+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see in Rift?

Telaran

Default What do you want to see in Rift?

Personally, I would like to see:

1. An RvR zone with capturable objectives like Warhammer.
    2. Siege Weapons that you can control like in Warhammer.
    3. A Group Combo system like in LotRO.
    4. Musical instruments you can play like in LotRO.
    5. Super epic quests(that take a long time to complete) that reward special class specific items like in Everquest.
    6. Open world dungeons like in Everquest, or even a contested dungeon like Darkness Falls from DAoC.

That's all I can think of right now.

Signature by Vallien

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by pasiv View Post

5. Super epic quests(that take a long time to complete) that reward special class specific items like in Everquest.
    6. Open world dungeons like in Everquest, or even a contested dungeon like Darkness Falls from DAoC.

That's a pretty good list. I'd second it.

I forgot how fun those group maneuvers in LOTRO were...that's a nice gaming mechanism.

Prophet of Telara

variation in T2 instances. GP is closer to T3 than T2 (enrage timers) and 5 man content for T2 is lacking, this didn't matter so much back when gear wasn't so hard to get pre LFD tool.
    Right now the game is falling behind in my desired amount of 5 man content, I'm only starting some raids and feel a little bewildered by GP requirements and GSB/RoS 20 mans aren't really covering it.

RvR would be nice but in all honesty I don;t think that could draw me back to pvp in Rift. Musical instruments maybe but if it follows the style of Rift's wardrobe I expect it to be half arsed and would rather just remember this feature from the other game.

They already have a epic saga quests and after the sloppy implementation of them they're proving to be a pita to complete.

6 is pretty much the concept of Rifts. Something which I think is fun and worthwhile in all respects.

Soulwalker

Player Housing - Not Instanced - Fully Customizeable and Visitable by other players.

On PvP servers, you should be able to fight in your houses, but lock the doors

1. Poor investment. Unless Rift goes whole-hog to PvP, heavy PvP investments in an MMO are money thrown away. The vast majority of PvP players are highly transient and will leave the game regards of what's implemented.

2. Would be cool but runs into the dreaded "balance" mantra for PvPers. How siege weapons could be implemented with creating a fire storm of "OP" is unimaginable.

3. Probably impossible. That sort of game mechanic needs to be designed in from the ground up. trying to implement something like that now would probably break 10,000 other things in the game. Rift's game mechanics are extremely simplistic for a reason: maximum appeal to casual players.

4. Would be fun but like housing it's a very minor draw to most players and definitely wouldn't bring in enough new players or retain existing ones to justify the cost.

5. I would love to see a return to this (and other "old school" concepts) but it will never happen in a game like Rift. Rift caters to the very casual player, who would resent seeing someone running around wit h"epic" gear they couldn't easily obtain now or in a patch or two when today's "epics" are tomorrows greens.

6. Contested dungeons worked in DAoC because of the 3 side approach. In Rift, most servers would be dominated by 1 faction who would in turn monopolize all contested content. over time that would drive more players to the "winning" side, creating an even greater imbalance.

Bottom line is Trion rolled the dice on a strategy to woo over WoW players by providing the easiest leveling experience ever in an MMO and access to large numbers of "classes" very early on. This done, their problem is retaining players. The only way to do that is by using the same "gerbil wheel" content approach as WoW and hope enough people like Trion's gerbil wheel better than Blizzard's.

Player housing, but not like the other guy said, it needs to be instanced. However in order to have a sort of community, there should be about 20 people allowed per instance channel, plus a guest list of people who can visit but can't build there.

Guild halls. (with guild bank)

Crafting that matters. (lol why level up anything other than runesmith?)

Class balance.

A PvP offensive stat that counters valor.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-12-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Andronicus View Post
    Player Housing - Not Instanced - Fully Customizeable and Visitable by other players.

The world is way way way too small for real housing like SWG had, they would have to do housing zones like Vanguard did, and sadly it's far from the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Andronicus View Post

This made me laugh hysterically for some reason.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vexille View Post
    1. Poor investment. Unless Rift goes whole-hog to PvP, heavy PvP investments in an MMO are money thrown away. ...
    Don't have anything you would like to see in Rift?

Signature by Vallien

6) Please god no. As it is, Rift's get griefed constantly. I'd prefer not to have an instance that does the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Banned

Those two ^ for sure. More SOLO content post lvl 50 without having to raid or group that will yield some nice gear as well. Need carrots for the solo players also. If you want my $15 a month plus many others it would be wise to make a SOLO content only expansion real soon. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    If you want my $15 a month plus many others it would be wise to make a SOLO content only expansion real soon. ;)
    You are a minority in the MMO world. Why would they cater to someone who is better off playing a single player RPG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    If you want my $15 a month plus many others it would be wise to make a SOLO content only expansion real soon. ;)
    That content has to be easy enough so that any calling of any build can do it.

Which makes your post rather odd, since you've been one of the "omigod it's too easy" crowd from the first post of yours I've read.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Telaran

Just thought of some more.
    • Last Names like in Real Life.
    • Guild Cloaks with customizable appearance like in Warhammer.
    • Weapon slot for the Wardrobe tab.

Hope to get some more constructive posts instead of these pointless complaints. Add what you want to see in Rift.
    Last edited by pasiv; 06-12-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Signature by Vallien

Don't have anything you would like to see in Rift?
    Unfortunately it's become very apparent that Trion's strategy is to win over as many WoW players as they can (by offering extra-super easy mode play from 1-50) and then tr to keep them as paying subscribers via the same gerbil wheel approach "content" as Blizzard.

So unless they make a radical change of direction, then no, there's nothing I want to see in the game as it would only be "window dressing" on top of another WoW clone...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast