+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Add LFG Cross Shard

Default Please Add LFG Cross Shard

(I've searched for a thread on this topic and couldn't locate one. So if this topic has already been started elsewhere, please post a reply with the link.)

Hello everyone,

I've recently started to play Rift, and I instantly noticed how the LFG feature doesn't search cross shard for players. This is a very large problem. I play on a highly populated server, but sadly there just aren't enough players throughout the level ranges to support the LFG properly. The wait time is terrible.

Allowing players from other shards to group together would dramatically help with the wait times, as well as support players going to low populated shards without the fear of losing perks from highly populated shards for grouping.

It's been tested with World of Warcraft already. There were no significant discrepancies in gameplay other than extremely convenient partying. Also, there would still be an active shard community since many players would still need to find a guild for endgame raiding.

Please -please- add the cross shard que/grouping for LFG

Thank you for reading.

Well ....

There are a LOT of threads about this already, however to answer your proposal:

Personally I think they could add a cross-server LFD option BUT only whilst levelling so the levels 1-49 (normal dungeons). I personally do not think cross-server at level 50 would necessarily be a good thing.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Plane Touched

The only shards that will benefit from cross shard LFG are those who are below the average population right now. Those above the average will, if anything, see an increase in queue times. Why? Because the larger shards will be contributing a disproportionately higher amount of players to the queue pool, which will help those on the lower end, but do little for those on the high end. If you want to visualize it, imagine a large container divided into several cells (like ballast tanks on a ship). Individually the water levels in these cells vary greatly right now. Some are almost full, some are barely filled at all. Now open a valve between each cell, so the water flows freely between them. The water level evens out, but whilst the level rises on the ones that started out low, the ones that were higher now have lowered. Assuming that a cross shard system gives all shards equal priority, this is essentially how it will work itself out. No matter how you pool servers together there will still be a process of osmosis which will inevitably come at a higher cost to higher population shards. Not to mention, as some have already pointed out, it will do nothing to affect the ratio of certain roles which honestly I see as the larger problem here. I will say one thing though, cross shard would make for more consistent queue times across the board. It's just that for some, this will mean consistently longer.

There are implementations that can get around some of these problems, but invariably they too come at a trade-off. Even if you make it so it prioritizes groups from your shard first, smaller shards still get shafted. In that case, unless these large shards are so populated that people are queuing faster than groups can be formed, smaller shards are rarely going to see anyone from the big ones because they will never spill over. You could have a priority system that bumps you up the queue after a certain period of time. Ultimately they all involve more development, and thus will introduce more functionality, more points of failure, more vectors for exploits, and more hassle. But that might work - the longer you are in the queue, the higher priority you are assigned. Of course this is just a more convoluted first-in, first-out queue system which is what you get by default anyway.

Those are just the technical issues that need to be overcome. There are the social issues as well. Yeah, you can dismiss them all you want, but do so at your own peril. Do bad things things never happen in shard-only groups? No, they do happen, just not often, because the repercussions of bad behavior on your local shard are greater. Let's talk accountability - does it really matter if I know your real name or not? If you do something bad, I can see your guild tag. I can go have a word with your guild leader once we're done. I can put you on my guild's do-not-group list. It's the difference between robbing a store in your neighborhood, and robbing one in the next town over - the likelihood of being recognized in the latter case is significantly less. Piss enough people off and before long you'll find it impossible to get guilded, let alone groups. Doesn't mean people aren't going to be stupid enough to do it, but the risk is far greater vs. the reward. There is a colloquialism that is pertinent to this: "don't **** where you eat", or more politely "it's an ill bird that fouls its own nest." You don't need a PhD in Sociology to understand this relatively simple social concept.

However, I get the feeling that cross-shard is a foregone conclusion and just a matter of time. I honestly feel it's like trying to push the tide back with leaf blower.

not to mention the sheer number of dbags, who WILL be dbags, just because they will face no repercussions on their home shard. i know on molinar guardian we have pretty much an entire guild of them thats been blacklisted by all of the decent guilds.
    Last edited by livnthedream; 06-13-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Please don't. Please merge underpopulated servers and allow guardian/defiant to group together.

Telaran

LFG is worst tool ever created for an mmo game.
    If you want to run dungeon ask guildies or friends from the friend list and you have party in no time.
    LFG make an mmo single player game here you clikc LFG and join with some others for 20 minutes and you dont even need to speak to them.
    MMO is about having interactions with other people talking and socializing besides killing endless enemies together.

Quote Originally Posted by NotUsedBrain View Post
    LFG is worst tool ever created for an mmo game.
    If you want to run dungeon ask guildies or friends from the friend list and you have party in no time.
    LFG make an mmo single player game here you clikc LFG and join with some others for 20 minutes and you dont even need to speak to them.
    MMO is about having interactions with other people talking and socializing besides killing endless enemies together.
    Not to be combative, but I disagree with this idea. The problem with this is; I already have groups as it is now that never speak or share any personable conversations, and most of the parties I'm in are very inexperienced and suffer no repercussion nor does anyone care to take any time to properly instruct them (other than myself).

No one is taking away the ability to create your own parties; by adding cross shard LFG's it just offers for people that may not have a ton of people on their FL or have enough time to devote for a large Guild an easier time with quick parties.

I also apologize for not finding the cross-shard threads and simply adding an extra one atop of it. I've only been able to find threads asking if LFG is cross shard, but none suggesting the change.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleIre View Post
    (I've searched for a thread on this topic and couldn't locate one. So if this topic has already been started elsewhere, please post a reply with the link.)

Hello everyone,

I've recently started to play Rift, and I instantly noticed how the LFG feature doesn't search cross shard for players. This is a very large problem. I play on a highly populated server, but sadly there just aren't enough players throughout the level ranges to support the LFG properly. The wait time is terrible.

Allowing players from other shards to group together would dramatically help with the wait times, as well as support players going to low populated shards without the fear of losing perks from highly populated shards for grouping.

It's been tested with World of Warcraft already. There were no significant discrepancies in gameplay other than extremely convenient partying. Also, there would still be an active shard community since many players would still need to find a guild for endgame raiding.

Please -please- add the cross shard que/grouping for LFG

Thank you for reading.
    +1. Already cancelled my sub for this reason (which I made sure to specify in my exit survey). The day they make it cross-shard, I'll be back in a heartbeat. I do love the game... but I also enjoy instancing, and unfortunately running instances just has not been an option for me in Rift, even as a healer. With only 3 hours a night to play, and having to spend 2 of those hours in queue EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, it really limits my ability to complete even 1 run a night.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmos View Post
    +1. Already cancelled my sub for this reason (which I made sure to specify in my exit survey). The day they make it cross-shard, I'll be back in a heartbeat. I do love the game... but I also enjoy instancing, and unfortunately running instances just has not been an option for me in Rift, even as a healer. With only 3 hours a night to play, and having to spend 2 of those hours in queue EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, it really limits my ability to complete even 1 run a night.
    I'm sorry to hear you cancelled your sub, but I can understand why. I also understand arguments against the idea of cross shard lfg, but it really is a must have with how this game is set up.

I truly hope to see them adjust this feature soon. There's too much competition coming for there to be minor discrepancies like this within this game. If Trion hopes to see their members stay after Star Wars Online, Skyrim (not an MMO but a serious contender for time), FFXIV's re-release, Guild Wars 2 (especially this one), Terra, and Blade and Soul release... they need to strengthen this game in any way they possibly can.

I firmly believe cross shard LFG will give them a nice boost against the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Numtini View Post
    allow guardian/defiant to group together.
    I understand the frustration of not having a large pool of candidates for dungeons but I would prefer that instances are never cross faction.

Ok, this is a huge problem for PvP server so do not add this lol. What needs to be done?

Create two to three servers for "core pvp" made for players who actually enjoy open world pvp and are interested in doing it. Separate the warfronts so that PvE and PvP players are in different battlegroups all together. Do not allow cross server LFG on said "core" pvp servers. Allow "core" pvp servers however to q up for warfronts with the rest of the regular pvp servers. Cross server LFG will kill real PvP all together and noone will ever leave sanctum/meridian.

+ Reply to Thread