+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: If an NPC invasion can Kill a wardstone, spawn a foothold and take over a town....

Default If an NPC invasion can Kill a wardstone, spawn a foothold and take over a town....

Why cant a player do the same? This bugs me every time I play rift and engage in world pvp. I see invasions come through and wipe a town clean, set up a foothold and claim it for their legion.

I want to do that. The system is there. Its set in place. NPCs can DO IT. Why cant players!? This doesnt really make sense to me especially with everyone crying for world pvp. Just enable players to take these and place their own.

Then players could attack certain towns to shut down respawn points and healers/merchants. That would make for epic world battles on a large scale imo. Increase the planarite rewards for it and all that.

Make it so that if the town/camp is grey to you you cant take it, it just simple respawns. That way level 50's cant go down to stone/gloom and **** camps.

If i was the CEO of Rift this is something that would have been done a long time ago as its pretty much a no brainier. The system is there....NPC's can do it!!!

Instead i bet we get another lame pve event...../facepalm
    Last edited by MicrowaveSeller; 06-04-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    SixtwoSix
    Level 50 R3 Rogue Tearfall -retired until Transfers.
    Level 31 Mage Briarcliff - Active.

I love the concept of the idea to take over warstones and spawn footholds of your own faction's NPCs....

IN THEORY

Ok imagine if they became super popular. Trion wants guardians to stay on their side of the world and vice versa because this game is so throttled it cannot handle any world lag at all. When the world pvp fun begins, the zone gets over-saturated, lowbies cry because too many rifts are spawning, Quest hubs disappear, a nightmare for Trion and the majority of players.

But by not doing so just makes Rift a poor wow clone. Trion has sort of painted themselves into a corner here regarding world pvp.
    Last edited by Trisian; 06-04-2011 at 08:29 AM.

I think this would be awesome, it would make u seem more part of your team and also make it feel like ur actually warring the other person. As well as make higher lvls have to stay in lower lvl territorys gaurding the area from 50s invading.
    Be an amazing idea

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Long story short: Because it's too annoying and becomes an avenue for griefing. It was actually possible back around beta 5, it worked out really badly.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

It would be great fun, but I know a lot of servers have a huge discrepancy in guardian/defiant balance and having my town taken over and not being able to grab quests would be a huge annoyance, especially if we couldn't field the right amount of people to take it back from a force that greatly outnumbers us.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Long story short: Because it's too annoying and becomes an avenue for griefing. It was actually possible back around beta 5, it worked out really badly.
    This WAS possible in beta, but the "I only PvE, nerf peeveepee" crowd screamed so loud they removed it. It didn't "work out badly" unless you were girlie man and would log rather than PvP.

It WAS a great time.

Z
    Last edited by Znick; 06-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Not if you work it out properly. Take EQ1 for example. I played on a private server on EQemu called EQ1:Guildwars. It was a FFA PVP server and the one thing that set it apart was the the devs made it so that guilds could actually take over cities like Freeport, Akanon, neriak ect. To do this you had to kill all the guards then spawn youre own. Guards were bought at an NPC for high cost. There were weak guards and strong ones. Point is, if it can exist in a game like EQ1 it can work in Rift. Especially if the system is there.

Of course you would need to tweak a few things to prevent griefing. Make a new planar ability, and make it cost charge to raise a "foothold." That way it would be limited. This would also give defiant and guardian flare abilities use. Remember those? I just dont see how this could be unbalanced and "not" fun.

This would be the one great thing to really set rift pvp apart from all the other games. You add this and you dont need a world pvp system or zone. Its there. Thats what frustrates me about this so much. RIft has the potential to have amazing world pvp. The system is already in place! JUST DO IT!
    SixtwoSix

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    This WAS possible in beta, but the "I only PvE, nerf peeveepee" crowd screamed so loud they removed it. It didn't "work out badly" unless you were girlie man and would log rather than PvP.

It WAS a great time.

Z
    If that is true, its upsetting. They should have kept this system for pvp servers. Would have made Rift the greatest pvp game out. But i guess the pve crowd carebears got their watered down game...
    SixtwoSix

Add a map that shows by red/blue who controls where, and you've got some great open world gaming.

Heck, just add it to the PvP servers...

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    Add a map that shows by red/blue who controls where, and you've got some great open world gaming.

Heck, just add it to the PvP servers...

Z
    you dont need a new map. Thats the thing thats so frustrating about rift. The world pvp system everyone wants is already there. The problem is, NPCs are the only ones that can do it. If they make it so players can take towns and set footholds then you have all the world pvp in every zone you would ever want.

It can and would work.
    SixtwoSix

Quote Originally Posted by MicrowaveSeller View Post
    It can and would work.

I want you seriously to sit down and consider- picture in your head- what the general forums/PvP forums would look like if this system was put back in place.

It would be horrifying. A mess. The crying would be incredible. People threatening to quit. People screaming about griefing. People finally reaching that conclusion that's so popular these days, that PvP = griefing.

The screamers and criers would hide in their capitals even more so, for fear of waltzing into a quest hub and getting murdered by summoned faction guards. There would be even -less- people running around, and yet general in those cities would still be rife
    with people crying about the system.
    Last edited by Gazrael; 06-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    M'Nope.

Because implementing that mechanic would make Rift Shadowbane 2 and that game was a horrible, horrible flop.

What you suggest would appeal to maybe 5% or less of the games subscriber base. Like it or not, "care bear" PvE players are the vast majority of long term subscribers. What you suggest would drive them away in droves and kill the game.

And so it begins with the made-up percentages.
    M'Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazrael View Post
    I want you seriously to sit down and consider- picture in your head- what the general forums/PvP forums would look like if this system was put back in place.

It would be horrifying. A mess. The crying would be incredible. People threatening to quit. People screaming about griefing. People finally reaching that conclusion that's so popular these days, that PvP = griefing.

The screamers and criers would hide in their capitals even more so, for fear of waltzing into a quest hub and getting murdered by summoned faction guards. There would be even -less- people running around, and yet general in those cities would still be rife
    with people crying about the system.
    I want you to take a minute and realize...THERE ARE PVE SERVERS.

If you dont want pvp dont roll on pvp. Im tired of hearing about griefing from carebears who roll on pve servers expecting not to die in world pvp.

Get over it. This is a pvp server thing. Dont like it...move to pve..
    SixtwoSix

...I'm on your side. I'm telling you what would happen. It doesn't matter what your response or rebuttal is, that is what Trion would have to deal with.
    M'Nope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast