+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dev's don't take people with vision problems into consideration

Angry Dev's don't take people with vision problems into consideration

This is not just a Rift problem as I see it in every MMO there is (WoW is a little better but still has a long way if the devs quit ignoring me).

I really noticed the lack of thought going to quests that require you to find and objects and collect them - mainly the ones that give me the most trouble are in Iron Peak. The one really ticking me off is Salvaging Sourcestones.

To first explain, I am legally blind with low vision issues and scar tissue on both my corneas. I have my vid card set at 800x600 resolution with my game at the lowest acceptable setting (think it's the 1084 x 728 or something). I still have to sit mere inches from the monitor to play.

With that said, trying to do the above quest and ones similar are very frustrating and get me sort of upset is when I'm trying to find a tiny object against a white ground that is barely sparkly - and sometimes the quest object is inside something that I only notice when I stumble across while trying to figure out where the hell the object is. Not to mention the "stupid" aggro range of some mobs and the chain agrro that comes with it -and the insane short respawn times. I've died 3 times already trying to complete this quest and only finding 2 stones - and that was sheer dumb luck as I happened to just walk right in front of a box while getting attacked by 2 mobs and saw it just barely sparkle. I got teh other one while standing there waiting for it to respawn. After it did so, I got hit with a 3 chain aggro (from behind) and wiped.

Now I don't mind drying...but dying while trying to find something that dev thought was a "great idea" to make teeny tiny so only those with perfect vision can find....I just call that stupid deaths...and not stupid on my part.

Mostly what I'm trying to say is dev really needs to take into account people who don't have perfect or near perfect vision and fix these kind of quests or retool so everything you have to collect drops from a mob.

So please dev....what do ya say? Want to hire me as a consultant for the vision impaired players out there so we can have a level playing experience?

I don't know what to tell you (assuming you can read this). Video games were designed with sighted people in mind. I don't know why you would choose a hobby that you can't participate in without the inventors going out of their way to accomodate you. You're visually impaired, MMORPG's (and all computer games) are visual experiences. Just like paraplegics avoid stairs, you should probably recconsider your hobby... I dunno. Not to be insensitive, but it's kind of odd reading something like this.

You have my sympathy but I have to agree with the previous poster. You may want to find a hobby that is more suited to your particular strengths and weaknesses. Either that, or just skip quests that cause you this sort of problem. The devs have to assume that the people that are playing this game can see the screen, have two hands, etc. Games based on vision weren't intended for the blind.
    Best of luck to you.

I feel horrible for saying i have to agree. however you have to look at it from a business point these people need to make money. to make money there product has to be good at what its intended for. games are intended to be fun so they need to make the funnest game for the biggest population to make the money. gamers these days(in the biggest population) enjoy games and find them fun when they are a challenge that is why there are expert dungeons elite mobs so on so forth. so making an object hard to find is a challenge the the mass of gamers get a sick pleasure from finding it sending fun signals to there head. this is the mmo idea.

best advise i can offer is this. find a good friend with vent and quest with him talk over vent and he can also point you in the right direction. best of luck to you
    And the little Warrior said to the little Mage "One day I'm going to grow up to be a fierce dual wielding Paragon and people will run in fear because I'll be so Intimidating in Battle" The Mage looked at the little Warrior and said "Ya well, I'm going to be a Pyromancer" and that was that.
    \(Q_Q)/ <---sad paragon

nvm - deleted
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-14-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisona View Post
    This is not just a Rift problem as I see it in every MMO there is (WoW is a little better but still has a long way if the devs quit ignoring me).

I really noticed the lack of thought going to quests that require you to find and objects and collect them - mainly the ones that give me the most trouble are in Iron Peak. The one really ticking me off is Salvaging Sourcestones.

To first explain, I am legally blind with low vision issues and scar tissue on both my corneas. I have my vid card set at 800x600 resolution with my game at the lowest acceptable setting (think it's the 1084 x 728 or something). I still have to sit mere inches from the monitor to play.

With that said, trying to do the above quest and ones similar are very frustrating and get me sort of upset is when I'm trying to find a tiny object against a white ground that is barely sparkly - and sometimes the quest object is inside something that I only notice when I stumble across while trying to figure out where the hell the object is. Not to mention the "stupid" aggro range of some mobs and the chain agrro that comes with it -and the insane short respawn times. I've died 3 times already trying to complete this quest and only finding 2 stones - and that was sheer dumb luck as I happened to just walk right in front of a box while getting attacked by 2 mobs and saw it just barely sparkle. I got teh other one while standing there waiting for it to respawn. After it did so, I got hit with a 3 chain aggro (from behind) and wiped.

Now I don't mind drying...but dying while trying to find something that dev thought was a "great idea" to make teeny tiny so only those with perfect vision can find....I just call that stupid deaths...and not stupid on my part.

Mostly what I'm trying to say is dev really needs to take into account people who don't have perfect or near perfect vision and fix these kind of quests or retool so everything you have to collect drops from a mob.

So please dev....what do ya say? Want to hire me as a consultant for the vision impaired players out there so we can have a level playing experience?
    Lisona, you have all my solidarity (for what it's worth).

Regarding your specific problem with that quest, can you get anybody to help you in such cases? If you can't, you could try to contact a GM and get help from her/him.

Hugs,

'berry
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.

You have my sympathies for your vision problem, but I need to repeat the sentiments of the other posters. It would be best for you, I think, to work and find a hobby that you can enjoy fully. Your medical condition will prevent you from fully enjoying nearly all Video Games for as long as it hampers your vision, and there are very few ways to circumvent that.

Video games are a visual experience. I'd suggest something auditory, but without knowing you, it's hard to give any real advice beyond "stop kicking yourself by playing Video Games".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

I apologise on behalf of the RIFT forums for these answers.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-14-2011 at 04:51 PM.

These forums are just too much, it's unbelievable really.

Rift Disciple

Default visual effects hard on eyes

Just generally - I think the game can be quite hard on the eyes - I know some dungeons are supposed to be dark - but that dark?

When someone else comments - just turn the gamma up for that instance?

There are a lot of situations in rift where the visibility could be a lot better - I don't really think I should have to adjust my gamma for every zones/instance I go into.

Soulwalker

They COULD make like a beam of light or something from the quest object visible to the people who have said quest enabled. Or some kind of indicator. Ever played Bloodlines: The Masquerade? Single player i know but... in that game, if you had any points into the investigate skill... important objects would give off bright blue light particles. In a dark area... somethings on a table thats in the corner... hard as hell to see. oh look, theres the light, cool. im not pissed off at gamma, vision impairment, or other technical issues that may happen due to things the devs didn't plan for and overlooked.

No dev team is perfect and not every issue could be addressed individually. But a bunch of things like visual issues could be adressed. Lets say you dont like the idea... have an option to disable it. Let the player chose if they want it or not. Ta da. I can see fine, i have glasses but im not legally blind. My moniter has a gamma issue, i need a new one. Im not that rich, i cant afford it. Things like this that i find in games make me really happy. Im sure a blanket solution such as this could help our legally blind comrades as well. Its just questing... its not like this could in any way unbalance end game competition lol

Rift Disciple

I could understand how frustrating this could be. There are a couple solutions you could try. If you have some additional funds you could buy a bigger monitor or even a small TV(given how huge TVs are today) to play on.

Additionally I have verified that the Windows Magnifier tool does work with Rift if you have the game in Windowed Full Screen mode.

I really do hope you find a solution that is workable for you.

Good luck!

Don't listen to the people who keep telling you to give up on this hobby. Just keep playing, but realize that you will always have some hardships compared to others.

The options do allow you to increase the text size and stuff like that, but the devs can't really do much else. You can also try modifying the UI to see if you can make it better in 800x600 resolution.
    Last edited by Bufkus; 06-15-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Wow, my thoughts go out to you buddy good on you for not giving up on something you like to do, people need to remeber how lucky they are , keep questing !

+ Reply to Thread