+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to make Rift better, A Suggestion (Or two)

Soulwalker

Lightbulb How to make Rift better, A Suggestion (Or two)

The game is great, the graphics, the story, the soul system, everything. There are just some minor details and things I hope are added that would make me love it even more.

1. Guild Banks= Trion has already said they are working on it and it is under progress but this is necessary for all social games and would help a ton.

2. Arena= At the moment, pvp in this game is not too spectacular. Some classes are still unbalanced, and some abilities are still a little iffy (Eradicate), I recognize that it is still a new game, but I can promise you when I say THOUSANDS of people including myself would go crazy if you introduced arena. Some sort of ranked system with rewards, different sized brackets, etc.

3. Races= The 6 races in this game are great, but everyone looks the SAME! Some people may like this, but I for one like to see a large multitude of differences in characters, and a variety of choices in which to choose. It would be cool to have races in the game that weren't so distinctly human.

4. Moar Gear Graphic Differences= I feel that the armor and weapons in this game all look very bland :/ . Sure there are some pieces from raids and higher level dungeons that look sweet, but you never wanna find gear from levels 7-50 with the same exact graphic. (Wardrobe weapon slots could potentially help this)

5. Better rolling= I suggest you make it so you can only NEED on gear for your class, i.e clerics needing on chain, and allowing you to GREED on these items. This would prevent mislooting and would be helpful.

6. Cross server queueing= I recognize that the game is still new, and more people will most likely join and play later. But, right now, some queues are rediculous. For dungeon finder as well as pvp. Pairing servers in larger groups then 3, lets say 6, would decrease queue times, increase pvp variety, and help with servers that have a more heavily populated side (Defiant/Guardian).

7. More pvp items= Offhands and shields definitley need to be released at one point, no real point in giving us an option to buy a 1h cleric wep without an offhand or shield -_-

8. Diverse pvp= Few more warfronts, with different playstyles. Like a zero objective, kill em all game. Or random 1v1 queueing. And raid queueing for warfronts, as well as special Guild battles. Where different specialty maps are used for play in guild v guild for guild xp or different rewards.

I realize that this is still a new game, and has a while to go, but those are the things I REALLY want to happen to this game, and I feel many people agree in some areas. Other great games are coming out soon that people might convert to unless Trion does something to really make them stay (SW:TOR, Skyrim, GW2, etc.)

And don't give me any crap about "Well why don't you go play wow" or whatever, I have and It was fun, but I see far more potential in this game. Even more if ^ changes are made.

Cheers!

Telaran

**** Rift, Play Guildwars.

Rift Disciple

Default Trades

I would add improve the trades and materials accessibility.

Many people in other games spend time collecting materials and crafting at large variety of items.

Currently it's very difficult to farm high level materials in the high zones as barely any high level nodes/herbs exist.

Heaps of craftable consumables would be good too - even going so far as essences for all levels, scrolls and potions.

Soulwalker

How is an arena somehow different from a Warfront in any meaningful way? Because it's 1v1? That all but guarantees that the Healer souls will be the top-tier winners in every instance.

3. Races= The 6 races in this game are great, but everyone looks the SAME! Some people may like this, but I for one like to see a large multitude of differences in characters, and a variety of choices in which to choose. It would be cool to have races in the game that weren't so distinctly human.
    Like... dog-people? They call them kobolds. They don't like us. Lizard-people? They call them dragonians. They don't like us, either. Goblins? Hate us, and serve Maelforge.

Common trait amongst all of these races and the 6 player races? They're all humanoid. How one thinks a Bahmi and a Dwarf, or a Bahmi and any variety of Elf (High or Kelari) or a Mathosian, or a Mathosian and a Dwarf, or an Elf and a Dwarf, look at all similar other than basic build (2 arms, 2 legs, a head) is beyond me.

6. Cross server queueing= I recognize that the game is still new, and more people will most likely join and play later. But, right now, some queues are rediculous. For dungeon finder as well as pvp. Pairing servers in larger groups then 3, lets say 6, would decrease queue times, increase pvp variety, and help with servers that have a more heavily populated side (Defiant/Guardian).
    Cross-server PVE queuing kills server communities. Why? Because you become your character no longer, no matter how good you are at it, you're just Calling_Build#55237 in the queue. One amongst untold thousands, and no longer at all special, and absolutely of no value in remembering who you were, because you can always be replaced with another, identical build from another server in the queue. In fact, given that it's likely in such scenarios that a group of characters would all be from different servers, there's absolutely no value in trying to remember each others' names or builds, because you're unlikely to ever be in a party together again.

10man Raid content: Add 10man Raids to both GSB & RoS & when ever you add new Raids make sure they are for both 10 & 20man Raid groups, not everyone wants to be in a semi-large guild & would more like to just Raid with close Real life friends in-game where they know there will be no drama & everything is fair.
    Last edited by Mu5hy69; 06-10-2011 at 05:17 PM.

CPU: AMD PhenomX4 B45 GPU: GTX260 HDD: ATA 640GB RAM: DDR3 4GB Os: Win7 64bit Display: 1920x1080

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Psienesis View Post
    How is an arena somehow different from a Warfront in any meaningful way? Because it's 1v1? That all but guarantees that the Healer souls will be the top-tier winners in every instance.
    No, it's not more meaningful because it's 1v1, 1v1 arena would be dumb and can never be balanced. It's more meaningful because it's smaller group vs smaller group compared to Warfront. There should be a balance between the contribution from teamwork and the contribution from individuals. Warfonts focus too much on the teamwork, it is very hard for an individual to make a big difference in a warfront, it is up to the entire team most of the time, whether they know wtf they are doing, whether they are well geared etc; because of this, Warfront PvP is less meaningful, what you do as an individual simply doesn't have enough of an impact for you to feel any sense of achievement. Can you really feel very proud of yourself when you spam your aoe and top the damage done meter in a Warfront? I know I won't.

In a 2v2 or 3v3 scenario it becomes very different. Everything that everyone does will count, if you waste a CC on a target that's on full DR or if you break someone's CC in a Warfront, that's fine, so what? Worst case scenario, you might get *****ed at but ultimately that's probably not going to change the outcome of the battle in most situations. In an arena fight mistakes like that will be game changing. OP also suggested that arena would come with a ranking system, so all in all, arena would encourage people to play better. When people try to play better the game gets more competitive, when it's competitive it's fun and meaningful. You can screw around all you want and leech favor all day and you'll eventually get your r6, probably no slower than if you actually tried your best every game, can't do that with an arena system.

Are healing souls going to dominate in an arena system in every instance? That's going to be up to Trion's balance team.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthondis View Post
    No, it's not more meaningful because it's 1v1, 1v1 arena would be dumb and can never be balanced. It's more meaningful because it's smaller group vs smaller group compared to Warfront. There should be a balance between the contribution from teamwork and the contribution from individuals. Warfonts focus too much on the teamwork, it is very hard for an individual to make a big difference in a warfront, it is up to the entire team most of the time, whether they know wtf they are doing, whether they are well geared etc; because of this, Warfront PvP is less meaningful, what you do as an individual simply doesn't have enough of an impact for you to feel any sense of achievement. Can you really feel very proud of yourself when you spam your aoe and top the damage done meter in a Warfront? I know I won't.

In a 2v2 or 3v3 scenario it becomes very different. Everything that everyone does will count, if you waste a CC on a target that's on full DR or if you break someone's CC in a Warfront, that's fine, so what? Worst case scenario, you might get *****ed at but ultimately that's probably not going to change the outcome of the battle in most situations. In an arena fight mistakes like that will be game changing. OP also suggested that arena would come with a ranking system, so all in all, arena would encourage people to play better. When people try to play better the game gets more competitive, when it's competitive it's fun and meaningful. You can screw around all you want and leech favor all day and you'll eventually get your r6, probably no slower than if you actually tried your best every game, can't do that with an arena system.

Are healing souls going to dominate in an arena system in every instance? That's going to be up to Trion's balance team.

State of the PvP balance atm i.e Roles people will play in Arenas you will only come across Cleric Healers & Pyro Mages & thats it any other combo & you may aswell not bother, as you will never win. Untill they sort Role Balance out (Which I can't see them ever been able to do with the amount of combo Roles you can make) a Arena will never work in Rift & with that Trion will never add it as it will do more harm than good which is a shame.

CPU: AMD PhenomX4 B45 GPU: GTX260 HDD: ATA 640GB RAM: DDR3 4GB Os: Win7 64bit Display: 1920x1080

Soulwalker

Default Ok...

I didn't so much mean 1v1 arena as I did teams. If anything they could incorperate 1v1 as a quicker, randomized dueling used to test out specs or pvp skills, without fear of losing points or w/e.

As for races, I realize that they LOOK different, but in small details. Color, size, girth, etc. They don't have to be any type of creature introduced thus far, I'm just stating its my opinion to incorperate some sort of differences. Surely if there are talking lizards and dragons on the opposing side in PvE, why can't there be other talking mythological creatures on our side(s)?
    Last edited by Zaelnir; 06-10-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelnir View Post
    I didn't so much mean 1v1 arena as I did teams. If anything they could incorperate 1v1 as a quicker, randomized dueling used to test out specs or pvp skills, without fear of losing points or w/e.

As for races, I realize that they LOOK different, but in small details. Color, size, girth, etc. They don't have to be any type of creature introduced thus far, I'm just stating its my opinion to incorperate some sort of differences. Surely if there are talking lizards and dragons on the opposing side in PvE, why can't there be other talking mythological creatures on our side(s)?
    I think that lore-wise it would be very difficult to add new races. The vigil are pretty selective in who they ascend, dismissing anyone with anything to do with the planes and those who dismiss them, either for other spirits or technology.
    The defiants probably have quite a limited pool of possible ascendants sitting at the end of the world although are probably more open to the idea of ascending other races.
    There'd probably have to be new starting areas as well, thinking about it.

+ Reply to Thread