+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Rift Types

Telaran

Default New Rift Types

Light Rift
    Something akin to a minature sun breaks through a hole in the sky lighting up the ground around it for all to see. Elementals of pure light pour out and scour the ground seeking their hold in Telara. Creatures of the Light are notorious for healing themselves repeatedly, and within this rift places of intense light beam from the tear and light up the ground, blinding players and healing light elementals. Light Rifts have a tendency to spawn rich herbs within their glowing aura.

Shadow Rift
    The elemental opposite of the Light Rift the Shadow Rift not to be mistaken for it's close kin, the Death Rift. The creatures of the night are composed of mostly beasts, shadow elementals and all manner of nightly creatures looking to claim their place in Telara. Players are hampered with an encompassing shadow which limits their view range and the creatures of the rift can hide in these shadows sneaking up or around their prey.

Lightning Rift
    Unlike it's close kin the Water Rift, the Lightning Rift surges with electricity constantly and llghtning strikes repeatedly within it's area. Players can be struck by lightning if they do not stand within safe areas in the Rift. The Lightning elementals within this Rift will also recieve a stackable damage bonus that lasts for several seconds each and every time they are struck.

Gravity Rift
    Take heed within this rift. Looking similar in appearance to the Air Rift, the Gravity Rift destroys the laws of physics within it's borders. Players will find themselves with little control over their movements in this rift, often moving about like on ice and jumping without hitting the ground. The monsters in this Rift take advantage of the environment created around it to throw their prey about counting on them falling out somewhere dangerous. (This one might be a stretch for the games control system. Thought I'd throw it in thought just for some opinions.)

Proxomity Rifts:
    This type of rift, not actually called a proxomity rift, is actually an event that occurs when two rifts open next to each other. If two identical rifts open next to each other they begin to attrach each other and merge. When they merge if the two prior Rifts were minor, the new Rift will be a Major. If both are Majors then an elite Rift of that element forms.

A clashing event occurs when the two rifts are not of matching elements.
    Death opposes Life (Aging Rift?)
    Earth opposes Air (Dust Rift?)
    Fire opposes Water (Steam Rift?)
    If the two merging rifts clash as opposites an event occurs at that point where invasion forces will spawn and attack invasion forces from the other rift. The waves and attacks will increase in severity and number until both rifts collapse or at least one is sealed. (Perhaps here a new type of Rift could be created when two opposite rifts merge. A rare but difficult one)

The numbers of Rifts would increase significantly if we made merge events for all the types.
    Death/Death Death/Life Death/Earth Death/Air Death/Water Death/Fire
    Life/Life Life/Earth Life/Air Life/Water Life/Fire
    Earth/Earth Earth/Air Earth/Water Earth/Fire
    Air/Air Air/Water Air/Fire
    Water/Water Water/Fire
    Fire/Fire

The question here would be what to do with these rifts, because each one would have a mixed clash, not an opposing clash. It makes sense for opposite Rifts to try to destroy each other, and matching Rifts to grow in strength, but what about non opposite? I think for the sake of simplicity only matching or opposite rifts would cause a merge or clash event. The rest well would create too many combinations for Trion to work on and would get really confusing.

The probability of these merging rift events would increase signification during an invasion since it would be possible for those rifts, being so close to pair up. Perhaps make it so that they won't merge immediatly but instead gradually once both appear.

Telaran

Reserved fur future additions.
    Last edited by Reevin; 06-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Telaran

Suggestion from a friend:

Ice Rift
    Chilly concept right? Perhaps on land the Ice Rift will slightly reduce movement speed or the ground will be frozen and you will slide all over it. As a unique perk to this rift, it's possible for them to spawn on bodies of water, freezing the surface and opening there. Once the rift is closed the frozen bed created by the rift will disappear a minute or so later.
    Last edited by Reevin; 06-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.

The lore states that there are only 6 entities from 6 relms that are responsable for rifts. The lore is not going to be changed for something like this. You are more likely to see combo rifts than new rifts.
    Last edited by Ayenn; 06-07-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    The lore states that there are only 6 entities from 6 relms that are responsable for rifts. The lore is not going to be changed for something like this. You are more likely to see combo rifts than new rifts.
    Well, the lore keeps it open for other planes to exist. Quoted from the website history section:

By studying the rifts, Telaran scholars have so far identified six planes that interact with Telara through cracks in the Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Lande View Post
    Well, the lore keeps it open for other planes to exist. Quoted from the website history section:
    I dont think adding more varients of rifts would help anything.. before long you've done all the new rifts and you're back where you started. Making more variety of the current rifts however would be welcome, im constantly coming across the same mobs EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    This is a game: Lore will ALWAYS change.

