nagle's algorithm.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574
    Last edited by Akogot; 06-14-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Telaran

IDK what is going wrong with your systems then because mine doesnt bog down in area with lots of things going on.

Also maybe try disabling nagle's algorithm.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574
    Thanks for the advice..however, nagle's algorithm won't effect what we're talking about. Disabling this algorithm will reduce latency in certain games, but that's concerning "net lag" as opposed to "gpu lag." Disabling this algorithm will not increase your FPS or increase the rendering power of your CPU/GPU, so unfortunately it won't help in this case.

Question

People shouldn't have to tweak "there" [sic] systems for a program to work properly on a system that far exceeds the recommended requirements. However, if you know something we don't, by all means, share.

The first rift I've done, I dropped to 10 FPS. Since then, I reset AutoAdjustSettings to True and left it alone. Its playabe (20-30 FPS mostly steady) but looks awful.

My wife and I have GTX 580s @ 850/2100, 1920x1200 and it matters little which settings we use, unless we're in the middle of nowhere, we never break 35 FPS, never see 60 FPS, typically get 18-24 FPS in town, rifts, busy areas. My GPU can be at 16% utilisation, CPUs at 75% and we'll get 24 FPS. Hardware doesn't appear to be the bottleneck.

So what did you tweak to get your solid 60 FPS?

Telaran

The engine just needs more optimizing...I can do mass scale PVP in WoW with very little FPS slowdown, and while the graphics in Rift are better than in WoW..they aren't THAT much better.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RoloX2 View Post
    So what did you tweak to get your solid 60 FPS?
    Well first off, it has been well documented that if your cpu is under powered it will bottleneck your GPU.
    i7920 at 3.6ghz was the sweet spot for a 285gtx.

Also might want to check your pci-e to make sure you are getting 16x or at least 8x if you are running sli then 16x16 16x8 8x8 is all exceptable because of the bandwidth of the bus.

Lastly and I think that this might be it for alot of you is to tweak your memory setting if you can.
    I have ddr3 2200 6 gigs all on separate channels and have the mhz downclocked so that I could tighted the timings.

Also it has been said on tech powerup that you could get better results if you disable HT for games.
    I would try doing that first before anything else.

Editted to add links
    PCI-E Bus real world performance.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...16x16_vs_x4x4/

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...16x16_vs_x8x8/
    Last edited by Akogot; 06-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Welcome to playing on a Gamebryo engine. Say what you like about WoWs art style, but that was one hell of an MMO engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Thumbs down

Well first off, it has been well documented that if your cpu is under powered it will bottleneck your GPU.
    Which is why I made it a point to mention that my CPUs aren't even close to being pegged.

PCI-E is x16 memory is tuned, HT is N/A.

This begs the question: on castrated settings on higher-end hardware, what is this volume of data could possibly be bottlenecked? (not to mention how many systems aren't high-end?)

Many others are posting the same problem and I'm not seeing a solution, only some basic things to try that would cause FPS issues but aren't the cause or simply wouldn't explain 16 FPS or the disparity between Rift and every other game's FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RoloX2 View Post
    Which is why I made it a point to mention that my CPUs aren't even close to being pegged.

PCI-E is x16 memory is tuned, HT is N/A.

This begs the question: on castrated settings on higher-end hardware, what is this volume of data could possibly be bottlenecked? (not to mention how many systems aren't high-end?)

Many others are posting the same problem and I'm not seeing a solution, only some basic things to try that would cause FPS issues but aren't the cause or simply wouldn't explain 16 FPS or the disparity between Rift and every other game's FPS.
    Even with a high end card, your card is doing about twice as much work as it shoudl be. Since Rift doesn't support dx9, it takes much more processing power out of your GPU to get the same performance/quality as a dx11 game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    Even with a high end card, your card is doing about twice as much work as it shoudl be. Since Rift doesn't support dx9, it takes much more processing power out of your GPU to get the same performance/quality as a dx11 game.
    You didn't read the part where my GPU was at 16% utilisation and I'll still have 24 FPS did you?

Additionally, Rift does support dx9 by passing a parameter.

+ Reply to Thread