+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Content - Quests to Obtain a Modified Class Pet

Shadowlander

Lightbulb New Content - Quests to Obtain a Modified Class Pet

I have an idea that has to do with pets, not companions.

I get tired of everyone having the same exact looking pet, its akin to every lvl 31 and above player as a cookie-cutter rogue, mage, warrior or cleric, all having the same exact armor and appearance, as every other person with their same role.

I have a few ideas that would allow us to either simply cosmetically change the appearance of our pet, or more importantly give them some slight alterations in damage mitigation, skills, and even emotes for fun.

I want these new changes to be a permanent pet summoning skill ability. So each time you summon your pet, you get these new changes to your pet. Where these new pets come from I'm not sure, since this is all being done on the fly, from an idea I had last week. Whether it's for lvl 50+ or not? <shrug>

One simple idea for the lower level players was a dropped item that offers to teach your pet a new emote, like a dance emote, which pets will perform whenever their owner does /dance.

Another simple idea were appearance changes. Just a cosmetic change, to make my pet cat into a panther, orange/black or white tiger, or even a calico cat that has certain parts of its fur that we can permanently apply dyes or patterns to, and for mages a flaming whirlwind, snowy rock elemental.

There are a couple ways to handle these. One way is a rare drop that starts a follow-on class quest chain, that rewards you with a new class appropriate pet at the conclusion of the quest. Another way is simply a rare drop that gives you a right-clickable, item which allows you to gain the new pet.

A simple rare item drop that gives you the new skill seems like a waste of opportunity for new fun. But a rare drop off a boss in a dungeon, or rift or invasion Boss, these sounds interesting to me.

I then started to think of more useful pet changes to add higher level content.

One thought is that these quests might involve acquiring a fire or air pet that normally inhabits another plane of existence. This quest would involve opening a raid rift, that will eventually summon fourth a rift boss with his pet or guardian. At the end of the rift you loot your prize.

Another quest may involve capturing the pet or guardian that belongs to a dungeon boss, In essence, acquiring a rare hybrid pet. This type of quest would involve opening a new section in a dungeon, to add content to a dungeon that we have all done 10 times already.

Getting your pet by opening a rift or from an expert dungeon, would gain a unique pet with new combat or defensive capabilities. This new pet may have a slightly altered appearance, aura or some inherent resistances, or new skills and/or improved skills.

Don't these ideas sound cool?
    Last edited by Grimalken; 05-27-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Shadowlander

I've played this game since it came out, and have level 50 characters, and see this as a way to add some fun and new content.

Shadowlander

I tend to want to get away from endless farming of mobs to get the quest drop item, like endlessly farming raptors in Shimmersand, just to get a rare quest item to drop for a new raptor pet.

Shadowlander

I was talking about this to my guild, and these pets would not replace the current pets like the Blood Raptor or Greater Dire Wolf, its just that when you gain one of these improved pets, the normal version and the new version will appear in your skills. So unless you place 31 points into ranger, and get the summon raptor skill, you will not have access to the altered version of the pet.
    Last edited by Grimalken; 05-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.

I'd prefer to just be able to tame them. There are plenty of models already in game for the various species we use as pets, just let us use those.

however, /signed for anything that basically yield the same results.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

Let us tame new pets ffs.

Eh I could see a recoloring being feasible somehow, but a new model seems a bit much. There arent many models in game in the first place. Chances are this would require several brand new models. A recoloring though would be much welcomed.
    "Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

+ Reply to Thread