Ask Blizzard and SOE and Bethesda about it too!

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Reevin View Post
    Reserved fur future additions.
    You can't edit posts after 5mins.

Edit: Oh, and Air = lightning, Water = Ice, Death = Shadow, Life = Light

They already exist, you just want different kinds of said rifts.
    Last edited by Sez; 06-07-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Actually Water is closer to lightning that air, since lightning strikes in a water rift. It just isn't a danger, just an effect.

Also that reserved post was an accidental double post. Thanks for letting me know about the limit. Sucks now cause I look dumb :P
    Best moment in Rift: I "broke wind" in real life. Seconds later a message crossed my screen, "The smell of decay fills the air."

Shadowlander

Actually Water is closer to lightning that air, since lightning strikes in a water rift. It just isn't a danger, just an effect.

Also that reserved post was an accidental double post. Thanks for letting me know about the limit. Sucks now cause I look dumb :P
    I think Sez might have been referring to the way the game mechanics utilize which elements already represent which magical effects in the game. For Elementalists and Stormcallers, the use of lightning magic already stems from Air. Water magic tends to cause Ice and Hail spells.

I admit though, Air Rifts are ambiguous. They tend to spawn avian creatures and I don't often see any lightning based spells emanating from them, but if Air elementals use lightning magic, then lightning is probably going to lean towards Air.

Telaran

Ah I see thanks for clearing that up for me.

Perhaps instead of new rifts they can implement one of my aforementioned suggestions to open a hole large enough for players to enter that dimension and raid the other direction. How epic would it be if we could force back an invasion attempt in Telara and then invade their dimension in return?
    Best moment in Rift: I "broke wind" in real life. Seconds later a message crossed my screen, "The smell of decay fills the air."

Shadowlander

Ah I see thanks for clearing that up for me.

Perhaps instead of new rifts they can implement one of my aforementioned suggestions to open a hole large enough for players to enter that dimension and raid the other direction. How epic would it be if we could force back an invasion attempt in Telara and then invade their dimension in return?
    I actually added that very idea as a suggestion on someone else's thread. There's been some discussion about a third faction, and I had suggested Planars as the third.

I figure there is something stirring them up, and also corrupting the Dragon Gods that tend to their realms, so we should be able to explore their planes, and find out where the corruption is stemming from.

There would be Guardian and Defiant strongholds in their lands as well, and there would be the usual mixture of "alliances" between beings from each faction for certain quest hubs that help propell the storyline and lore.

This would be a great way to implment your suggested new rifts. Chaos rifts with beings of pure chaotic energy that seek to destroy the balance of Life and Death, and every other element in the known universe, and their antithesis, the Beings of Pure Order, which look down upon all three factions as impure creatures that pollute their divine "order".

Telaran

Oh, I like that idea. Would be awesome if in the future content expansions weren't new continents but instead the factions figured out how to get into the dimension that invade Telara. I never thought of the game going that direction.

On a side note... I really need to read the lore.

Shadowlander

On a side note... I really need to read the lore.
    LOL, I'm still catching up with it myself. Since there was no precedent for it like there was with World of Warcraft, I am sure that the Trion creative department is always looking for new ways to expand the RIFT universe.

I've read a few articles about Blizzard's approach to lorecraft and storytelling, and those guys are basically holding on for dear life while shooting from the hip as well. Sometimes in a completely wrong direction (obviously, hehe), but sometimes they come up with stuff that really carries over.

I don't see why the lore of Trion's RIFT couldn't continue to expand as well, espcially since the story is all new. A lot of room for future expansions from the material they started with.

Telaran

I once heard of the lore for WoW being used as bedding paper for the employees pets, because basically when they wanted to implement something they threw out the story to make it fit. Like how Bloodelves were supposed to be part of the very Horde that basically ended their way of life? They changed the story on purpose so they could give the horde a "pretty" character since half the reason the Horde was underpopulated was because people thought their characters were ugly.

This game is limited on character choices and race rewards. I'd like to see some more. Sucks that my choices are a 2 minute cooldown sprint, a long range jump, and a shapeshift threat reducer? I'd like to see offensive and defensive abilities for each race for PvE and PvP, but that's a different suggestion for a different topic.

Going with the Lore though, it would be interesting if one of the Planar types became a player character, and a different type for each faction, unless it was a neutral faction that then chose its side once it came to Telara.

+ Reply to Thread