+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM Controlled Epic Raid/Rift Mobs

Shield of Telara

Default GM Controlled Epic Raid/Rift Mobs

In the 12 years that I have been playing MMO's, I have always dreampt about something like this.

What if every so often, an Epic Raid NPC was spawned on the world that did not follow an AI script.

What if that nasty epic mob was controlled by a living, breathing player (GM) ignored the normal rules of engagement, and adapted to the players trying to defeat it.

A Super Mob if you will, spawning adds with no pre demined health % or timer. A mob that uses special abilities when it sees fit, changing from time to time. An intelligent mob that won't stand around and let tanks hold aggro, and be chain healed over and over.

A mob that nobody has a plan for, and every move must be adapted to on the fly.

I think this would be an awesome experience if it were done with planning, an event - That entire shards rallied behind.

Make them rare, I understand. There are alot of servers and only so many Trion employees. But every now and then, something like this would feel Truly EPIC.

Especially if GM were talking smack while whooping everyones butt!
    Last edited by Landvia; 05-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.

/signed
    That might mix things up a bit, kudos and props for having a creative suggestion.

I'd like to chime in that if the GM were playing competitively with the soul intention of killing everyone it might not work because he's just ignore tanks and go for casters and healers to wipe the group, but if he steered the monster with /rw styled emoting and controlled the abilities and made it do interesting things a standard mob wouldn't do, that would be cool. I could see a GM taking the wheels of a huge lumbering monster and making it do some interesting things.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nerus View Post
    I'd like to chime in that if the GM were playing competitively with the soul intention of killing everyone it might not work because he's just ignore tanks and go for casters and healers to wipe the group, but if he steered the monster with /rw styled emoting and controlled the abilities and made it do interesting things a standard mob wouldn't do, that would be cool. I could see a GM taking the wheels of a huge lumbering monster and making it do some interesting things.
    yeah, but if wanted to chase healers, healers could run and kite, while DPS beat him on the run. Thats what I mean. He would switch tactics. If he found he was taking a beating from being kited by ranged dps, then he would turn to them, and healers would return to heal. If tanks were forcing his targets to be switched far too often with taunts, maybe it would be best to eliminate them first.

Random tactics. Never the same 2x. Every server would have a different story on how they succeeded, or how they failed.

Rift Disciple

Default yes I have thought of GM controlled raids

Honestly I would pay extra to be in a professionally run guild! Unfortunately, many people start a guild up, but simply don't have the people management skills, experience or time to really make it successful - long term. I have often thought it would be great to have gms running a few raids.

+ Reply to Thread