+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fixes to the Need/Greed/Pass system

Shadowlander

Default Fixes to the Need/Greed/Pass system

1) People shouldn't even be capable of rolling 'need' on gear there class can't use.

2) Give us a way to preset our need/greed/pass choice on different types and rarities of gear and types of drops (taking in to account #1 of course). Let most of it happen in the background. It's a pita to have a window pop up in your face while you're getting your face bashed in (or doing the bashing). Especially in a battlefront. Other games have it. Rift should too.

Good ideas. They do need to make it does only the correct calling can roll for a armor type.

For those that do not know:
    Warrior = Plate
    Cleric = Mail
    Rogue = Leather
    Mage = Cloth

With this game the need for a cleric (healer classes) to use cloth, like some other MMOs, is NOT needed and pointless.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

xip

What if a guildie I know, or an alt I have, has use for that item? Am I absolutely not allowed to need it?
    <WarForge>

Quote Originally Posted by xip View Post
    What if a guildie I know, or an alt I have, has use for that item? Am I absolutely not allowed to need it?

Correct and lets remember most of them items are BOP. So you could not give to another if wanted to.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

xip

And on NOT-bop items?

Was running AP and someone wanted to change the loot threshold to common to roll on mats. When another outfitter started needing witchweave, he got really angry. /related
    <WarForge>

Since your alt or your guildmate are not in the group fighting to get that loot, then yes, you shouldn't be rolling "need" for those items. Why should they get any priority over the people actually in the group who may need those items?

What if I know someone who's sister knows someone's dog who needs it?

Plane Touched

Default This horse has been beaten...

I think you keep the current instance or raid/sliver system the way it is, the real issue is when it comes to Public Partying or Warfronts or RVR and I think to fix that they just need to create a 2 Loot Option system. You either want it or you don't, probably "Want" and "Pass", so at least at that point everyone has equal chance for said item or they just don't give a crap.

That coupled with the ability to trade items that are unchanged (i.e. runed, enhanced, etc.) for a decent timer like 30 mins, would go a long way to improving the system. I don't think the answer needs to be as strict as the wardrobe, because that just takes away from the "real life" of the game. A warrior is trained in the ways of armor and weapons and should be able to wear it all he is the most experienced solo fighter in armor, so he should be able to wear chain as well (as an example). Now there may not be stat reasons, but don't limit the players beyond what they can with the current game rules (not counting Wardrobe, that's dumb).

Later.

Telaran

Sometimes, as a cleric, I will see a cloth piece that is an upgrade for me. If the mage(s) in the group don't want it, why can't I roll on it? And before the whole "you are a cleric stick with chain" argument ensues, there are cloth pieces that are superior to chain for caster clerics/healers.

As to the automatic, or semi-automatic system for loot... if you are tired of a loot screen popping up in the middle of battle... don't run with bads who loot before everything is dead. As a matter of fact, 95% of your loot drama can be solved by running with decent people. If you are complaining about loot problems in a PuG, you have to go into a PuG with the expectation that this kind of thing will happen.

In short the loot system is fine, run with a better guild (or find one ASAP) and watch your loot problems disappear... until you start raiding and your guildmates turn into whiny loot****** whenever a t3 piece is up for grabs.

Banned

I always thought the rules were:

1) Gear, need if your class can use it (Plate for warriors etc.)
    2) Essences, need if your type can use it (Intelligence for casters etc.)
    3) Generics, Always need (Catalysts, Eternals, Puresources)

Pretty much everyone can use Catalysts, and someone will probably need it anyway and try to ninja it. Rather than police the group just everyone need and let the RNG figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    1) People shouldn't even be capable of rolling 'need' on gear there class can't use.
    Every character can use ever single thing that drops in Rift with the exception of the crafting quest drops. Your problem is the concept of "use" is very very narrow. I would be very upset if I was in a dungeon with a group of clerics and rogues and a cloth or plat drop was untouchable. Right there could be the gold that paid for the potions I bought for the run, but no, I can't sell it because someone used the phrase "it's not fair".

Leave this stuff on the playground. Nothing will ever be fair no matter what. You think it's not fair that anyone can loot anything. I think it would be unfair that I could not sell something because I'm not X class. Honestly, my illustrated need is more fair because it satisfies needs of every player. Yours does not.
    Last edited by Ayenn; 05-30-2011 at 06:33 AM.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    Every character can use ever single thing that drops in Rift with the exception of the crafting quest drops. Your problem is the concept of "use" is very very narrow. I would be very upset if I was in a dungeon with a group of clerics and rogues and a cloth or plat drop was untouchable. Right there could be the gold that paid for the potions I bought for the run, but no, I can't sell it because someone used the phrase "it's not fair".

Leave this stuff on the playground. Nothing will ever be fair no matter what. You think it's not fair that anyone can loot anything. I think it would be unfair that I could not sell something because I'm not X class. Honestly, my illustrated need is more fair because it satisfies needs of every player. Yours does not.
    It wouldn't be untouchable; you'd all be allowed to roll greed on it. The only difference is that if you had a single warrior or mage in the group with you, they'd be able to pull priority on you.

Let's look at an unfair side of your system: A BOP melee dagger drops; it's a 4 dps upgrade for a rogue, but everyone can sell it for 28g. It's "less fair" for someone in the group to get it so they can npc it for pocket change than to allow a class that can make specific use of it get it.

The point of need is and always has been "this is an upgrade for me. I am going to use it, either immediately or as soon as I rune it"

Given that, it makes sense to limit need to at least armor a class should be using and to exclude items one simply can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmoran View Post
    Let's look at an unfair side of your system: A BOP melee dagger drops; it's a 4 dps upgrade for a rogue, but everyone can sell it for 28g. It's "less fair" for someone in the group to get it so they can npc it for pocket change than to allow a class that can make specific use of it get it.
    The concept of need in a game is purely subjective. There are conditions or situations where in potentual need spans across larger or smaller populations. In my scenario the state of need is absolutely and totally universal and universally satisfied. Your suggestion does not have that quality. In fact it boarders on bigotry. You are literally saying in certain cases one calling is more equal than another calling.

Values, like need is subjective. Someone who has no currency at all is in need of that 28g as much as anyone who needs the drop for upgrade. your scenario remains far more unfair than mine and your false logic will not change that fact.

Sorry, this idea is bad though to many it may not seem so.
    Last edited by Ayenn; 05-30-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

I need chain upgrades. I roll on those. The rest of the stuff is greed to me.

Rheven, 45 Battle Cleric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast