+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Trinity System

Telaran

Default The Trinity System

The horrible 'Trinity system'

Tanks / Healers / DPS

The whole concept is absurdly limiting. It's a failed game design that unfortunately is still the model used for far too many MMOs. Why limit a characters ability and pigeonhole them into these particular roles? Why not allow each character to participate in all the content both offensively and defensively? What sense does it make to have a group rely on a tank or healer, who once dead causes the group to wipe. There is a good reason there is a 45 min - 1 hour wait in queues...people have to stand around spamming channels hoping that they can fill these roles in order to proceed through content.
    If you gave all characters the ability to do damage and heal both themselves and others in some fashion then all 5 players play an equal role in the success of the dungeon, raid etc.

The trinity system forces these roles which in turn limits what and mostly when a person can experience MMO content. Limits should only be held to group size not roles or class. Gone are the days of games like Asheron's Call where you could just group with X amount of players to enter content for X dungeon. A perfect example just happened a few days ago when our guild lost it's two main tanks to another game and we are now forced to have someone roll a tank before visiting specific content. Some will say that's what a dungeon finder tool is for, but the truth of the matter is that a LFG/LFD is a band aid fix to the larger problem, UNNECESSARY LIMITATIONS.

Guild Wars 2 'gets it'..with these statements.

Support players want to be able to say, "Remember that one time when I saved you from certain death?" They want to stand in the line of fire and block attacks. They want to surround their allies with a swirling dome of air that keeps enemy projectiles from passing through it. It's not about clicking on a health bar and watching it go up, it's about being there for your friends when they need you.

We keep hearing other MMO developers espousing the "holy trinity" of DPS/ heal/tank with such reverence, as if this is the most entertaining combat they have ever played. Frankly, we don't like sitting around spamming "looking for tank" to global chat. That feels an awful lot like preparing to have fun instead of having fun.

Can you just imagine how much more fun and challenging it would be to just group with any random group of players and jump into content instead of having to wait around sometimes for hours to try and fill the necessary roles forced onto gamers by the trinity system!

It isn't too late for Rift to make the change away from this god awful system and move towards balancing all players so everyone can take on both roles (offense and defense) and experience Rift the way it should be experienced. Not only does this game already have the perfect set up to do this, multiple souls, a wonderful customizing system but it is new enough that this could still be implemented. Moving away from the trinity system is the best chance at becoming the number one MMO in the industry because it is far too late for games like WoW to do this.
    Last edited by Morbius; 06-05-2011 at 07:49 AM.

I very much doubt that the core of the game is going to change.

The fact that the most successful fantasy based MMORPG's still use it to this day suggests that your assertion about it being flawed and a "failed game design" is incorrect. Now, I appreciate that you hate the trinity system, but others do like it and it DOES work, contrary to your opinion.

In my opinion I don't WANT to have access to every role, I want the reassurance that their character IS a particular class.
    Not just a definition-less character who has very little identity.
    Last edited by Tarka; 06-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    It isn't too late for Rift to make the change away from this god awful system and move towards balancing all players so everyone can take on both roles (offense and defense) and experience Rift the way it should be experienced.
    Though I am an active advocate for the softening or elimination of that antiquated DIKUmud throwback the Rift design is actually locked. Making a change to a core system like that would imbalance pretty much every aspect of the game from gear to mobs and dungeons. To make it work would literally require a complete redesign of the game from the ground up.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

You do realize that the trinity system is an inherent piece of combat. It transcends even the gaming setting.

This is not something Trion can change.

As for Guild Wars 2. They WILL have a trinity system. Now exactly what form it takes, I am not sure. However, I am absolutely certain that it will be present.
    ~Mjollnir - Dwarf Mage
    ~ NÓridhrien - High Elf Ranger (in your warfronts, hiding from warriors)

Knowledge and sorrow oft walk hand-in-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by NÓridhrien View Post
    You do realize that the trinity system is an inherent piece of combat. It transcends even the gaming setting.
    The trinity is a design decision, not a transcendent requirement to make a game. It can be set as an option rather than a necessity of game play. Both STO and CO does that. However, the design for Rift is set and the trinity runs deep through the entire system of the game. It cannot be changed at this point.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    The horrible 'Trinity system'

Guild Wars 2 'gets it'..with these statements.

Moving away from the trinity system is the best chance at becoming the number one MMO in the industry because it is far too late for games like WoW to do this.
    Guild Wars 2 gets it in more areas as well. I would like to give credit to TRION for making the support role a viable alternative to dps although tanks and healers are certainly needed.

Telaran

Perhaps the trinity system is too far along in Rift but i still stand by my opinion that trinity is a terrible system and far too limiting. WoW didn't begin with a full blown trinity system and it is beginning to suffer today because of it, long queue times being Cataclysm's primary downfall in my opinion. It was my hope that Rift being new could still over time begin to wean itself off this system and become a far deeper and less limiting gaming experience.

I agree some say the trinity system is what they prefer, and i suspect it is because it's all they've known. In my opinion the first good MMO that divorces itself from this tired format will be the one and only major competitor to WoW. If Rift can't go there it's a shame but someone eventually will and would capture a huge potential market for those of us sick to death of waiting around to complete content and being forced into set roles.

+ Reply to Thread