+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing ..... Item Decay to RIFT

Soulwalker

Thumbs up Introducing ..... Item Decay to RIFT

1. Item Decay

Item Decay : Weapons, Armor, and Accessories will slowly decay and will eventually become un-usable if item is not mantained or neglected. This could be activated in different ways, either by ammount of time the item is worn, every time player is killed, or other formula.

My idea is to implement a durability level to every item and link it with the crafter's skill level, or in cases of items quired from quests or vendors a pre-set level could be used that is relative to its value.

Repairs or manteinance can be done from players that have the respective professions of the item that wants to be repaired, or from an NPC for a premium.

Possible Benefits:
    Will induce a better player based economy.
    Will give different professions more opportunities to sell/repair.
    Will provide more player to player interactions. (Through repairs/mantainace to items among players)

Possible Disadvantages:
    If not done properly it could could become an annoyance.

What do you think ?... 1,2,3 Go

No

We already have to heal when we die. I think that's good enough.

Introducing something like this post launch is just silly and potentially suicidal. In Rift, due to the rest of the game design, item decay simply does not fit. To have item decay actually work well much of the game would have to be redesigned to accommodate that mechanic. In the end it would be virtually the same but with that instead of, say, soul damage.

There is no need for this.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Atreidi View Post
    1. Item Decay
    My idea is to implement a durability level to every item and link it with the crafter's skill level, or in cases of items quired from quests or vendors a pre-set level could be used that is relative to its value.

Repairs or manteinance can be done from players that have the respective professions of the item that wants to be repaired, or from an NPC for a premium.

Possible Benefits:
    Will induce a better player based economy.
    Will give different professions more opportunities to sell/repair.
    Will provide more player to player interactions. (Through repairs/mantainace to items among players)
    What do I think?

FFXIV is that way. ------------->

I agree that this isn't a change that you make after a game's already been designed and launched. If they had started with item decay, that's one thing but you're talking about a lot of work to change a system that isn't broken.
    Verodio 60 rogue
    Arcaria 60 mage
    Ciren 56 Cleric
    Drow Organization

Rift Disciple

No, no, no, no, no

Did I mention, no?

Soulwalker

I remember playing Vanguard and they implemented item durability after release and while that was not the reason why Vanguard is a failure, since there were so many other things wrong with that game, it made a lot of people unhappy at first. The anger over item durability soon went away when it was clear to most that it was a must for the game if their crafting professions were ever going to be successful. As for Rift there is no need for item durability since crafting is not a true "profession" like it was in Vanguard. It would simply be a money sink if implemented. I think it would cause many people to insta-quit (not me though). That is just my take.
    Last edited by Chiwa; 05-28-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Telaran

Please no, grinding gold to repair our stuff is not only painfulf but giving even more excuses to players to buy in game currency leading to this Chinese prisoners allegedly forced to play 'World of Warcraft'

+ Reply to Thread