+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Much Needed Changes to the Floating Combat Text

Rift Disciple

Default Much Needed Changes to the Floating Combat Text

Alright I will keep this short and sweet. I have already posted these ideas with the in game feedback, but as I have no idea if anyone is actually reading them I though I shall post it here as well.

I believe the floating combat text needs a 100% complete redesign.

First off, it is VERY small font. Coming from other games in which the combat text is large and in your face, it is very unsettling to see a game in which it is so small. Honestly, the easiest way to make a game more epic is to give your characters BIG NUMBERS (visually big, not numerically big). Honestly, just based off the size of my floating damage numbers, it makes everything I'm doing seem dismal and small, even when the numbers themselves are proportionally numerically big.

Second, it seems as if the combat text solely appears above the enemies head....nothing more nothing less. And, as this is good is most circumstances, it is absolutely horrid when you have a gigantic boss that fills up your entire screen. If you are a tank or melee dps, you cannot see at all the damage you are doing unless you angle your camera straight up and then 'maybe' you could catch a glimpse.
    My solution to this is simple, keep the damage numbers appearing how they do for the majority of situations, BUT create a conditional system in which the numbers cannot appear off of the screen (or must always appear on the screen). That way, in a scenario where the numbers would have been out of the players frame because of the height of a boss, they just appear at the top of the frame. Or, if a player is facing away from the mob for a few seconds, he can still see his damage on the side of the screen.

TLDR:
    1) Make the floating text a larger font size, as to make what we are doing more epic rather than dismal
    2) Put conditions in to make sure the floating text does not appear off of the player screen in situations where the boss is super tall or you are facing in a different degree.

Rift Disciple

Also, I do not know if this has been addressed since beta when I last played a healer, but when I was healing on my cleric I noticed that green healing numbers would only appear if the target being healed was below 100% health. This means, that if I throw out a heal on a person at 100% I do not see green numbers, and/or if I throw out an aoe heal that hits 5 targets, and only 2 have below 100% health I only see two green numbers.

While this is arguably a bad thing, and some of you may 'claim' that it is good blah blah, it is very bad as a healer to not see the green numbers because it makes me at least think that my heal did not go through, or that he has some debuff that is making him immune to heals. I, personally, do not see a reason in which heals (even over heals) in any circumstance should not get floating numbers.

Healers love to feel epic as well, and that means seeing green and lots of it. Don't take their epic-ness away.

One of the many, many, many functions that could be achieved via addon.

Trion, it's time.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

it's true, but it should take an addon to fix something as trivial as the floating combat text ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by brittyboi View Post
    it's true, but it should take an addon to fix something as trivial as the floating combat text ;-)
    It's all a matter of preference. It's not reasonable to expect Trion to build a custom UI for every player (not saying you do or anything, but some of the posters on this forum... different story). Instead, we should be asking for Trion to allow us to build our own.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

Yup, I totally agree about that and UI mods. But this thread isn't about UI mods, it's about the terrible floating combat text in the game right now, and it really is up to Trion to fix this issue.

If you want your game to be epic, and the players to feel epic while playing, a simple step towards this is by improving upon and fixing the combat text

Add-ons are not the answer to everything, especially not things that can be addressed in the actual game code. Oh, wait, everything can be addressed in the game code. Hence, no need for add-ons which is probably the reason Trion wants to make the "add-ons" instead of people from outside the dev staff.

OP, I agree that the floating text could use a bit of improvement.
    Last edited by Ayenn; 05-28-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Rift Master

Floating Combat Text additions yes

Addons no.

Shadowlander

Trion can always limit what Addons are allowed to be used.

If blizzard can Trion can do it better. i.e. Coin Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    Add-ons are not the answer to everything, especially not things that can be addressed in the actual game code. Oh, wait, everything can be addressed in the game code. Hence, no need for add-ons which is probably the reason Trion wants to make the "add-ons" instead of people from outside the dev staff.
    No no, not the answer to everything; just the answer to UI related requests, which probably account for about a third of the threads in this forum.

Lets use a simple analogy. You are tasked with painting 100 yards of fence:

Do you go to the store and buy one ounce of paint; go to the fence and paint one panel; return to the store for another ounce of paint; return to the fence to paint a second panel; and repeat until all 100 yards are covered?

Or, do you buy 5+ gallons of paint and a sprayer/roller and do the entire fence in one go?

Floating Text = one panel of fence.
    Enabling Addons = 5+ gallons of paint and a sprayer/roller.

Can it be done using in game code? Absolutely. Just as the hundred yards of fence can be painted one ounce at a time. Why do you advocate for such utter inefficiency?
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

Yes while an addon might be able to change the look and size of the floating combat text, I do not necessarily think that it should need to be an addon to fix it. The floating text is very bad, and it is one thing in which people see when making a first impression of this game. While they could just leave it up to an addon to fix it, it won't help the fact that it is an issue that needs to get fixed and most trial users are not going to jump to an addon to fix an issue on a game they are still on the fence about buying.

And that only deals with the look and feal, not necessarily the fact that the text more often than not appears off the screen, and that the green healing numbers do not appear for over-heals. Those are things that I believe trion needs to fix

Rift Disciple

Also, while MOST of these issues CAN be fixed by the simple use of addons and a passionate author, it doesn't change the fact that Trion should hear about these issues, and if Trion wishes to put their own fix in AS WELL as adding in the use of addons, then that is just a double win.

I see your advocation of addons as a growing excuse for Trion to no longer care about their game. If addon's can just fix everything, why try to make any of their stock things better? I believe this train of thought is what lead to the stagnation of WoW, and though I love addons, it does not let Trion off the hook to fix their own game where it needs it. And I believe the floating combat text needs a serious fix.

eh, sorry brit. Didn't mean to turn your thread into an argument about addons.

/signed for floating text size control and the ability to monitor things like overhealing - via addon or trion.
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

lol it's ok. I understand how passionate everyone is about their gaming experience. There are a lot of things I would like to see fixed/changed, and this is definitely one of them.

This game has hit soo many things perfectly on the head, but has, in my opinion, completely missed the net of a bunch of other things. I am most definitely giving this game the benefit of the doubt until GW2, but it really needs to step up and address some of these things. Because, while they are focusing on the major issues, a bunch of minor issues can still make or break the game.

Shadowlander

On my screen the floating combat text is actually rather large, but I WAS surprised to find that I couldn't alter the font size of it myself. A lot of the stuff that I expect to be in the options, isnt.

/signed I agree it should at least be more customizable.

Also, It's dumb that Trion won't allow UI-based Add-ons. They have no affect on gameplay other than allowing us to customize what we want on our UI. And no, it's not something Trion can fix in their game code, some people like the default UI, personally I think it is absolutely horrendous. Something that is so reliant on personal opinion should be customizable.

/endrant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast