+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faction changing, player housing, customizable pets and mounts, other things...

Soulwalker

Default Faction changing, player housing, customizable pets and mounts, other things...

I can't recall where I saw it originally posted, but I'm fairly certain it was here. but someone made a very good point about faction changing. Not the type that WoW has now where you pay money and you race/faction change. But something like where at a low level you start a quest chain that will eventually change your faction. With the ability to talk to the other faction, there really is nothing stopping an Ascended from having a change of view/faith. What's to say an Eth or a Kelari wouldn't become disillusioned with Magi-tech and find their faith? Or a Dwarf or High-Elf losing faith in the Vigil and wanting to work with Magi-tech to try and solve the worlds problems? Make it so that after level 20 you can start working on a quest chain to start the process of faction changing. But once you complete the chain, you can never again go back to your original faction.

I absolutely love the soul system in this game. Brings back fond memories of FFXI and the job system, but the soul system is just leagues above and and beyond what the job system was. One aspect of FFXI that was crazy cool were the Mog houses. Player housing that allowed for more storage, offered player perks *less exp lost when killed, more crystal drops, things like that*. This game could easily incorporate something similar, especially with how the portculims work. Plus, just adding another profession would allow players to make furniture and things like that for their homes. The whole thing could be expanded to Guild bases as well.

WoW and FFXI had quests that allowed for you to raise your own mount. In FFXI, you raised your own Chocobo hatchling and in WoW we had the Ravasaur quest chain for the Horde. In each case though, you grew more attached to your new mount. Especially in FFXI where you could have different colors and attributes associated with your own mount. Having a quest chain where Defiant built their own horse, Guardians raise their own... lion thingy... or both factions raising and caring for a specific mount just add more depth to the system. It probably wouldn't be that hard to make it so that you could customize your own mount, but having the attributes not work in Warfronts. Higher speeds *110% mounts with a 15% speed increase or something*, lower aggro ranges while mounted, less of a chance of being dismounted when attacked by PvE mobs. Things like that.

Speaking of customizable mounts, we have several souls that use pets in combat and everyone loves vanity pets. Quest chains or mobs with lootable pets would be interesting. Allowing the pet classes to customize/change their pets would also probably add a lot of customization. Hunters in WoW and Beastmasters in FFXI had the ability to charm/control their own pets, so why are the pet classes here restricted to certain pet families? You've given the wardrobe function and dyes, at least give us the option of changing around some of the pets used, especially for Warriors and Rogues.

Finally, regarding classes. I'm still looking forward to a Rogue or Warrior class that makes heavy use of Air rifts. We have fire, earth, dark, things like that, but nothing really that uses the plane of Air. With how devoted the Defiant are to Magi-tech, I'm surprised the only class that really uses technology is the Sabo class. What about Barbarians? Rune-priests? A healing Warrior soul? In future expansions, I can really see more branching of the classes and new souls added. Just some thoughts on a few classes that would be interesting to see.

In any case, those are a few ideas that I can see working out very well in the game. And since the game is so new, it wouldn't be overly taxing adding in a few things every major patch or so, along with more quests, dungeons and raids as time progresses. Trion has a great game going and it seems as if they listen to their players. Here's hoping someone out there agrees with a few of my suggestions.

Soulwalker

Awwww =(

No responses at all?

Rift Disciple

I can't imagine a healing warrior at all, it wouldn't make much sence rly, however a support warrior who roars to increase certain attributes and increases incoming damage on enemies could work. Far as the rest go, I think you ask a bit much. Why would you want a mount with attributes? I would absolutly hate that.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zeradin View Post
    I can't imagine a healing warrior at all, it wouldn't make much sence rly, however a support warrior who roars to increase certain attributes and increases incoming damage on enemies could work. Far as the rest go, I think you ask a bit much. Why would you want a mount with attributes? I would absolutly hate that.
    It's all about the customization. Sure, more dungeons and raids are always a good thing, but the more we can customize our characters, the more we can make them ours, it's all good. Trion has a lot of the gameplay mechanics down. Now is the time to work on offering other things other than grinds and to allow players to do more than just quest day in and day out and wait for raids.

I would just like to voice my opinion on your suggestion. I should point out I only read the title of the thread...

I absolutely love the idea of having some epic quest chain where you could change allegiances!

I love this female Kelari mage I made but I can't play her because I can't stand being a heretic in a universe where gods actually exist. :P

It would also kill any notion that a certain faction has better racials etc...

Opposing factions is great but I think if an ascendant worked hard enough to prove their loyalty to X faction, race shouldn't be too much of an issue.

TLDR: Please add challenging quest chain available to all levels that would allow you to change your characters faction at least once.

Thanks, hope it gets implemented! =)

Telaran

I suggested this once while playing WoW. Instead of race/faction change, have a race that isn't specific to either faction. Like the Eth or the Malosians. Have them both have the same heritage and those races can perform the betrayl quest and switch sides. The others however won't be. Some of the reasons are to keep certain Race specific abilities limited to only one side, but since the race specific abilities in this game atm aren't all that important, there shouldn't be a problem with a faction change, but I don't think you should be able to change what race you are because of it. That was just WoW's attempt to balance population but it probably worked more in the wrong direction then they hoped.
    Best moment in Rift: I "broke wind" in real life. Seconds later a message crossed my screen, "The smell of decay fills the air."

+ Reply to Thread