+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What I would like to see in Rift is more rift action!

Soulwalker

Default What I would like to see in Rift is more rift action!

First of all, congratulations to your team on what I think/believe to be your first major title, no small task! Much like moderating this forum... ;p.
    I have pursed the forum as I was getting a little stuck with what to do at level 50 other than dungeons, raids, reputation, stand in the major city etc. Honestly, the lfg tool is/was getting a little old, but I digress. What I really wanted to see was how many things rifts do. As far as I can tell there are open world rifts, raiding rifts, expert rifts and crafting rifts. The rifts look amazing; I particularly like the Geyger-isk water rifts with their aliens like orifice dangling down. Call me sick, if you will.
    I would like, however, to suggest (or possibly know if this is already planned) that more can be done with this gameís namesake signature piece. I like the random groups of invasions, no time spent in lfg or organising a raid or grinding out reputation. I love the game play, had one the other day where it was touch and go until we collectively worked it out by all most subliminal mental cohesion and a couple of bright players making moves with their inborn leadership skills. We kept the stone safe and defeated the invaders with what were half the normal needed people for an epic invasion, nice.
    It got me thinking, what if we could invade back? If a portal can be opened, why canít it be traversed? I know this would take time and a rather large xpac/expansion to program and release, but it would be fun to see the water, fire, earth etc realms with a random raid group. You could set missions or objectives inside them. They could be programmed in via/a.k.a. the dungeon system. I would also like to see more variation in what needs to be done when an invasion happens. An example could be that a fire invasion won and now has taken control of a defiant/guardian castle or fort and now you need to win it back, therefore if a group that has failed to hold the stones etc can rally and get more support, they can still gain rewards from an invasion gone in favour of the invaders. Currently it is game over in a way; I usually head to a teleporter.
    How about rift pvp? You are happily killing each other when boom, a rift opens in a warfront. Instant extra faction. Might be one too many, Iím not sure but could fun to have a three way battle for control that mixes pvp/pve together. It would take more than just the usual team holds here strategy to win. Of course too much of this would get labourious and dull, but if you opened up the warfronts in term of numbers or made a new one where this consideration was taken into account, it might work.
    Or in terms of pvp and pve, a new warzone that can be entered for level 50s. All the rift factions are there, battling for control and so are the guardians and defiants. All types of rifts can open. It could be timed, you can pvp the other faction (d/g) or pve the rifts (you and your groups choice), have game play mechanics (e.g. hold the point,) collect rewards and crafting materials and make new crafting drops easier to implement into the game through this zone. The pvp aspect of this could be improved by both g/d wanting to close a certain rift, call it an epic rift, where the random rewards are higher. Of course the factions will want it/defend it too.
    Or a rift invasion that takes control of either Sanctum or Meridian? Say itís Sanctum and they put out a call for help to Meridian. Defiants head to Sanctum through the teleporter. Invasion is stopped, but now guardians surround defiants so they leave. Do the defiants engage the guardians or return home peacefully? Kill 50 of the opposing faction in their/your city achievements could happen. You can give buffs to players (under level 50) that gives them equivalent or near equivalency AP/SP/HP etc while the city invasion(s) is/are going on so they donít get one shot, but no more skills than they have already, like the warzone buff.
    I am sure people can come up with a lot of great ideas and I think people would enjoy more involvement with rifts, given that this is what this game is about. Itís called Rift, the rifts are the most interesting part of the game IMO, one of the most beautiful aspects to look at (the map (has topology) and graphics are excellent as well) and could be Trionís source to make this game truly revolutionary. Raids, set warfronts, reputation grinding and dungeons for me at least, are unworthy of the title revolutionary, although I also reckon that they have their place in the game.
    You could make a rift tier set, similar to raiders, so that non raiders can also have the nice stuff (gear wise) via rift plaques or glyphed <x>. They could have less stats but more resist by a little.

Cheers for reading.

Soulwalker

i like the ideas of the rifts taking over a major city, or heck even the smaller ones...i hate how when they make a foothold, they dont "take over" the city...they just walk around in circles, and as the ppl respawn they run over and basically die....if they were to take over the city/town, and their own forces "occupy" the place.....it would be a whole lot more.....interesting....especially for those who logged off in the area when it was still ...."home controlled" lol then log on behind enemy lines....and the WF rifts would be great...would kind of level the playing field when you que into a premade, and they have to deal with you, and the rift.. anyways thumbs up on the post....enjoyed reading it

Ahhh, rampant wall of text!

Say itís Sanctum and they put out a call for help to Meridian.
    And then we chuckle gleefully and say "Serves you right for destroying our city... in the future!"
    ~*~Dureena Nafeel~*~
    ~*~Defiant Cleric of Faeblight~*~

Quote Originally Posted by crono14 View Post
    Ahhh, rampant wall of text!
    Have you heard of books, if you think that is bad then I can see you must not be very literary minded.

Go back to school and learn. Yes the OP hasn't done it the way most like on the forums and has used words more than 4 letters so many of you will be confused, but a simple piece of reading like that and the 2nd reply in is absolutely silly. The 8 to 10 year olds I help with reading and maths in school could do this, why can't you.

As to the OP, some nice ideas, I would love to see more active and dynamic rift events myself. Hopefully the new caravan one in Shimmersand is just a taste of things to come, they seem to be getting more interesting all the time.

+ Reply to Thread