+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I would ENJOY a Permanent Death server.

IMO, if you're not occasionally dying, then you're not really playing the game. A permadeath server would thus encourage people to not actually play, which would be counter-productive to the concept of playing a game.

As others have said: if you die, delete your character. There's your "permadeath." I'm betting that not a single one of the people posting in favor of this server have ever imposed permadeath upon themselves, so I'm not sure why they think their advocacy of a permadeath server should be taken seriously.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

It could be fun when taking a break from main characters.

Oh please Trion. Give us a Perma Death Server.

PvE only.

LOL
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

As the black sheep of MMORPG ideas, the concept of permadeath has been around forever, but has never been correctly implemented for fear of tremendous backlash from the community. There will always be a separation of the fan base between those that agree and disagree, so instead of just picking one or the other, more developers need to figure out ways to allow everyone to co-exist.

By that, I mean allow them choices, not restrictions. Just like real life, an MMORPG should be a game of give-and-take. In order to become the greatest hero, and thus earn the highest glory, you must be willing to undertake the most daunting challenges with the direst consequences:

"Warning undertaking this dauntless task may result in the permenant loss of your character, however surviving the task will grant you glory and one of a kind gear, that will be the envy of all."
    Last edited by Xanadu; 05-31-2011 at 11:11 AM.

IMO, if you're not occasionally dying, then you're not really playing the game. A permadeath server would thus encourage people to not actually play, which would be counter-productive to the concept of playing a game.
    You're absolutely right in a sense, but if it were an option that could be added without much hassle, who cares? That's how I feel about most things now - if it pleases some people and doesn't affect people it would displease if forced upon, have at it!
    ((A gentleman never speaks out of bracket.))

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

I've been thinking of this, how it could possibly be incorporated while keeping frustration and sense of loss low...

Event servers - kill 2 birds with one stone!
    My thoughts: set aside the 2 lowest popn servers as temporary event servers. Migrate everyone off them to more populated ones - solves the low popn/server transfer problem without scaring the horses.

These 2 servers will then be used to hold special events which will feature permadeath - with a proviso. The toon you take onto the Event Server will be an exact copy of your chosen toon and when you die it is 'permadeath' for that event.

What happens on the server remains on the server (much like a copy of a toon on a public test shard) - with the exception of any special rewards, titles, participation achievements - these would be flagged on the account, and sent by mail to your main on its original server.

I haven't given much thought to the actual type of event (eg. all in carnage or something more structured), just a way to have it, with a type of permadeath, and persistent rewards.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanquer View Post
    I would ENJOY a Permanent Death server.
    I used to think I would too, but then again, I realized that I wouldn't the very first time I died because of no fault of my own because of the realities of it being a computer game.

Imagine plotting and planning and being very good, and getting up to level 15 or so with no deaths, then you lose power because a storm, or a router issue between your computer and the server, or any number of a million other things that are "beyond your control" and you die (not to mention just a game glitch, like falling through the world).

I bet like me, your tune would change.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Shield of Telara

Perma death might be awesome. I would play it. Not sure how far I could make it, but it would be an edge of the seat experience I can promise that.

I know its a softer idea, so excuse me for my weakness. But how about a once a week rez server?

Quote Originally Posted by LaefChaosblade View Post
    You're absolutely right in a sense, but if it were an option that could be added without much hassle, who cares? That's how I feel about most things now - if it pleases some people and doesn't affect people it would displease if forced upon, have at it!
    I don't care if Trion implements such a server or not; whether it does or not was not my point.

My point is that I don't believe any of the people talking this up. I think they're all talk, & I don't take them the least bit seriously.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

I know many people can not fathom a permanent death server, but there are many elite players who would greatly enjoy such a kind of server, definetly a pvp based. No transfer of already built toons to that server. Just raw toon builds.

I have experienced it in other games and it has greatly added a LOT of enjoyment to all things achieveable in the game. After all, what is there really to brag about when you are immortal? Immortal gaming plays like a sport. I would be quite excited and dedicated to a permanent death server. The guild comradery on those types of servers is astounding and the memories are a lot more meaningful.

For those of you who do NOT want a permanent death server, don't play on it. It is simple. Play whatever server you desire. I am just asking for another option. A single PvP Permanent Death Server.

Thanks Trion. I enjoy the game immensely.
    What would happen to all of the resurrection skills?

If it was my choice, I would change them into a 100% damage reflect that lasts 10 seconds on a 30 second cool down.

If a reflected damage is reflected back it breaks and nobody takes any damage.
    Last edited by Delphya; 05-31-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Quote Originally Posted by Aumvaar View Post
    I don't care if Trion implements such a server or not; whether it does or not was not my point.

My point is that I don't believe any of the people talking this up. I think they're all talk, & I don't take them the least bit seriously.
    Anf if they are serious, they are suffering from a lack of perspective. When they ask for it, they just think about the twisted pleasure it would give them to gank to oblivion another player's beloved level 50 toon. They just don't see that same thing happening to themselves...

... I have spoken to and played with a plethora of other elite players who would enjoy such a server.
    That "other" is priceless. He doesn't risk hiding that he is a self-styled elite player. The Devil is in details.

Soulwalker

a shard like this would be truly so much fun!

here's the real shocker though, brace yourself:

Dwarf racial becomes useful

Champion

As there are to be server transfers, one of the shards can be designated for Permanent Death. And all spammers could be auto-transferred there.

As long as I can send certain people with their characters to that server I'd be all for it!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3