+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riddle dungeon

Default Riddle dungeon

I was watching the old batman animated series yesterday with a client when one of my favorite episodes with the Riddler came on. It was called "if you are so smart, why aren't you rich?". Basically the riddler has batman and robin running round this maze trying to get to the center and save the hostage. Along the way they had to solve riddles to proceed. Most notable was the 'key riddle' that had 3 keys A,B, and C. Pick the wrong key and blades flew at the heroes equal to the number of sharps that key had on a piano. The answer was C for no sharps.

So this inspired my idea for a riddle themed dungeon. You are still making your way to the center boss, still have a boss fight, but maybe make things a little more interesting in the trip or even the final boss. A little ways in the map separates into two or more paths. At the junction can be a npc giving a riddle as a quest. The answer is by going through one of the separate paths, choose the wrong one and you walk into a room with a bunch of mob spawns. However pick the right one you turn in the quest for xp and get a chest with a guaranteed blue. Not sure if there would be a way to do puzzles with the boss, which failure means a boss fight but that would be what I was thinking there.

To keep the puzzles fresh, you can have them given out randomly so that each run gives different riddles out and keeps it fresh. There are also thousands of riddles out there to choose from, and they even can be made from the game's lore. To keep parties from 'testing' rooms you can have one way gates and the npc or mobs only spawn when the entire party is in a certain part of the room.

Basically a dungeon that is more brain than brawn would be nice. The only other game i've ever seen incorporate puzzles was D&D online, and they could be nasty puzzles at times. I don't suggest anything to that level but TRION already put some decent puzzles in so they must not be to against puzzles in their game.
    Last edited by Moon2587; 06-04-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    I cut through the gears of destiny to forge my own fate.

Soulwalker

A nice idea...
    But you see, 99% of people playing MMOs dont HAVE brains.
    And they're the ones giving Trion money.
    So this wont happen, sadly. Pity, I'd like to see smarter dungeons.
    Also, wouldn't there be cheat sheets? Eventually? Like, the riddle comes up, and someone who was too stupid to figure it out before had checked a cheat sheet, memorised it, say the answer, and then say "Hurr durr, I so smart, smarter then all you nubs!".
    Really. Wouldn't end well. Sad, because that is definately the best batman-inspired idea I've seen for a while.
    Last edited by Rathuar; 06-04-2011 at 08:27 AM.

I'm sure others would like to see smarter dungeons too. i'm also not to worried about cheat sheets, as people already spend hours studying runs through dungeons on youtube as it is. Also like I said, there are thousands off riddles out there to choose from.

We don't need another dungeon to mindlessly grind at 50.

Though I wish there were more puzzles in the world. They are fun. Riddles are too...

The more there is the less you see. What is it?
    ||There is no patch for human stupidity||

It's refreshing in DDO they still have puzzles in their dungeons (love the picture puzzles).

But if you haven't noticed that MMOs are geared to PvP mindsets (all DPS and racing through dungeons/raids). They skip anything to get to the end, so won't wait to solve even one puzzle.

Fast food MMOs.

Sad.

Oh I agree that pvp is dominant, I also like pvp. But I also like the environments and the story and try to read as much as I can as i'm leveling. I know this kind of dungeon won't be everyone's cup of tea, and i;m not sure how you can make it 'heroic' difficulty. Still, if it is in i'm sure it would be popular if for no other reason then getting those blues. On top of which it potentially would have the shortest run of all the dungeons since you could potentially bypass all the combat except for the final boss.

Be nice to know if TRION finds the idea interesting at all.
    Last edited by Moon2587; 06-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon2587 View Post
    Oh I agree that pvp is dominant, I also like pvp. But I also like the environments and the story and try to read as much as I can as i'm leveling. I know this kind of dungeon won't be everyone's cup of tea, and i;m not sure how you can make it 'heroic' difficulty. Still, if it is in i'm sure it would be popular if for no other reason then getting those blues. On top of which it potentially would have the shortest run of all the dungeons since you could potentially bypass all the combat except for the final boss.

Be nice to know if TRION finds the idea interesting at all.
    PVP is NOT domination in this game. PVP'ers are just the loudest bi|ches.
    ||There is no patch for human stupidity||

Maybe not, I personally enjoy it but I do not spend all my time in the warfronts.

Anyways, would anyone from the community actually be interested in such a dungeon? I've heard people don't think the game community would enjoy it. But would anyone personally like to see such a dungeon or something similar?

I miss even having complex quests with riddles and other sorts of hard stuff that is not fighting. I would really like to see atleast 1 couple brain game dungeons. There is soo much they could do with them its not even funny just a simple how do i get the chicken fox and whatever that third object is across the bridge, ez enough. Or a maze whr if ur group takes the wrong turn to far mobs pop up and maybe there would be a couple hidden/optional bosses in these dungeons only accessible by completeing the harder puzzles.

Also these could work with raids(i miss the chess event)

When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue.
    -Mao Zadong

I like the idea, but I would advise expanding it. Give some puzzle ideas, and boss fight ideas, as well as mechanics in the dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

+ Reply to Thread