+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To alleviate dungeon queues: Heroes

Telaran

Default To alleviate dungeon queues: Heroes

What if there were a system that allows players to opt for what would essentially be, Hero mercenaries that replace players in dungeon content. This is, obviously, similar in concept to mercenaries in Guild Wars and would function similarly that respect.

Basically what you would have is a pool of potential Hero NPCs that grow and progress in the game just as a player would. So the pool of Hero NPCs you would perhaps get at level 20 would be the same as at level 50 except with higher levels and different aesthetics (like they've acquired new armor). There's a lot of potential for flavor with this idea, including verbal interactions the NPCs have while in a dungeon and combat reactions via text.

In terms of viability these characters would be appropriate for the content they would be doing but would be functionally 'less geared' than a player would be. What this means is that, being a NPC, their reactions would be more mechanically and realistically more precise and prone to fewer mistakes than a player but those players making up the rest of the group would be required to make up the difference in healing, tanking or damage done accordingly. Basically the dynamic would be very different than a complete player group. In the end it would be a calculated decision on the player's part to choose to us Heroes in a dungeon but would maybe solve the issue of queue times.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gormundr View Post
    What if there were a system that allows players to opt for what would essentially be, Hero mercenaries that replace players in dungeon content. This is, obviously, similar in concept to mercenaries in Guild Wars and would function similarly that respect.

Basically what you would have is a pool of potential Hero NPCs that grow and progress in the game just as a player would. So the pool of Hero NPCs you would perhaps get at level 20 would be the same as at level 50 except with higher levels and different aesthetics (like they've acquired new armor). There's a lot of potential for flavor with this idea, including verbal interactions the NPCs have while in a dungeon and combat reactions via text.

In terms of viability these characters would be appropriate for the content they would be doing but would be functionally 'less geared' than a player would be. What this means is that, being a NPC, their reactions would be more mechanically and realistically more precise and prone to fewer mistakes than a player but those players making up the rest of the group would be required to make up the difference in healing, tanking or damage done accordingly. Basically the dynamic would be very different than a complete player group. In the end it would be a calculated decision on the player's part to choose to us Heroes in a dungeon but would maybe solve the issue of queue times.
    So... AI-controlled party members?
    I don't like the idea of this. Especially when you consider the Artificial "intelligence" of foothold defender NPCs ;)
    Rogue - Defiant
    Neglected - Whitefall PvP

I stalk the AddOn section.
    Follow me on twitter for miscellaneous ramblings from within Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglected View Post
    So... AI-controlled party members?
    I don't like the idea of this. Especially when you consider the Artificial "intelligence" of foothold defender NPCs ;)
    Ever played DDO with the hirelings?

They aren't that bad. A soloer can have 3 of them (had 2 healers and one ranged DPS), and I found this really fun because I could take as long as I wanted to finish the dungeon (FINALLY having the chance to explore the whole dungeon, not just race through them in public groups and at level). You get an action bar of their abilities, and can control their movements. I found it excellent training in dual boxing, too. Hirelings are the #1 thing I love in DDO apart from 32pt character builds, as now you can play at anytime without the damn access problems.

So the concept is already out there for MMOs (and changing your class, DDO has Reincarnation), the big question is IF other MMOs will impliment it, or let their titles remain on life support...as WoW sucks the live out of the genre.

Then we would have a single player game other than a very very few top level elite raiders.

This would actually help quite a bit with the dungeon ques the way they are, personally i like the idea. In guild wars i loved heroe classes rlly helped to get things goin at 4 am when u got 3 ppl but need 8 for the instance u want to attempt(example from gw) now these should not be useable in raids hopefully only in dungeons and MAYBE for major rifts if there is a way that could work. Lets just hope if they do try it they dont make them as dumb as the guys u summons with the flare to attack footholds lol

When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue.
    -Mao Zadong

Rift Disciple

Sounds similar to GW's heroes or henchmen. Heroes are great because you can change their skills and use your own unlocked skills for them. Plus you can tell them to what to attack by announcing your target and they'll attack it. Being a fairly solo or duo player I'd love to see this implemented. Or the ability to do dungeons at level with just one or two people. It's not that I don't dislike people, but I dislike ninja's and I've lost too many loots to too many people to feel comfortable grouping with strangers. Sadly, I'm too casual to join a big guild. Life and children come first.

+ Reply to Thread