+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Five Improvements That Could Save Rift...

Default Five Improvements That Could Save Rift...

From Not Becoming Beyong Amazing.

Warning: I'm level 20 on my main, so I have been playing not that long. If you need to leave this thread, do it now, but do not come in here and say, "u no nuttin', lvl 20 nub." Please and thanks.

1. Add more WFs

Four? Couldn't hurt to have one or two more, unless you force vehicles on the playerbase. Here's a suggestion:

I love invasions, and I love rifts. I think they're a big draw to the game, so why not capitalize on them in PvP? The name is irrelevant to me; you'll think of one. So let's call it "Wardstone."

WARDSTONE (format shamelessly stolen from here)

Maximum team size

Minimum player level

Victory condition
    Destroy the wardstone within 10 minutes. If you fail, you must defend your wardstone for 10 minutes to get a draw. The team to destroy the enemy wardstone (visually tailored to suit the faction) in the shortest amount of time is declared the victor.

Further Details
    There are three objects that when captured (cast time) give the defense a "Wardstone takes 15% less damage" advantage per object captured and the offense a "Wardstone takes 15% more damage" advantage per object controlled. They start out uncontrolled. This will keep defense from turtling every match, and it requires teams to decide whether or not it's worth it to split up their force.

In addition, spawn, gy and wardstone locations are random. Who is on offense first? Random. This could be an incredibly edgy WF for people looking for something less static. In other words, it could be something that fits very well with other alluring aspects of Rift.

Lore
    I'll leave it up to you, but I imagine Guardians wouldn't be too opposed to destroying an engineered wardstone and that Defiants wouldn't be too opposed to destroying a hallowed wardstone.

Edit:

As I made a mistake, this will be one at a time. Ah, the joys of being unable to edit later!

Last edited by Odamir; 05-27-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Mistake.
    ((A gentleman never speaks out of bracket.))

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

About "Wardstone," the defenders always spawn by the wardstone. That's something I wish I could edit back in. Alas, I must move forward.

2. Add Secondary Professions

These are fun (not required) things to do - fishing, cooking, and the usual. But...why do only the usual? Here's a wild suggestion:

Fashion Designer

This person gets one wardrobe slot as something they can use just like any other slot, except they can click a button named "Design." When that's clicked that wardrobe is put into an icon that goes into their bag. They've created an outfit, you see. When people check it on the AH, they can see how it looks on them. If they want, they can buy it and put it in a wardrobe slot.

Sure, people can make their own outfits, but so can we in RL. Do we? Usually not. Some people enjoy buying clothes that other people make, and some people are quite good at designing clothing. If this seems too narrow for a secondary profession, feel free to either expand upon it or add it to Outfitting. It's just a sub suggestion. The main point is that you should add fluff or fun professions in the future.
    Last edited by Odamir; 05-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

3. Increase Environment interactivity

What does that mean? It could mean a lot, but what I mean is have some options for people to feel they're more a part of the virtual world you've created. There are plenty of ways you could do this.

Open Doors

Simply open more doors to buildings. Let people go in, sit in a chair, and have a drink. It's not a lot, but I know people back in WoW (RPers) who would do that stuff for a long time. After a battle or whatever, they would just chill. Maybe they'd have a meeting, you know? I did it plenty, too. I must admit that it can be fun/relaxing.

Housing

You've heard it all about housing, so you know what's up there. I'll say that if you're going to do it, figure out a way to limit it enough (high prices won't do it) that it can stay in the game. As in, I can knock on your door, and you can let me in without there being a loading screen. I know that's probably crazy hard to pull off, but if you make it all instanced...there's a chance the world will divide into too many small worlds. But again, you've heard about this, and I'm just saying, "Hey, this might help improve your world if done correctly."

Guild Halls

This, imo, is a good alternative to housing and simply opening doors; it could be less hardware intensive, while also helping people bond with guildmates. Here are a couple of examples of stuff the guild hall could include.

Message Boards:

Put three in each hall. One message per. The rule options are as follows: a) anyone can post b) people with MotD powers can post c) the guild leader chooses via the Rank section who can post. C is best, because it allows more freedom, but a or b would be fine. Think about it.

Porticulum Master:

Make a guild one, or make one near the guild, or make something in there function the same. People would love recalling to their own guild. Think about how often this would put people in contact with their guildmates.

Beds:

Have some bunks or a bunk. Make 'em restore Soul Vitality for free. It's not like people are always near cities, but if they wanted to Soul Recall to save dough, they'd have the option.
    Last edited by Odamir; 05-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.

General of Telara

these all fall in the category as nice to have, but not game breaking or game saving (not saying the game needs saving)

4. Post-50 Progression

I read some about EQ players wishing you could progress past 50. They don't mean level past 50. Instead, each bubble of xp would give one point that they could allocate to something. The only problem I had with what I read was that it was limitless. A guy could have 3,000 points allocated. You can't do that; people will run away if they realize it's mathematically impossible to equal their adversaries in power.

So how do you do it?

I think there should a possibility of gaining, say, up to 30 points. You could put those points in any of, say, 60 places. This would allow for customization and give people another reason to play after reaching cap. Now, some will point out that this could easily make a fresh 50 dead meat every time. True. And to help with that, you have three things you can do:

Make it hard

Make it hard enough that most people won't be a 30/30, so fresh 50s will be safe. Also, make it cost as much to reallocate one point as it does to gain one. Why not? It would keep it from becoming just another soul tree.

Make it fun and not OP

1-5% nature damage boost
    1-5% speed boost
    Special Mount (e.g., river boat)
    Special Bag (extra slots)
    Summonable Barber (others can use, but owner gets the money?)
    Etc.

So now you have people with bigger bags walking around faster and doing a bit more damage. Not too amazing, but who would turn it down? No one. At the same time, it wouldn't make it impossible to defeat such a person. Heck, maybe add a housing chain quest as an incredibly expensive option (one per account?). Sure would be incentive to keep playing.

I do think it's a good idea, but I realize it'd take a lot of work. Just another thing to think about.
    Last edited by Odamir; 05-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.

these all fall in the category as nice to have, but not game breaking or game saving (not saying the game needs saving)
    Of course! I'm not saving Rift; I'm saving Rift from not becoming beyond amazing. That's what I said in a gimmicky sort of way. Who wants changes that they are forced to accept? Not me. When WoW first implemented dailies, I said to my pals, "Why do I want a second job?". A little while later, I quit for over a year.

The more a game forces me to do things, the less likely I am to like it and to advocate it. Right now, I feel free in Rift. I'm level 20, and I like this game. If that changes, or I level up only to become a slave, then I won't speak as highly of it to everyone I know.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by LaefChaosblade View Post
    Of course! I'm not saving Rift; I'm saving Rift from not becoming beyond amazing. That's what I said in a gimmicky sort of way. Who wants changes that they are forced to accept? Not me. When WoW first implemented dailies, I said to my pals, "Why do I want a second job?". A little while later, I quit for over a year.

The more a game forces me to do things, the less likely I am to like it and to advocate it. Right now, I feel free in Rift. I'm level 20, and I like this game. If that changes, or I level up only to become a slave, then I won't speak as highly of it to everyone I know.
    Sorry, I didn't see the tongue tucked in your cheek.

I can only speak for myself but these suggestions add almost nothing to the game for me.

Game doesn't need saving. The vocal minority seems to have deemed the game a failure, but I still see tons of people of all levels on both of the servers I play on.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Quote Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
    Game doesn't need saving. The vocal minority seems to have deemed the game a failure, but I still see tons of people of all levels on both of the servers I play on.
    Read the first line besides the title of my post. See? I'm on your side. It was a gimmick just for fun. My suggestions, however, are not a joke. I'm typing up the fifth one now, but it's a bit complicated.

I can only speak for myself but these suggestions add almost nothing to the game for me.
    Secondary professions, more WFs, post-50 progression, and a more-interactive environment (the 4/5 I've listed) are of no interest to you? I find that surprising.

5. WPvP Zone

Let's keep it simple - this is a regular zone, except for a few major changes: 1) there are three towers granting PvP advantages 2) there is no PvP-off mode in this zone 3) every town and city can be captured by players. So how does this work?

Well, let's say it's the first day of this new zone. One side, randomly chosen, automatically controls every town and city ("outposts" if you prefer) - they can buy and sell and trade, and guards will defend them. Worry not; these guards do not respawn once killed, and the browbeaten civilians are not aggressive.

The other side automatically control the towers, which beyond terrain advantage, each grant 5% damage vs players and 5% damage reduction vs players. Notice that people who primarily PvE will have no interest in those buffs. That is intentional. Whenever the side starting with towers (the other side can take over these) destroys a wardstone, boss or simply outnumbers their adversaries for a certain period of time (your call on the capture method) in a city or town, that city or town switches sides. Guards friendly to them spawn, and the city is now theirs - they can buy, sell, trade, so on.

Besides the small cities and whatnot, there is a capital city, like Sanctum, that if overcome will immediately grant the overcomer control of every city and town on the map but not the towers; so if they control no towers but sack the capital city, they will control every city now but the towers remain in the hands of their enemies.

After this first day/minute, there is no more handing out of cities or towers; In other words, after the first day, everything (everything) depends on the players. For those familiar with TB and WG from WoW, note one major difference: no pressure on PvE players to participate; this area includes no quests other than the typical dailies, no special ore (though it does include ore), so on.

For those of you dying yet able to read at this point, do not give me "I want PvP quests, rewards, achieves, mounts, and everything else." No, you don't. If there is anything of value to a PvE player that he cannot obtain elsewhere (e.g., new quests), he will come and die. Fun? No. He will come and die, then he will get the zone nerfed. As long as this zone is totally optional, Trion can say, "Don't go there" without sounding mean. Once there's a real advantage to be found (not just "glory"), changes will be made.

So why go there?

For PvP action, obviously. You simply can't get that kind of action elsewhere in the game. Beyond that, if one side gives up, you now have your own region. You bled for it, man. It's yours, but you can't be lazy; if someone else wants it eventually, you have to get out there and fight for it, because guards are mortal here, pal - they can't save the day every time.

I hope this will interest a lot of people, but I suppose it's possible it would enrage everyone for some reason or another. That's it for my suggestions. Based on responses I've seen so far, people are not catching my facetiousness. I was probably better off keeping it simple. *sigh*
    Last edited by Odamir; 05-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by LaefChaosblade View Post
    Secondary professions, more WFs, post-50 progression, and a more-interactive environment (the 4/5 I've listed) are of no interest to you? I find that surprising.
    secondary professions.... no thx, been there done that, not worth my time, generally. Fishing in Wow for example.

more WF's... nope, rpg are supposed to be cooperative not fps

post 50 progression... only if you mean 50-60 progression. max level = game over, except for gear grind.

more interactive environment... has possibility, but I like the current environment, so don't see the change worth the effort.

just reread your more interactive environment... I have no need of a house, a bed or most of the rest.
    Last edited by elosrekat; 05-27-2011 at 11:52 AM.

secondary professions.... no thx, been there done that, not worth my time, generally. Fishing in Wow for example.
    As long as you're not opposed to the option, I won't despise you! =P

more WF's... nope, rpg are supposed to be cooperative not fps
    I'm not sure what this means, since WFs require cooperation.

post 50 progression... only if you mean 50-60 progression. max level = game over, except for gear grind.
    I'd prefer a character grind over a gear grind, but we're different people.

more interactive environment... has possibility, but I like the current environment, so don't see the change worth the effort.
    Can't think of a single improvement? Again, you wouldn't actually need to enter the houses...

just reread your more interactive environment... I have no need of a house, a bed or most of the rest.
    The bed served a purpose other than ERPing, and I think guild hall > house; nevertheless, these suggestions were aimed at helping Trion attract more people, so if you're already attracted, no harm done.

Have fun.

Rift Disciple

Default forget PVP

Be aware that probably more than 50% of players are pretty well totally uninterested in PVP, that's why there are so many PVE realms.

At this stage we need to improve the solo activites we can do at level 50, like collecting trade mats, more worthwhile crafting items and getting the economy to work a lot better

In Faction PvP

For PvP servers, let us go renegade and kill in faction at the cost of being locked out of our Faction controlled towns and being killable by everyone for the duration.

That would make things more interesting at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Topazfire View Post
    Be aware that probably more than 50% of players are pretty well totally uninterested in PVP, that's why there are so many PVE realms.
    50% of players? Really? Forget PvP? Trion was really boastful about their PvP, they failed hard to deliver anything new and interesting beyond the soul system, which is just a glorified way of selecting which abilities you can use. This game needs something new and interesting in terms of PvP, Trion's boasting pretty much demands it.

Also there are a ton of PvP gamers and if PvE people don't want to play the PvP content they don't have to but they should at least have the option to without changing shards. As long as it's entirely optional and their arm isn't twisted by quests or anything (keep non-pvp quests out of PvP zones) there's no reason to discourage adding the extra gameplay options.

Quote Originally Posted by Topazfire View Post
    At this stage we need to improve the solo activites we can do at level 50, like collecting trade mats, more worthwhile crafting items and getting the economy to work a lot better
    100% agreed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast