+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How I'd like to see housing added...

Default How I'd like to see housing added...

Ten thousand houses spread across the world, to me at least, isn't a good idea. There's not enough areas, and it would clutter up the ones we have. Some games add areas where the houses all can go, like little sub-divisions, but they aren't natural. Others instance them... that's not fun.

However, I LIKE the overall idea... crafters can make the houses and items to go inside, it's a gold sink, a place to hang out, etc.. So here's an idea...

What if we could have actual "guildhalls" in the world? A guild would have to have at least 12 (or whatever) members, so people don't create a guild with 3 alts to get a building. It doesn't make sense to have a house in the middle of nowhere, but a guild hall, sure. Also, some could be in cities, near outposts etc.. They'd be expensive, take time to build.

THEN... let each member have their own room "in" the hall. However, these "rooms" ARE instanced. So the hall is visual, the rooms aren't. People could decorate their rooms however they like, bring others into their rooms, etc..

In-world guild halls, instanced rooms for individuals. No clutter, still have houses, more crafts, more "to do", a place to hang out, etc.. (maybe on PvP servers they can be pirated and taken too?)

Any thoughts?

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

No space for any of this.

If they do it, ti'll be instanced all the way or won't be added until new overland zones are designed and built with this in mind.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Non instanced housing would clearly require more land to be opened.
    I like how Vanguard did it, there were set areas and you had to build.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Non instanced housing would clearly require more land to be opened.
    I like how Vanguard did it, there were set areas and you had to build.
    I liked how Vanguard did it too. As I recall, the place where you could buy/build your house was absolutely huge. It was like a small city.

Throw a bone to the crafters too---I would love to build my house or have an ability to hire other people to help out.

Yeah Vanguard had it done properly as far as housing goes. You lived in villages that were quite some distance from the main towns and so you actually rode your mounts through areas/zones. Made it more of an adventure and a lot of immersion.

But this has been discussed quite a bit. RIFT is simply too small for real housing of this sort. It would have to be an instanced type setup where housing could either be everyone has the same 'basic' housing upon entry or a LOTRO style 'community' instance where guild halls/individual houses are located but no mobs.

I don't think Trion would dedicate a whole instance to that so if housing ever came into this game, it would be a 'one size, fits all' type of generic 'house' you enter by a common door or portal.

They could revamp the 2 main cities and include "townhouses", similar to what EQ2 has. The housing is instanced..it wasn't a big deal.

There were some guild halls in the city and larger (more exclusive..had to have a high level guild to get one) guild halls out in set areas of the world.

I like your idea about each guild member having their own room.

I hated instanced housing, it was as if it wasn't there. I also hated the little villages.

That's why I say "NO" to housing, but "yes" to guild halls. There's absolutely room now to add 100 guild halls in various places.

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

Barbie online? You want the dollhouse, you already have the horse and your vanity pets can be skipper. Maybe you can play with my daughters. Oh wait, aren't there some 20+ threads about this?

SWG had it right.. and very wrong. Building our city up from nothing to a booming metropolis filled with vendors, museums, Bases for defending eventually turned into and cluster**** of abandoned buildings that had 4 years of maintenance paid on them and needed GM intervention to remove to the eventual graveyard and sad reminder of what fun the game used to be

Soulwalker

If they implement guild halls, the cities will be empty except for new players who will feel very alone. You would never go to a city if you had all the access to crafting/banking/housing in a guild hall. And if you didn't have crafting/banking/housing in guild halls, why else would you have them? Look at EQ2 for example. It killed the starting cities completely.

I don't want my housing to be guild hall dependant, thanks. Though I love my guild My chracter identities are seperate from my guild. Also, I don't want premissions to get to my house to be controled by the guild leader, especially if I will be able to sell stuff from my house via auction and people coming in to visit it.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    I don't want my housing to be guild hall dependant, thanks. Though I love my guild My chracter identities are seperate from my guild.
    I like the idea in concept, but would want there to be an option somewhere else. Not everyone is in a guild and would still like to have housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Tidings View Post
    OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!! I DIDN'T GET RAPTURED!!

+ Reply to Thread