+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to balance the game without screwing it over

Shadowlander

Default How to balance the game without screwing it over

Its very simple to balance an MMO game without screwing over either PvP or PvE. Just make skills work differently in PvP and PvE.

Say in Rift, if you and your target are both flagged for PvP, then a skill will work differently compared to if you are not. This way you factor in both World PvP and Warfront PvP since you have to be flagged for PvP to hit a Guardian if you yourself are Defiant.
    In duels of course the skills would work as they do if you are flagged for PvP and you wouldn't be able to duel in instances to counter exploits.

ArenaNet implemented a similar system in Guild Wars and it fixed just about everything. They never had to screw over PvE just because a skill was overpowered in PvP.

//Evixy of Sparkwing-EU

Soulwalker

Deffo one of the best posts for a while about fixing PVE & PVP skills and balancing.

I have no problems with this though I can see where some people might complain about it getting confusing, if its done right I don't think there should be much issue and I have no complaints on the idea

Personally I have never had too big of an issue with this type of thing but I know that many have and I don't see why an approach of this sort would be bad at least to give it a test.

Good idea.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

I think another interesting idea would be to "unlock" pvp skills, you must complete challenges on players, say like a certain rotation to kill someone, heal X amount of dmg in a single wf, do X amount of damage in a single wf. Gain X amount of kills in the open world.

Also make some skills purchaseable through favor, encourage pvp world events and then have some sort of conditions to meet those. You could release different skills just for pvp for every soul! I think this would be a very interesting addition to the game.

Soulwalker

+1

It is a near impossibility to balance a game with so many variations and possibilities in class around both PVE and PVP simultaneously, Trion will always be chasing their tails trying to balance things out wihout upsetting one group or another.

This is a sensible solution for dividing up the two aspects of the game which could be balanced separately.

A headache to implement? Quite probably, but it would be easier to create a fairer playingfield from this standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Evixy of SWE View Post
    Its very simple to balance an MMO game without screwing over either PvP or PvE. Just make skills work differently in PvP and PvE.

Say in Rift, if you and your target are both flagged for PvP, then a skill will work differently compared to if you are not. This way you factor in both World PvP and Warfront PvP since you have to be flagged for PvP to hit a Guardian if you yourself are Defiant.
    In duels of course the skills would work as they do if you are flagged for PvP and you wouldn't be able to duel in instances to counter exploits.

ArenaNet implemented a similar system in Guild Wars and it fixed just about everything. They never had to screw over PvE just because a skill was overpowered in PvP.

//Evixy of Sparkwing-EU
    Good suggestion but I think PVP shards would be affected unfairly since they are flagged for pvp in most zones. The game is already turning into a lobby based game and I feel that it would keep even more people in Sanctum/Meridian instead of out in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    Good suggestion but I think PVP shards would be affected unfairly since they are flagged for pvp in most zones. The game is already turning into a lobby based game and I feel that it would keep even more people in Sanctum/Meridian instead of out in the world.
    There can be code implaced to check if the enemy is a player or mob, would be very easy to implent.

Shadowlander

I agree with this very much. I notice that there are certain things mobs do that are very annoying to me as a tank, that are skills traditionally used to balance pvp (where the role of the tank is non-applicable). Enough with the saps, stuns, knockbacks, and slows from mobs. Reserve them for pvp, and since I do not like the annoyance of pvp I will simply not flag.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Evixy of SWE View Post
    ArenaNet implemented a similar system in Guild Wars and it fixed just about everything.
    Except their population.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread