+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I would ENJOY a Permanent Death server.

Soulwalker

Default I would ENJOY a Permanent Death server.

I know many people can not fathom a permanent death server, but there are many elite players who would greatly enjoy such a kind of server, definetly a pvp based. No transfer of already built toons to that server. Just raw toon builds.

I have experienced it in other games and it has greatly added a LOT of enjoyment to all things achieveable in the game. After all, what is there really to brag about when you are immortal? Immortal gaming plays like a sport. I would be quite excited and dedicated to a permanent death server. The guild comradery on those types of servers is astounding and the memories are a lot more meaningful.

For those of you who do NOT want a permanent death server, don't play on it. It is simple. Play whatever server you desire. I am just asking for another option. A single PvP Permanent Death Server.

Thanks Trion. I enjoy the game immensely.
    Last edited by Khanquer; 05-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.

I'm not going to lie, this kind of boggles my mind.
    ~~If you like to protect players, roll a tank. If you like doing damage, roll a dps. If you want the power to choose who lives and who dies, it's probably a good thing you're playing a video game.~~

Diablo II : LOD had this.. They called it a "hardcore" server.

I see one problem: Everyone would roll Clerics.

<Addiction>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clarion - 50 Warrior (PVE) | Yugoboom - 50 Rogue (PVP)

I'd love a perma death server.

There have been quite a few threads on this kind of thing, however the way you've put it has made it sound far more interesting.
    "Ah could blow both yer nuts right awf using n'more than this 'ere spoon and a piece o' sweetcorn, aye."
    Keen-Eye Bill, leader of <Culinary Six-Shooter Extraordinaire's Swish 'n' Swanky Super-Spiffing Members-Only Club>
    Impeccable aim, and an all-round impressive bloke.

The great thing is, you'd only actually need to implement Terminus and Mathosia.

Seriously, think this through. Imagine that you engage in five fights. Your chances of surviving are about 1/32. If they're higher, that's because someone else's are lower -- the average chance across all players has to stay 50%.

If you win all your fights, there's no one for you to fight, because everyone else died and had to reroll. If you ever lose, you reroll and redo the first few levels from scratch.

I don't honestly believe that this is a viable thing in a game where PvP is designed in as a goal. Either there'd be almost no PvP or there'd be almost no characters outside the starting areas.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I doubt Trion will make a PD server for all 9 players who want it.

The call for such a thing is so dang low it will not happen. I would be surprised if enough people would play on a PD server to even pay for its hardware and software maintenance. It would be more than 9 but not a significant enough number to warrant the financial investment and continued expenditure.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    I doubt Trion will make a PD server for all 9 players who want it.

The call for such a thing is so dang low it will not happen. I would be surprised if enough people would play on a PD server to even pay for its hardware and software maintenance. It would be more than 9 but not a significant enough number to warrant the financial investment and continued expenditure.
    People would check it out and use it more like they use a first person shooter. Nobody would play it as a permanent server though.
    Verodio 60 rogue
    Arcaria 60 mage
    Ciren 56 Cleric
    Drow Organization

Rift Disciple

/agree

I think I hold the record for deaths in a day.
    Im making the healers a hell of a fortune thanks to rando aggro bugs, lag spikes and just being in terribad groups.

Bring on the perma death server i say AND fix the lfg tool plz

Soulwalker

Default Rock On.

I would play it as my main server, as a warrior tank, for sure. Achievements on this server would be more meaningful and people would group up more.

I have spoken to and played with a plethora of other elite players who would enjoy such a server. Hundreds of thousands of people play dice and paper and those are generally permanent death RPGs. There is something profound and meaningful when you obtain something epic on a permanent death server. People really have to work together more, crafters are more valued, potions are used more, scrolls have a huge value, everything becomes more meaningful.

Veteran MMO players don't even shrug when someone brags about obtaining a server first or a rare item. After all, our characters are immortal. Now obtain that same epic item/feat/quest on a permanent death server and there will be 'thank yous' going around through a guild(s) and people will have real gratification.

MMOs have been around well over a decade. There is an elite player population in the millions out there that is growing. A population of experienced MMO gamers looking for such a challenge and adventure.

I read above a reminder that threads like this have existed on many other MMO forums. Will RIFT try a test out of a permanent death server? This is a suggestion thread and I have made a suggestion of something that would be of meaning to me if implemented. I would even pay five bucks per month more just to experience this.

I also read above someone claim that everyone would play a cleric. I wouldn't. Im a warrior tank type player. I would so much more enjoy protecting players' lives as their warrior tank. What adventure! I mean, just imagine! You are a tank or a mage or a rogue and people like hanging with you because you know your class and you play your toon well. If you do not like such a server idea, play the server of your choice. Choices in life are wonderful.

It definetly is not a server for newer to MMO players. A server of this magnitude would be home to Heroes and Villains, all of which would have a virtual reputation to gain or lose. It is the adventurous challenge and comradery we seek in an MMO and our basic immortality only serve us those in small portions.
    Last edited by Khanquer; 05-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Aside from the fact that it goes against the lore of the game, I dont think that many people would enjoy this type of server. Something tells me its population would be around 100 or less. Maybe 200. On top of that I dont think many people would use it as their main server. Sorry but I just dont see this ever happening.
    "Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

This kind of server would have zero pvp outside of ganking, and would have a zero risk playstyle for every other aspect of the game.

"LF tank and 3 healers for Silverwood zone quests. I got DPS."

That sounds like fun...

Atleast the OP didn't try to pretend that it would be a "hardcore" server this time, like pretty much every other thread asking for this.

Taking risks -and occaisionally dying as a result- is part of the game.

Buuuuuuuut this kinda server would be a GREAT trash-bin to send elitist pricks to, and would be an absolute magnet to griefers, which would clean up a lot of the existing communities. So in light of that utility, /signed.
    Last edited by Haliaeetus; 05-28-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

Default Play an Un-Ascended

I don't think a dedicated shard is needed, but I would love to have an option at character creation to play an "un-ascended" character. What is the difference between an ascended and an un-ascended?
    1. You only have one soul, that's right.. one soul. Choose carefully.
    2. If you die, there is no respawning, you must rely on a character that can resurrect you.
    Last edited by Elth; 05-29-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I don't think a dedicated shard is needed, but I would love to have an option at character creation to play an "un-ascended" character. What is the difference between an ascended and an un-ascended?
    1. You only have one soul, that's right.. one soul. Choose carefully.
    2. If you die, there is no respawning, you must rely on a character that can resurrect you.
    Something like this might be nifty but it is still problematic. It could increase the calls for balancing souls and would actually change the play dynamic in a way that would be detrimental for ascended characters. Now, if they were to do this as an aspect of free trials, that could be really cool.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

I don't care as I'd never touch it, but I cannot see this working in any feasible way given how Rift is designed. You can't do decent perma-death in as static a system as Rift's linear, gear based mechanics and the significance of character ability over player skill.

Can you imagine when one side gets a larger swath of 50s? No one'd leave Stonefield or Gloamwood alive, depending on which side lost the race to the top, then everyone would only roll the winning side and PvP would die into nothing.
    An Experiment In Design - Deioth's Warrior Soul Revamps - More In The Works
    Beastmaster - Paragon - Warlord Coming Soon

Please Click, Read, And Respond! Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast