+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Balancing is Overcompensating

Soulwalker

Default Rift Balancing is Overcompensating

I haven't been playing this game for all too long, so it's not like I have experience in the later game with this system, and how it applies then, but from what I've seen in the early game, the buff that enemies get when there are a large number of players around (the name of which I don't remember) is overcompensating entirely for the amount of players actually present.

Say in a normal rift, you have 5 players or so, that's about what I see on average. With this number of players, assuming they are level appropriate, it is fairly easy to kill everything in time, before the counter runs out, and reach stage 5 of the rift.

Now take the same rift, and have about 30 players there, which is what I experienced today. The balance buff on the enemies goes up to 20, which gives an enemy that usually has maybe 1k HP, 35k, as well as a massive defense boost from what I could tell. (Their offense seems unaffected, though) I could see the purpose of this, to make it so that a group of 30+ players wouldn't be able to easily walk over rifts and just collect all the planarite they wanted without any trouble, but at the same time, not only is the same thing possible just using a smaller group of, say, level 50s in a low level zone (making the attempted balance not really work anyway), but the buff actually unbalances it completely.

In the group of 30 I mentioned, the players were completely unable to kill the enemies in time to get past round 4, and, beyond that, it took a good 15 minutes to kill a wave of enemies that should only take about 2-3 minutes, tops, with a weak group.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Make the bonus stage timer go up proportionate to the number of "balance" buffs on the enemies.

2) Decrease the stack total from 20 to, say, 10. Maybe that way it wouldn't be completely impossible to kill them in time, however, if you had a group of only exactly enough size to give them a stack of 10, it may still be near impossible for that group to kill them off before the timer runs out.

3) Remove the system entirely. Sure, it's a nice little feature to keep the game challenging even in large numbers, but it's not just keeping it challenging, it's making it impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessEntropy View Post
    I haven't been playing this game for all too long, so it's not like I have experience in the later game with this system, and how it applies then, but from what I've seen in the early game, the buff that enemies get when there are a large number of players around (the name of which I don't remember) is overcompensating entirely for the amount of players actually present.
    I suppose that might be an issue, somewhere, but I've never seen it be an issue that has prevented a raid-sized group from sealing a rift. Not in the early levels, not at level 50.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aumvaar View Post
    I suppose that might be an issue, somewhere, but I've never seen it be an issue that has prevented a raid-sized group from sealing a rift. Not in the early levels, not at level 50.
    I'm not saying that it's preventing groups from closing the rift, simply that it's preventing them from reaching the bonus stage of the rift, and making it take much LONGER to close the rift, rather than making it take an equal amount of time, as it should. The point of a balance is to make the dynamic the same, even when there is a much larger number of players, but this is overbalancing, and thus making it different.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessEntropy View Post
    I'm not saying that it's preventing groups from closing the rift, simply that it's preventing them from reaching the bonus stage of the rift
    I don't recall seeing that being a problem for large groups, either. In fact, my experience has been that the larger the raid group, the easier it is to reach the bonus stages.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Soulwalker

That only applies to a certain extent, before the buff gets too out of hand. I'm talking large in the way of 30+ people, that's when you get 20 stacks of the buff, and when it takes a good 5 minutes to kill a single mob. I've experienced it multiple times, now, too, so I know it wasn't just a fluke with that group or something.

+ Reply to Thread