+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guild Alliances, More than a note in your MOTD

Plane Touched

Default Guild Alliances, More than a note in your MOTD

It seems that the way guilds develop is turning out to be similar to "The Game That Shall Not Be Named" with many small guilds between friends springing up for short periods and then folding as other decide they would get more from the bigger guilds. Friendships are made and lost through activity wavering and poor communications.

Why cant a small group of friends form their own guild and still have the tools available to participate in larger scale content without resorting to sociliting randoms to join hastily put together pugs through either the LFG or the chat channels. Why cant a larger guild plagued with attendance issues not be able to draw upon another pool of players that they know and can trust to fill empty spots in their raids.

The solution to providing these, I am sure, must have been brought up before and is somewhat covered through exterior sites to facilitate a very poor level of interactivity between separate guilds. The Alliance system.

My suggestion is formed to provide a simple and practical way to cover the major points brought up, there are points that MUST be in place for it to work and others which can be left out if they turn out to be too much work.

Suggestion:
    An alliance system that would allow guilds to communicate together through an added channel '6./Alliance'.

The alliance forming and breaking would either be limited to leader or be part of the rank ability system already in place. The visibiltiy and use of said Alliance channel would also be a rank ability to be set by the guild leaders.

When a guild alliance is suggested, one guild leader would activate it, and the other (or duly represted authority) would accept it.. on a third guild joining BOTH other guild leaders would have to accept the invitation to the alliance as they would be sharing the same channels.

Maybe:
    An extra tab to see who is online in each guild in the alliance

A whole page dedicated to the alliance similar to the guild tab.

Ranking system for use in BIG alliances with many guilds to organise the most trustworthy ones. (individual to guilds so that the ranking of guild A on guild B isnt seen by guild C who has to set their own.

There need not be any added content for these alliances, this being just a means for people to communicate between guilds without having to take it to tells or public channels. The need not be any naming structure (although it would be nice) or any outside indication that the said alliance was formed.

In all, why should the question of which guild merges in to which for people to see content be a major contender. My guild with over 50 active players (all different times) cant guarantee a safe merge with a guild of 11 active players as they wish to remain autonomous.

I cant think of any drawbacks to this system where people are free to form their own guilds and still have a chance to be able to participate in all the content available without having to merge or leave their close group of friends to join a bigger guild.

This is something missing from other games that could be implemented here that will add yet another feather to the already feathery cap of Rift and would certainly increase the influx of more social and casual gamers. The chance of being able to build hardcore raiding guilds with a soft allback would also draw in Hardcore gamers in their droves.

/who <enter guild name>

/join <enter chat name>

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by StuffedDuck View Post
    /who <enter guild name>

/join <enter chat name>
    Anyone can do that.. but a protected chat channel for the alliance guilds?.. that doesnt exist.. you cant even put passwords on the chat channels. And yeah the who is nice but why not have it on a tab too.. you have a social tab dont you for friends?.. why draw lines?

I could not agree more. A robust Alliance system needs to be implemented.

Here are some of the things our ad-hoc alliance have been thinking of in addition to the features mentioned by the original poster.

Rally Banners: The ability to rally to an Alliance guild's banner.

Alliance Chat: (Mentioned above) /a would act like /g or /o to talk in the alliance channel. A banner placed by Alliance would emote on this channel. Clicking on your rally scroll would teleport you to the banner location. If multiple banners were placed, a dialog would pop up with a small map allowing you to select one of the active banners.

Erm...why not just literally join each other's guild?

I'm pretty sure you can password protect your chat channels. I wil get you the command

/password # <Password>
    Last edited by xDuffvy; 07-18-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Here is a copy past from a guide that I put on my website (Not my work, took it from these forums)

A lot of nifty chat room commands:
    (add a / )
    chat # <message>,# <message> - Selects a chat channel you have joined and enters a message when a message follows the space after the number. See /chatlist for chatlist numbers.
    chatlist - Gives the list of chat channels and their numbers you have joined and that can be selected by /1, /2, etc. Aliases of this command are chatinfo and chatwho.
    guild <message> - Selects the guild chat channel and enters a message when a message follows the space after the command. Aliases for this command are /gu, /gc and /g.
    join <channel> - Joins a chat channel when the channel exists or not. Aliases for this command are chatjoin, cjoin, channel and chan.
    leave # - Leaves a chat channel by giving its number. See /chatlist for chatlist numbers. Aliases for this command are /chatleave, /chatexit, /cleave and /cexit.
    lfg - Short command to join the LFG channel (/join LFG).
    party <message> - Opens a party channel and sends a message when a text follows the space after the command to all party members. Alias for this command is p.
    tell <Player Name> <message> - Opens a tell/whisper channel to another character and sends a message in this private channel when a text follows the space after the character name.
    Aliases for this command are whisper, w and t. The hotkey 'r' ot the command reply can be used to repond to the last person sending you a tell (or whisper).
    wf <message> - Opens a warfront team channel and sends a message when a text follows the space after the command to all warfront team members.
    raid <message> - Opens a raid channel and sends a message when a text follows the space after the command to all raid members. Alias of this command is /rsay.
    say <message> - Opens an local channel and sends a message when a text follows the space after the command. Alias for this command is s.
    yell <message> - Opens an local channel and sends a message when a text follows the space after the command. Work like say but the text get another colour to emphasize it. Alias for this command is shout.
    announce # - Enables join/leave announcements for a given channel. Alias for this command is /ann.
    chatban # <player name> - Kick and bans a player from a chat channel. Aliases for this command are /ban, /bk and /cban.
    chatinvite # <player name> - Invites a player to a private chat channel. Alias for this command is /cinvite.
    chatunban # <player name> - Unbans a player from a chat channel. Aliases for this command are /unban and /cunban.
    moderator # <player name> - Make a player character moderator of the given channel. Alias for this command is /mod.
    owner # <player name> - Transfers channel ownership to another player character.
    password # <password> - Sets the channel's password, or clears it if no password entered.
    private # - Make a channel private. People must be invited using /cinvite to join.
    public # - Makes a channel public. Anyone can join who is not on the ban list.
    unannounce # - Disables join/leave announcements for a given channel. Alias for this command is /unann.
    unmoderator # <player name> - Remove moderator permissions for a player character on the given channel.
    Last edited by xDuffvy; 07-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Plane Touched

actually I would like the thought of guild mergers... like 1,2,3 poof everyone in guild one is now a member of guild 2. Guild 1 leader would have rank 2 automatically sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malagus View Post
    actually I would like the thought of guild mergers... like 1,2,3 poof everyone in guild one is now a member of guild 2. Guild 1 leader would have rank 2 automatically sort of thing.
    That's basically why people ask for guild alliances instead of just merging themselves.

Someone always has to be the big dawg, and no one wants to give that up. The officers don't want to lose their little clique or place to talk about other members/people.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by KnirpsLyn View Post
    That's basically why people ask for guild alliances instead of just merging themselves.

Someone always has to be the big dawg, and no one wants to give that up. The officers don't want to lose their little clique or place to talk about other members/people.
    But is there an automated guild merger feature or is it ... disband and hopefully send out all the invites?

Rift Disciple

Default too hard to gear up for first raid

I think the reason we are seeing small guilds fold is because it is hard to gear up to get into the first 20 man raid.

Having a true 20 man entry level raid of T1 level could really help.

I also put in a post about combining dungeons levels of T1 and T2 - at least at this stage of the game.

Erm...why not just literally join each other's guild?
    Because you loose all the perks with your old guild. Also sometimes there is a sense of loyalty to the guild you joined initially. Alliances allow you to play with other groups that you like and share some of the features (ideally) but still maintain your group identity.

I would wager there are SOME that want to give that up. Running a guild can be a lot of work. Sometimes people just want to play and not be concerned with the hassle of managing the guild.

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Like they did in DAoC

I agree 100%... we need to have in game alliances implemented into the game in this fashion!

I also agree that DAoC had one of the best in game alliance systems EVER!!! I know because I ran one of the biggest alliances on Lancelot/Midgard. It was soooo great to have an extension of my guild, have our own separate chat channel, have the ability to manage who talks in the alliance channel, have an alliance message of the day, etc. etc. we used it EXTENSIVELY for PvE and PvP purposes!!

How about it TRION????
    Last edited by Danitsia; 09-01-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Core Raid Spots Available --- (Trekkies) Wed/Sun/Mon 9 PM - 12 AM ST :: Holding TRYOUTS for a core raid spots on Mon/Tues, 5:30 PM Server, just send a tell! Must be 3/4 or 4/5 minimum!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast