+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion, please let me add a Defiant to friends, and stuff

Default Trion, please let me add a Defiant to friends, and stuff

I met an Eth yesterday and we chatted a bit. Closed a rift together. Had to make a Defiant character to add her to friends.

Now, I know that we are at "war" and all that (imho) nonsense. But maybe the fact that we are on a PvE server should tell something.

My best friend in WoW was Horde (I was Alliance of course). We each kept an alt in the opposite faction just to communicate, plan meetings etc. When we met, sometimes we would flag and PvP for fun, sometimes we would help each other in quests. Not being able to communicate directly was only an annoyance.

But this is only a small example of a more general problem with MMO games: namely, they have a quite expanded demographic now, but they still continue catering only to a subset of it, i.e. boys and boyhood nostalgic men.

Allt the others, including Yours Truly, still enjoy fighting in a game. But to tell the truth, we'd like to be able to do some other exciting and/or fun things, rather than the boring and/or ultimately pointless alternatives we have now.

So here I'm asking for a "Hello Kitty" (this is the "code name" of course) mode to the game:

1) No canned enemy factions. You decide who your friends and enemies are, on an individual basis. So, of course you can add everybody to friends.
    2) Lots more "fluff" (dresses, costumes, disguises, hairstytles, nameable pets, sittable chairs, some enterable houses, preposterous dwarves, bard music, world holidays etc.).
    3) Less grindy and more fun crafting system.
    4) More scope to exploring the world, with more "easter eggs" etc.
    5) "Easy mode" instances tuned for mere mortals (so the hardcore PvEers can continue to have the "hard mode" ones and everybody is happy).
    6) More open world end-game content (come on, you have just the right technology for that).
    7) More puzzles: quest chains organised like mini-adventure games, where you have to solve "puzzles" to go on, would be FANTASTIC. Just an example: a quest chain where you actually have to FORGE a sword yourself, by finding the materials, putting them together the right way, adding the right enchants etc. Btw this could put the fun in crafting, too.

I know I have mixed things specific of the "Hello Kitty" mode with things more general to the game; I just rambled on to give an idea of what I'm meaning.

OF COURSE I don't even dream of having all that like in one week. But... just starting to consider some of this, please?

I think such a mode, if adequately advertised, could draw to the game a new, potentially big, demographic. WoW itself has a lot of fluff, and I think that accounts for a bit of its success. When I played WoW, I had my whole backpack full of my most cherished fluff items, that I carried around everywhere. Here I have none. It's the only thing I'm really missing of that game. I know, there it was the result of six years, here it's been a little more than a month. Still...

Thanks,

'berry
    Last edited by Goodberry; 05-30-2011 at 03:29 AM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Soulwalker

Is this a troll thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Yentz View Post
    Is this a troll thread?
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Is this a troll thread?
    <Sigh>

No. Only time I was a troll was as a Horde shaman.

I'd call my post constructive criticism. Of course you are free to disagree.

Can I have your... oh wait, you said nothing about quitting. :P

xip

I like it!

Imagine Trion slapping a little pub or contested-neutral zone in that greyed out area between gloamwood and stonefield (where I'm guessing Port Scion is). The only zone where defiants and guardian can inter-chat and PVP is disabled.

I know there are some guilds that are both defiant and guardian. Could be fun to discuss at that location planned guild v guild pvp raids.
    <WarForge>

Clearly OP is trolling.. There is never a need to friend an ENEMY fact.

If you want to make a character of that faction. PROBLEM FIXED
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

xip

At around Christmas in 1914 during WW1, German and British soldiers held an unofficial cease-fire along the western front.

They exchanged gifts, sang Christmas carols, held joint funerals, and even played soccer together.

Not saying who's who here, but regardless, it's not out of the question that it happens.
    <WarForge>

Plane Walker

I've always hoped in these multi faction games there would be a way to betray your faction to join another, or even absolve factions entirely and like you say, make your own factions. I think a problem that would arise is small guilds would lose out to larger ones, especially on pvp servers.

You are not alone, OP, but I wouldn't expect such a massive overhaul to this game.

Quote Originally Posted by xip View Post
    At around Christmas in 1914 during WW1, German and British soldiers held an unofficial cease-fire along the western front.

They exchanged gifts, sang Christmas carols, held joint funerals, and even played soccer together.

Not saying who's who here, but regardless, it's not out of the question that it happens.
    Yep and the day after they were back blowing each other up. Simply amazing.
    Eth Sentinel/Warden/Purifier

xip

Quote Originally Posted by Benea View Post
    Yep and the day after they were back blowing each other up. Simply amazing.
    Gotta get paid somehow. ;]
    <WarForge>

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    Clearly OP is trolling.. There is never a need to friend an ENEMY fact.

If you want to make a character of that faction. PROBLEM FIXED
    Trolling like in expressing an (I know, unpopular) opinion?

I love MMO games, I have had (and am having, with Rift) some real fun with them. But answers like yours, and knowing that it's probably what the majority of the players think ("Red is dead", blah), make me want to return to an inkling of sanity with single-player games and text-based adventures, and leave for good these skewed virtual worlds where the only accepted form of interacting is killing.

About your helpful suggestion: are you able to read? it's just what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    Clearly OP is trolling
    Considering that's the best response you can make to a thoughtful post, I'd say the only one "trolling" this thread was you. Gratz, you got me to respond. Go you

FWIW, I think the OP's suggestion doesn't go far enough. I think that on PvE servers, the whole "we're always super-serious hostile to each other" faction idea is utter nonsense. I advocate allowing Guardians & Defiants to group together on PvE servers, for pretty much any PvE-specific goals.

Especially since we're "not in Azeroth" any more, though you'd be hard-pressed to know that
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodberry View Post
    1) No canned enemy factions. You decide who your friends and enemies are, on an individual basis. So, of course you can add everybody to friends.
    2) Lots more "fluff" (dresses, costumes, disguises, hairstytles, nameable pets, sittable chairs, some enterable houses, preposterous dwarves, bard music, world holidays etc.).
    3) Less grindy and more fun crafting system.
    4) More scope to exploring the world, with more "easter eggs" etc.
    So far so good, /signed on all of these.

5) "Easy mode" instances tuned for mere mortals (so the hardcore PvEers can continue to have the "hard mode" ones and everybody is happy).
    Only if they nerf drops and dungeon rewards for easy mode.

No comment on the rest.

Is this a troll thread?
    I see what you did there

+ Reply to Thread