+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Character Faction/Race Change Idea/Discussion Thread ^^

Shadowlander

Default Character Faction/Race Change Idea/Discussion Thread ^^

I have started this thread to give voice and ideas, both for and against character faction/race changes.

I am hoping that this thread can be more than just an 'I want it' 'I hate it' thing instead lets use this to be a way to let Trion know where we, as a community, stand on this topic and even more importantly why!

With that I will start off with my feelings and ideas.

I would truly appretiate some form of faction/race change.

I have been with the game since launch. I rolled my first character, an Eth, Defiant, Cleric. I like many worked hard on my character, leveling her to 50, gearing her, earning faction rep and titles. I have met some great people along the way and have had lots of fun for the most part. For me things just weren't great though. One afternoon I decided to roll a Guardian, mainly to raze my guildmates as we are on a low Guardian pop pvp shard .

After getting to experience the Guardian faction for I while I realised I was having alot of fun and that I may have chosen the wrong faction to begin with. I was loving my wee Guardian dwarf. Since playing her I have met some great people and just joined a guild that I think is a really great fit for me. The only thing missing now though is my main character. I really enjoy playing her and I have all the titles unique to a character that has been around since launch, mind you there aren't alot but I like having them .

Now I am not a fan of the one button poof you're changed method. I absolutely hate those. I also don't agree with a faction/race change being allowed to occur with a shard transfer at all either. It just opens way to many avenues for abuse and exploitation. I would however support faction/race changes on the same shard the character resides on.

As to how to do it, I really love the idea of an epic quest line. It could begin from an npc, a random drop, a shrine/machine found in the appropriate factions zone etc. This quest then could be accepted or refused and if accepted it leads your character on a journey through the realization that their calling is truly elsewhere in this conflict. This quest string should be long and have a few options to opt out of it.

The quest could include:

*To become Defiant- Having to aquire soulstones from Guardian zones to help power some great Defiant machine that will launch the change process.
    *To become Guardian - Having to recover the precious soulstones from the Defiants twisted machines to prove to the Vigil your desire to be a strong element in the fight for Telara's future.

During the quest process I think the character should have an unchangeable title of 'Traitor of Truth' and if possible be made guildless and unable to party, private or public, with anyone from the faction they are leaving. Also this should only be available for characters of level 35 or greater, 30 at an absolute minimum.

Lore wise I think this can be easily adapted/adopted.

For those becoming Guardian - At the end of the epic quest the Vigil deems you a worthy soul and realises your soul in fact is one that had been ripped from its original body and thrust into this Defiant form by Orphiel's perversion of the accension process. The Vigil then sever's the connection that bound your soul to the body used/created by the Defiants and grants you accension in your true form as a Guardian!

For those becoming Defiant - You prove to the Defiants that you have had your eyes opened to the weakness that the Vigil fosters in all Telaran's that adhere to their ways and you embrace the power of technoscience and the knowledge that alone it is this that will save the world. Then Orphiel has you enter the great Eth machine which severs your ties with the Vigil forever bonding you to the body chosen/created just for your accension as Defiant!

Either way your soul is ripped from your current physical form. You then could see the character creation screen for the faction your are changing to. After completing that you must follow through the starting area in your new form as you would at that normal level questing and leveling up to/through the cutscene to the greater game world. When you arrive in Telara you have all your gear/stuff/etc back and you are greeted by an npc with appropriate flavor text .... epic!!

To further safe-guard from abuses for the first week after the switch a character could be title locked to have 'The Reborn' after their name. Also if Name changes where allowed in this process the old name should be title locked for one week as a prefix to the new name - an example would be (Karu) Tarnil The Reborn. Also this process should be one time, one way for any singular character, once you change there is no going back hence the multiple chances to opt out of the quest chain.

So where do you stand on this topic?

Soulwalker

Thumbs down bad idea

just bad bad bad. have some conviction ( a fixed or firmly held belief, opinion, etc.) instead of bowing over to one side or the other for a few fleeting moments of power.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by bucneked View Post
    just bad bad bad. have some conviction ( a fixed or firmly held belief, opinion, etc.) instead of bowing over to one side or the other for a few fleeting moments of power.
    Just laughable troll. I have conviction I am Guardian regardless of whether or not my first character can be made playable to me in the faction I choose to play in. There is absolutely no "moments of power" for if you actually read the post you would have seen the Guardian pop on this pvp shard is lower, both in number of level 50's and in number of people all together. I am not, like some, wanting my character simply because I think Ill be in the op faction. I just want to move her to the faction that, for me, has a more enjoyable play experience/feel. If anything Im making a choice to go to the weaker side in our shards current makeup.

If you do truly feel its a bad idea why not state why? Does it unbalance game play? or ruin the games lore?

I have seen a fair few posts and heard some people on podcasts both for and against this. Many who are against this often think the idea of an epic quest makes it more acceptable. I personally would like to see this feature sooner rather than later as I enjoy playing my cleric alot and she would make an awesome dwarf but I just can't be ***ed to re-roll and level another cleric to 50 and I also like the fact that she has achievements, titles and trinkets that I have earned and will never be available again.
    Last edited by Nytling; 05-26-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Default Bad idea

Totally agree this is a BAD idea.

And no need to flame us for not agreeing with you!!!
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    Totally agree this is a BAD idea.

And no need to flame us for not agreeing with you!!!
    Not flaming at all. To me the remark after his opinion was very trollish. Most times I ignore it but sometimes, especially if I think it can strengthen the point or help clarify the idea of what I am asking, I will point it out. In my reply I properly corrected his miss-information and I even asked him why he feels it's a bad idea. I try not to feed trolls or support their behavior.

Anywho I really am interested in why people think faction/race changing is such a bad idea!

Personally I really just don't understand it. I see people say "bad bad bad" alot but without any reasoning behind it. When people say it's just bad with no rationalization for their point of view it comes across, to me, as self important elitist snobery 'This is my faction and we don't want anybody that doesn't like the other faction to join us' . It simply makes no sense.

Soulwalker

Default i agree

Faction change for the win. I will so take my 2 50s to Guardians from Defiant. 1 because thier lower in number. 2. all my friends play on a Guardian side. Faction changes will have absoutly no impact in pve servers. In addition, why ***** 90% of pvp would be in warfrounts. I frankly welcome open world pvp verses warfront. Like dude said before, why hate, are u gonna transfer to a pvp serer from pve and get ownd, or vise versa and own... ither way, its completely your decision.

Really, they should at least allow a 1 time faction change with no impact... Frends to play with friends.. I have a t2 warrior rotting and i cant play with my friends with it... Ok, so maby 1 toon is a bad reason.. I played a Mage to 45 on another server then rerolled to be with more friends. Ive now played almost a max lvl toon of each archtype on 3 diffrent servers.. It would be nice to retain what ive worked for... at least 1 faction change per life of a toon. Or set faction changes on a longer change cycle.. Frankly, i say keep it 1 week too. It would be exciting to log in and not know witch faction held dominance...

Default Good idea, with limitations

Now, what would be really cool, would be to keep your race once changed over. Bahmi Guardians? Yes please. Dwarf Defiants? Aww, they're so cute!

There should be a title for completing it, "The Turncloak" or "The Converted", depending on which path you move along (Guardian to Defiant, and Defiant to Guardian, respectively).

For those who want a storyline tie-in, well, there are plenty of people who support the Guardians who are not Mathosians, High Elves, or Dwarves; in fact I believe you can find a Bahmi or an Eth praying in Old Mathosia, where the Guardian noob-zone is (that may have changed since head start, when it was pointed out to me). Defiants, well... any Ascended can be Defiant, really. The tougher part would be convincing the Vigil and their Messenger that you're of faith, where-as the Defiants merely wish to see that you can kick *** and turn a sourcestone wrench.

I agree on the importance for this happening only once per character, mostly for the above reasons.

The reason I support this is, honestly, sometimes you make a terrible mistake at character-creation. Back when a friend convinced me to play WoW, the only toon he had was on the Horde so, naturally, I made a Blood Elf to see what the game was all about. Turns out, I hated my Blood Elf; with a passion. He annoyed me at every turn, and when I discovered the paid server transfer, I jumped ship to the Alliance and never looked back (having too little spare time to roll a new toon up to 80 all over again, and being dismayed at that prospect). Some times, that situation honestly just happens.

I wouldn't want to diminish the roleplay or gameplay advantages to a Questline-driven faction change, however. Let it be known that a Bahmi who believed in the Vigil or a High Elf who worked for the Defiants would be terribly interesting to roleplay with, if they could stay in character.

Anyway, that's my perspective on it.
    Last edited by Morvick; 07-10-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

from a pvp and a rp point of view, i actually get the hassle and donts. in a actual world you cant just quit the mafia, and join the police because you're loosing.
    but what about your friends?

personally i would kill for a change, and wouldn't mind the anarchy online idea of having it be a questline, a voucher from the opposing faction, and a rep grind while being factionless, heck id even pay for it without feeling cheated.
    while looking for a new mmo, i did some guild research, found that the danish raiding community was best represented in rift, found a guild i would like to join once i reached 50, and bought the game. now, 10 days later, i've messed up, im on the right shard, but the wrong faction.
    i find myself stuck as a defiant, not too fond of pvp, on a server where we're under represented, and only 2 semi decent raiding guilds on my factions side (as far as i have been able to gather information, sorry if i left someone out).
    im faced with the following choice, reroll on the correct faction, and do the lvl'ing process all over again, which feels more like work than playtime, and allways makes me want to quit, give up, scream, and lash out at everyone.
    or stay, get it over with, and learn to focus 100% on pvp, missing out on the community i joined the game to join forever.

so from my solely egotistical point of wiev, i wish faction transfers was possible, in ANY way.

@the guys that dont want to have it happen from a rp/lore point of wiev
    some times games have to forego realism, for better playing experience. like green crosses mean bonus health, instead of you having to go back to the mechanic and get your exosuit fixed over night before going back into combat.
    like we train our abilities by paying a trainer to say, "so now you deal more damage, bye bye", instead of practicing pressing that button for days on end.

@the pvp guys worrying about everyone joining the winning side
    really, wouldnt all the less skilled "young individuals" that play with that mindset, be the cause of loosing? and wouldnt you win more often with only the dedicated players left?
    gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo

+ Reply to Thread