+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two really irritating irritations.

Shadowlander

Default Two really irritating irritations.

First, let me start by stating that I think Rift is a pretty good game, with clearly a lot of hard work put into it. I chose to play it. This is constructive criticism coming.

Second, I think I get what Trion is trying to do, which is to not let the game be so dumb/simple/easy that players rapidly get bored. I applaud that, but I think that desire is actually what is getting in trouble with the complaints I have.

I think sometimes game designers lose sight of the fact that the entire reason we want a game to stay challenging is because we want it to stay fun. Simply ratcheting up the difficulty does not make it challenging/fun, it makes it hard/annoying. Sometimes tweaks are required to shift from the second category back to the first.

Also, Trion needs to apply a little logic here. There are certain ways this game is designed--ie the rifts suddenly popping out of nowhere, and the mechanics need to fit with that. Ok, on with my complaints.

1) Too hard to travel. I am not talking about using the portuiculum thingies, I am talking about travelling within zones. Specifically I am talking about the extremely high chances of getting dishorsed, and/or slowed/snared, such that going almost anywhere is a slow flog. This gets pretty annoying--sometimes I just want to go from one place to another, and the umptheenth time I have to kill my way through crowds of mobs just to do that the game is not being fun, it is being irritating.

But more than that, this is Rift, where a pretty standard event--several times each playing evening, is for a massive planar invasion, in which everyone pretty much needs to put down what they were doing, ride to whereever the raid is forming, and then ride around closing rifts, etc. Hey, if that is what you want us to do in this game--and it is your call to design the game that way--then make it easier to get around.

Thing is, you do not have to change much to make this better. Just drastically reduce the odds of being dishorsed, snared, or slowed. This game is dramatically worse at that than any other MMO I have ever played; just cut those odss (to zero for greys, btw) and the problem is tolerable. I can tell you from past MMO experience that it is still possible to get overwhelmed, so having less dishorsing doesn't give us carte blanch to ride all over the zone. Just makes it a bit easier.

2) Knockbacks. I play a melee--tank mostly--and some bosses are like, "Holy Knockback!" I fought a life invasion boss in Stillmoor last night, and literally spent about half my time running back to her from being sent flying. Is that supposed to be fun for me? Do the devs play melee? I was then in a earth event in shimmersand, and the shamans in the invasion groups were sending me flying a lot. How am I supposed to tank groups, with my AOE's all needing to have a target mob in melee range, and I am flying away all the time?

I get the occasional knockback, just don't fall in love with it and over-use it. The same is true for stuns--rogue mobs always stun me on pulls--when I am pulling steadily, much more often than my cooldown for breaking control effects. Who on the game designer team decided to take the lazy way out and balance combat by simply taking me out of the equation for periods of time? I don't like it, not fun to have to just sit and wait to regain control of my character--find a less lazy way to balance combat.

1) Too hard to travel: Yes, I totally agree. The amount of dismount/aggro chaining/mob density is pretty ridiculous sometimes. Either decreasing aggro radii when mounted or making dismounting much harder would fix this.

2) Knockbacks: Well, im 50-50 here. With most bosses, if you are getting knocked back a ton, find something to stand against. That way, when they knock you back, you just bump against whatever you already have your back to and you dont even move. But there is a disproportionally high number of knockback attacks, I'll give you that
    Sanarra - Mage - Amardis
    Support Better World PvP

Shadowlander

Nothing to put your back against in an open zone with a rift event boss.

cant find a hill or a tree or rock or anything? Dang, that sucks. Well then yes, fewer knockbacks would be nice
    Sanarra - Mage - Amardis
    Support Better World PvP

Soulwalker

1: yes, hate the dismount. my lvl 50 can ride in freemarch and get dismounted by 1 hit, on top of that, stacking slows= you are forced to kill it, or in case you are a even level= fight or die, most cases you die, because you beeing attacked by 5 (high density of mops)

2: overall, 80% of all the bosses i enountered in rift, both invasion and dungeons are not melee friendly. can't remember their names, but the damn boss in expert iron tomb, the one with blood boil and steal bones= melee nightmare. same with last boss down in the cave. or last boss expert king breach.

to many bosses have some sort of killer melee dps-ability. its like they designed this game for ranged class dps only and only found out they had melee dps after.

1) Follow the paths and roads
    Bluntski - The Fallen Sons - Prestige 8 Mage

(2) When your tanking and your fighing a mob which knockbacks lot.
    - Switch to a build which is immune to knockback
    - Use a tree or rock to know get moved so much
    - Switch to range attacks

Personel, I just switch to a build which is immune to knockback. We have 5 'builds' for a reason. Just change your build.

As for getting around. Following the paths = no aggro. Taking a short cut = knocked off and takes longer.

1) learn to path better. I rarely get knocked off my steed.

AFK travel is a no no as well. A lot of people who complain about the getting knocked off their steed are highly guilty of doing that. I'm glad AFK travel gets you killed. It is happy making.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    Fine when you're just heading back to town to unpack your bags. If you're trying to get to rifts or invasions, you keep arriving at them in the last stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    If it were only that easy. The paths and roads in many areas are also littered with mobs (Droughtlands, for example).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Natjur View Post
    (2) When your tanking and your fighing a mob which knockbacks lot.
    - Switch to a build which is immune to knockback
    - Use a tree or rock to know get moved so much
    - Switch to range attacks

Personel, I just switch to a build which is immune to knockback. We have 5 'builds' for a reason. Just change your build.

As for getting around. Following the paths = no aggro. Taking a short cut = knocked off and takes longer.
    I play assaination rogue because i like to play assasination rogue. why the hell should i have to switch spec at every boss to a ranged spec???
    as for getting around: ever done a invasion in stillmoor? you have to weave in between 100's of npc's to get to the rifts/idols at Death's approach, some even elite with 10 adds. same in shimmersand, they place rifts in the backside of a camp with 50 npc's, 1 spell or hit and you can fight of 5-10 before you can mount up again, you can't out run it so it resets, because you just keep chainpulling as you run, or you get slowed to a stop because of the stacking slow.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Diddlemus View Post
    1: yes, hate the dismount. my lvl 50 can ride in freemarch and get dismounted by 1 hit, on top of that, stacking slows= you are forced to kill it, or in case you are a even level= fight or die, most cases you die, because you beeing attacked by 5 (high density of mops)

2: overall, 80% of all the bosses i enountered in rift, both invasion and dungeons are not melee friendly. can't remember their names, but the damn boss in expert iron tomb, the one with blood boil and steal bones= melee nightmare. same with last boss down in the cave. or last boss expert king breach.

to many bosses have some sort of killer melee dps-ability. its like they designed this game for ranged class dps only and only found out they had melee dps after.
    That boss is cake on melee DPS.. you just rotate around the pillar with the tank.

The one after that however is the one that is total hell on melee if I remember correctly.

Telaran

My list:

1) I agree with the travel problem. Roads are generally supposed to be safe but I have noticed often time they are covered with mobs, and they slow you down and dismount regularily.

2) Knockbacks are very annoying I think they should have diminishing returns. 1st full distance, 2nd half distance, 3rd a few meters, 4th immune for 20 seconds. Or give melee classes a pull spell. Instead of a taunt that forces monsters to attack you make it a leash spell that ties a mob to you, and even if the boss is immune to taunt, make the spell still work on him, so if he knocks you back, he gets pulled along for the ride as well. Another possible solution would be that a knockback instantly recharges your charge. That way everytime you get knocked back you can rush right back in.

3) I like the standard invasions, but I think that the elite invasions that happen need to be player triggered or something. I'd like to see an Invasion Que. Like Queing for warfronts or dungeons I'd like to see a Que where anytime an invasion event occurs in a zone I have been to (or at least have the porticulum) I get a prompt to teleport there and participate. Also the elite invasions could be tied to this to where if enough players join then the event would occur. Make something like a global channel for Invasions that will give minute warnings before an invasion is about to occur and in which zone. I noticed a while back when there was an invasion going in one zone, when you leave it, there is no indication on the map that one is happening there. You actually have to be there to notice it. That frustrates me.

Shadowlander

1) Roads are better, but not fully safe. And I never AFK travel.

The key is, though, this is a game designed for a lot of sudden, rapid travel--ie a rift event occurs. Do the rifts open on or next to roads? I thought not.

2) Elaborating on the non-melee friendliness--it has been a little while since I fought the Avatar of Alsibeth--I would encounter her in Moonshade--but she had some sort of AOE blast, without warning, that would just wipe out the melee near her, especially those who were not taking and the focus of heals. What was the point of that? Hello, you are melee, die a few times?

+ Reply to Thread