+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Add arena!

Shadowlander

Default Add arena!

With the game being a new launch I'm sure it has attracted people too it that are very new to the mmo field. It is great that it will introduce a whole new community to the game......however.

Pvp has become to easy. It would be nice to have arena for the people that want a little more of a challenge and want to pit their skills against equally matched opponents. I am not an elitist nor am I a 1337 player. However I seem to have gelled to rifts playstyle very well and WF's have become a bit of a roflstomp.
    Hopefully when we are in some state of semi-balance (whenever that may be! Trion will add arena).....
    At the very least some new pvp maps and content needs to be added. Understandably from the offset trion geared rift for pve content, however I think this is largely a mistake of alot of mmo devs.
    I do not believe that pvp minded players are a minority anymore, infact they are, if anything on par with pve player numbers, and developers should keep this in mind when adapting and including future game content!!!

Telaran

I can support your idea with one important caveat:

If arena is to be added, please add a role for arena only. Make it a free or cheap role that is the only role you can use while in arena. Make all the other roles available selectable for arena use, but when the inevitable nerf or buff comes along to balance arena, ONLY make the changes applicable or abilities affected while in the arena role.

I think it can be fair to say that arena has the ability to completely kill the fun and balance for PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by fiandp88 View Post
    With the game being a new launch I'm sure it has attracted people too it that are very new to the mmo field. It is great that it will introduce a whole new community to the game......however.

Pvp has become to easy. It would be nice to have arena for the people that want a little more of a challenge and want to pit their skills against equally matched opponents. I am not an elitist nor am I a 1337 player. However I seem to have gelled to rifts playstyle very well and WF's have become a bit of a roflstomp.
    Hopefully when we are in some state of semi-balance (whenever that may be! Trion will add arena).....
    At the very least some new pvp maps and content needs to be added. Understandably from the offset trion geared rift for pve content, however I think this is largely a mistake of alot of mmo devs.
    I do not believe that pvp minded players are a minority anymore, infact they are, if anything on par with pve player numbers, and developers should keep this in mind when adapting and including future game content!!!
    so you think Trion should add a feature the other game that added it has called a mistake to this game to lose them customers like that one did? and fyi..pvers out number the pvpers at least 2 to 1....

aion tried your line of thought and found out quickly this isnt true. and the pvpers dont stick as long as the pvers..
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

I think it can be fair to say that arena has the ability to completely kill the fun and balance for PvE.
    If you can get around this problem, I'll live with it. I think your best bet is to have arena set up like skirmishes were in WoW, except for the following: allow rating ladders, allow some gear acquisition (nothing better than WFs), and allow for miniscule favor gains (nothing exploitable).

I do not want arena complaints to ru(i)n the game.
    ((A gentleman never speaks out of bracket.))

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

There is no way arena will work in this game... at least not in the state it is now.

There is no way in hell you are killing a team with 3 clerics in it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Quote Originally Posted by Blays View Post
    There is no way arena will work in this game... at least not in the state it is now.

There is no way in hell you are killing a team with 3 clerics in it...
    Completely agree , if arena was introduced it would have to be objective based arena otherwise with how the class balance currently works it would fail.
    Last edited by Edguy; 06-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    "You take the Blizz pill, the story ends, you wake up in your warcraft bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the Trion pill, you stay in Telara, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Quote Originally Posted by Oggiefishier View Post
    and fyi..pvers out number the pvpers at least 2 to 1....

aion tried your line of thought and found out quickly this isnt true. and the pvpers dont stick as long as the pvers..
    27 of 58 NA servers are PvP. Perhaps in government school they taught you that 31 is twice as big as 27? And many of the servers were added (of both types) later to meet launch demands, so it's not a case of "Opps, we made too many PvP servers, silly us!".
    So, you think healthcare is a "right"? Then you also support the indenturing and/or enslavement of healthcare workers. Healthcare isn't a naturally occurring phenomenon like sunshine or air, someone else has to produce it, at a cost of their own time, and thus a portion of their life. So, be careful of what you would have the government claim for you at the point of a gun...

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cord 8D View Post
    27 of 58 NA servers are PvP. Perhaps in government school they taught you that 31 is twice as big as 27? And many of the servers were added (of both types) later to meet launch demands, so it's not a case of "Opps, we made too many PvP servers, silly us!".

And most of your so called dead servers are pvp.....judging from the amount of whine on the forums

Default Do NOT add arena to this game!

No, the developers should NOT add arena to this game! Not only is there no way you would be able to balance it out well enough, but that would give them an excuse to say, look, we added some pvp stuff, now we are off the hook. Arena sucks bad enough in WoW and I have heard it said that Blizz considered it a mistake in the first place.
    What this game NEEDS is RVR, not an incredibly unbalanced arena fiasco. Guardian vs. defiant or even shard vs. shard could be fun, but arena just wouldn't work well in this game.

Ascendant

Adding more non-dungeon/raid content would be nice. Give players a better variety to choose from when they log in and try to decide what to do.

Please don't... Arena's were horrible in WOW.... we already have PVP gear, we don't need more.... Arena's pretty much ruined WOW for a lot of us that enjoyed battle ground PVP. If you want Arena's, there are already games that have those, go play them. We don't need another wow...

Adding arenas to wow was a huge mistake (blizzard has publicly admitted this)....do you really think it's a good idea now?

Arena: Blizzard even admits it was a mistake.

Trion, don't repeat history.

You want arenas. Make it so that you get a random group of players every time you queue up. No premade teams just random groups vs random groups.
    Last edited by Geechee; 06-06-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    "Men who believe absurdities will commit atrocities."

World based objectives, please. If the Arena is outdoors and we can spectate / throw rotten fruit / release lions... sure!

That would be something of interest - but maybe a 4v4 and 8v8 that required each team to have at least one of each class. Queue as a group while you spectate others, scout their strategies, etc. That would probably require some cool server tech or creative coding, but you could block people from entering that area and duel flag the participants while in combat... I dunno, but it would be a fun spectacle.

Maybe even some option for the spectators to vote on lions / flaming tar pits / spikes after a minute or so of the match starting?

And it still won't let you off the hook for coming up with something better than Winterfail or that putrid circle zerg isle they introduced with Cata in WoW.
    Last edited by Fujitasix; 06-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast