+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wait, what?! Aren't you supposed to be dead?

Thumbs down Wait, what?! Aren't you supposed to be dead?

I've seen quite a few threads lately expressing dissatisfaction at the fact that 'grey' NPCs can be agro'd ...usually because of the annoying side effects like being dismounted or snared etc.

While I agree with that motion simply because those kinds of interactions are annoying as hell - and that's reason enough to make a change - I do acknowledge that it makes sense for some mobs to be aggressive regardless of level.

Why? Lore.

Now, unless it's an Ascended you've just killed; the victim will have a tendency to stay dead. I mean, if I decide to get up off the computer, grab a 10-gauge and lots of ammo, go to the woods, and blast EVERY wolf, cougar, bear, etc to kingdom-come... it's reasonable to assume that the next time I venture into those woods, I will not be attacked by one of those fuzzies.

So, lets apply this to Rift. Assuming you quested to level up - which most people do - you completed a myriad of "go kill 20 monsters" type quests... the purpose for killing 20 monsters is usually to, you know, remove them from the face of Telara... sometimes it's even followed up with "and then go kill their boss" which eliminates any possibility of those mobs returning... they have been sent to the metaphorical kingdom-come by the metaphorical 10-gauge. The issue is, in Telara, when I venture back into the metaphorical woods, the metaphorical fuzzies are all back, and still see me as a source of sustenance... $#&@!!

Now, we can't have entire populations of mobs actually disappear, as that would cause some frustrations for those who are doing the quest after you; but we can make them disappear in a more metaphorical (getting tired of that word yet? ^_^) sense... aka, not interacting with you when you run them over.

So, not only should 'grey' NPCs not agro onto us - because it's friggin' annoying and adds nothing to the game; but vanquished NPCs should not agro onto us because they're supposed to be dead!

(TL;DR)

Sooo, if a quest sends me to obliterate a population of NPC's, and I complete that quest, the population of NPCs in question should switch from 'red' to 'yellow' and react accordingly to me.

Yar?
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

I can see how this makes sense. I do agree that something needs to be done. You just have to find a balance between frustrating and boring, too little or too much. Hopefully Trion will work it out.
    "Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Plane Touched

That is actually a fairly nifty idea. Kinda like faction grinding for certain sets of mob types in a zone. You kill X number of the mobs in a certain zone and they are no longer agro to you once they are grey. Defeat the whole chain of quests for a certain faction you are supposed to save a zone for (golden Maw in Scarlet Gorge, Aefwar dude in Scarwood, etc) and you are rewarded with no more agro by greys later on. An interesting perk to doing all the quest chains and killing all mob types in a zone.

Leaves room to make it another sort of progression, and then would make it much easier to hunt artifacts in the future.

+++++++ I like it.

Telaran

I Love this Idea and I Support it.

Rift Disciple

I would prefer if grey mobs simply didn't attack at all, and the aggro range for all mobs should decrease with gear. For grey/lowgreen mobs though.. it's completely and totally ******ed for even a group of them to attack a player simply because no group of players would attack a ?? level elite. Hell they should even make an attempt to AVOID you.

Quote Originally Posted by CdrRogdan View Post
    I would prefer if grey mobs simply didn't attack at all, and the aggro range for all mobs should decrease with gear. For grey/lowgreen mobs though.. it's completely and totally ******ed for even a group of them to attack a player simply because no group of players would attack a ?? level elite. Hell they should even make an attempt to AVOID you.
    I agree with that motion; I'd simply like it extended to vanquished foes. Stillmoor for example: there are several zombie/werewolf infested villages that I have personally PURGED. These mobs can be anywhere from level 45 to 50 - so the 'greys not attacking' wouldn't apply to these, but even though they're my level, they technically don't exist to my toon, and therefore shouldn't attack me unless I initiate combat.

/signed for certain mobs trying to avoid you... it'd be funny as hell to run through a group of Aelfwar and watch them run in terror ^_^
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    I agree with that motion; I'd simply like it extended to vanquished foes. Stillmoor for example: there are several zombie/werewolf infested villages that I have personally PURGED. These mobs can be anywhere from level 45 to 50 - so the 'greys not attacking' wouldn't apply to these, but even though they're my level, they technically don't exist to my toon, and therefore shouldn't attack me unless I initiate combat.

/signed for certain mobs trying to avoid you... it'd be funny as hell to run through a group of Aelfwar and watch them run in terror ^_^
    in the case of named specific mobs, I agree with you, in the case of generic Aelwar Archer, nope, it's a different archer and all he knows of you is that you are the enemy.

Telaran

Trion resolved this issue, they made low level mobs (ones much lower) have an aggro range that is so small that all you need to do is go half a meter around them and your not going to aggro.

I have a dog that is non aggressive at all, if you were to run past him and not touch him he will leave you alone, however if you run past him and kick him in the side as you do it he is going to bite you. Dont step on the mobs and they wont aggro if they are well below you.

Default Great Idea

This is a fantastic idea, one that rewards people for questing while not giving boring rewards like experience and loot even. Running with a group to a given location could mean some people might get attacked while others don't, but that's the reward for having done the quests in that area. This could be applied in so many ways beyond just travelling as well.

Good thinking.

- Del
    Last edited by Delofasht; 05-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elosrekat View Post
    in the case of named specific mobs, I agree with you, in the case of generic Aelwar Archer, nope, it's a different archer and all he knows of you is that you are the enemy.
    It would be based more on location than anything else. The Aelfwar fortress in silverwood for example - those guys are dead and gone, and should not attack me if I return. However, Aelfwar show up in plenty of other locations as well, and if I haven't personally dealt with those; there's no reason they should ignore my presence.
    ==> Look no further! <==

Rift Disciple

not another one of these ideas...seriosuly you have alot of time on your hands to be thinking up all these 'ideas'
    mob aggro is annoying yes, but making the world devoid or without the risk of attack is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaka View Post
    not another one of these ideas...seriosuly you have alot of time on your hands to be thinking up all these 'ideas'
    mob aggro is annoying yes, but making the world devoid or without the risk of attack is just silly.
    I have a ton of time on my hands... it's ridiculous. I just finished college, but haven't found a job in my career field yet. I've got more down-time now then I ever had at any time earlier in my life.

It's actually driving me crazy... I need a solid schedule.

Anyway, I dissagree with your notion of risklessness being silly. Risk is immersive at first, but after running through an area for the 50th time, and being confronted by the same resistance for the 50th time, and slaughtering that resistance the exact same way you've done 49 times in the past; it actually takes away from the experience.

It's like riding an otherwise very intense roller-coaster, but having to stop every 5 minutes to touch up the paint.

Being a lore-nerd, it strikes an extra nerve for me when the confrontation is issued by an NPC whom I slaughtered in the past... back to the roller-coaster analogy: instead of stopping every 5 minutes to touch up the paint, it's like going back in time every 5 minutes to touch up the exact same chips and scratches that you've already fixed a countless number of times; an already mindless activity has been further monotonized.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to make all of telara completely riskless; while on a daily, for example, related mobs should be aggressive: the idea of a daily is that there's still a problem that needs to be fixed... but for non-dailys, once you've completed the quest, the threat is gone.
    ==> Look no further! <==

+ Reply to Thread