+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bring back AAs! A modern MMO approach to end game squatting

Soulwalker

Lightbulb Bring back AAs! A modern MMO approach to end game squatting

Now before everyone flames me for this idea think about it. AAs were back in EQ days as a way of continued evolution of a character. Think of them as end game XP. Things like increasing damage or healing or a multitude of other things. The problem is EQ had such an end game grind that it became "grinding for AAs". With the maturity of MMOs I believe something like AAs should make a come back. Think of it as another carrot on the stick. We are already doing dailys for faction, we are already doing experts for plaques. Getting XP that would go toward a new set of abilities would be icing on the cake. It gives reason to do more stuff than log on, do a daily, run an expert and log off. In today's modern day you could have AAs for all kinds of things. % increase in damage from certain weapon types, % heal bonus, even crafting % random bonus buff to item made or the ability to do glowy flashy things with characters. Give end game players a reason to continue playing past the 6-8 raid time. Give people in smaller guilds the ability to feel like they are making progress at their level.

So I say it's time to bring back AAs!

-Will
    Last edited by xwillybabyx; 05-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Please use your search feature.

A) This thread is posted at least 2 times a week in this forum alone.

B) This is a suggestion, for the suggestion forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Not a bad idea, would depend on implementation but more to "strive" for is always better imo
    "I can tell you what you absolutely canít do, is go out and read the forums and just look for pure volume of screaming and you canít look for ultimatums and you canít look for those kinds of things."
    - Scott Hartsman

Rift Chaser

FF11 also had that implemented in the game,It was call merits points making it awsome to get to max level then get points to spend on ability and making yourself more powerfull.

As was posted above..this is not a new topic.
    You also glossed over the you must have XXX AA points to join this raid etcetc its yet another tool of division that sounds good on paper but ultimately leads to a huge gap between players. There is a reason it isn't an idea seriously considered in modern MMO's once the long term results are thought threw.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Soulwalker

I am all for AAs... One thing to remember though Talents/feats are pretty much the same thing as AAs its you just get them as you level.

I think slowing down XP gain, implementing an XP slider for AAs overall would help the game life overall.
    I wouldnt start AAs untill higher level (after first expansion)

Maybe for higher level (post expansion) they could add Prestige Classes. That would require Certain AAs to attain. These Prestige Classes would give new Prestige only feats for their soul.

Ascendant

Never played EQ, is this similar ( or the same ) to Age of Conan's AA system?

It was decent imho.
    The idea was decent, not the implementation tho. It was glitchy and exploitable, and people could farm AA's 50x faster than they were supposed to, stuff like that. Oh and you had PVE AA and PVP AA, but to get PVP AA you had to pve ( farm rocks with rare PVP).

But the overall idea was decent. If they were to do something like that in Rift, I hope that
    1) It'll not be exploitable ( once someone figure it out, everyone use it and it's too late )
    and
    2) If there's PVP AA's, I hope we'll get them... doing... ya know... PVP.

Plane Touched

Default wtf

is AA.. a well made post would have actually stated WHAT THE PEREGRIN TOOK you were talking about.

Sounds like the PvP grind for prestige so you can spec up the tree.

Telaran

Age Of Conan has this system recently implemented with their Khitai expansion. It only take a year or two to grind out - have fun!

What the heck is an AA?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by atuerstar View Post
    Age Of Conan has this system recently implemented with their Khitai expansion. It only take a year or two to grind out - have fun!
    The fact that AoC made it take 2 years to grind doesn't mean all MMO's will and should do the same?

And for people who don't know at all...
    Well, as said in my previous post, I didn't play EQ, but in AoC ( I'd assume it's the same ), when you get to max level you have 2 new "trees".

You get PVE XP to fill the PVP tree ( I don't remember what they were called ) and PVP XP to fill up the PVP tree.

You can fill up the entire tree ( given enough time ), some of these are super basic things, like 5 points in "+1% resistance to death magic", stuff like that... You can get all of those.
    And there was also some choices to be made.

There was 3 tiers of skills IIRC.
    In the first and second tiers, there was 6 ( per tier ) minor abilities. You can train all 6 of them, but you can only use 2 at the same time. So if you're not gonna fill the tree fast enough, you have to choose the 2 you really want to train first.

Then in the 3rd tier, there's 3 major abilities, and 4 minor abilities.
    Again you can train them all, but you need to choose to use either 1 of the major abilities, or 2 of the minor abilities.
    You can change at will tho. Like the soul system I guess.

Thinking about it, I don't know if it would be needed in a game like Rift where there's already a complex soul system we can change at will.

But, on the good side, it gave people something to do at 50, beside "getting rolled 50 times in a row by the same premade" and "running the same instance 50 times in a row".

Some solo content too, which is great. 99% of endgame content is multiplayer content. It's logical, as it's an MMOrpg, but some people still play those solo, and they don't have much to do at 50.

Ascendant

I'm for it in principle but there are other considerations.

For one thing, in PVe, where the game encounters are balanced for the game it is now, it would make most of the game way too easy for me.

As it is now, at level 50, there are very few areas I feel danger. This is because I'm geared up for T1s already. In a sense gear grind has replaced this.

I would rather have AAs than gear grind, though. But as the game is now balanced this way, giving me more wouldn't be the game better for me.

Oh it would be cool to stand against 87 million invasions without dying, but as it stands now, I don't know that I want to the game to be any easier...for me.

The other thing is, in the last game I played, I left because it got too easy. The challenge was gone. No doubt this will happen in all games, if you play them enough, learn the encounters, learn how to handle them, etc.

But still, if they did this, they'd have to make encounters harder, or open up harder zones, because other wise, it would probably break the game for me.

Telaran

AA = Alternate Advancement

It's basically a way to level up talent points once you are at cap and is used when a game gets expansion content balanced for it.

Has pro's and cons. The good side is you get to continue that level up feeling when at cap, the bad side is balancing issues especially in PvP when new lvl 50's would face an even more lopsided grind against geared and maxed AA'd players. Not a fun experience.

Another thing for bads to cry about. "How am I supposed to have fun when I have to grind out these AA's, this is for hardcore players only, I only have 30 seconds to play a day, I want it easymode and I want it NOW!"
    Last edited by MopDaddy; 05-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast