+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forum Suggestion for "Im leaving threads"

Default Forum Suggestion for "Im leaving threads"

So it occurred to me today after responding to why constructive "im leaving threads" always get closed because of the flame war that follows no matter how constructive the OP is.

People always use the closing of "I quit" threads as a excuse said company is sweeping things under the carpet, which is most cases is not true.

So what if when creating a thread you could select a "Im leaving" or something that will automatically lock the thread? Then they cant be turned into a flame war while the Mods are at the coke machine getting something to drink. Anything posted that is not constructive can be deleted by a Mod just as they are now.

This way said company can receive constructive feedback while also preventing the "zomg they are closing threads this game is dying" PR snafoo's that always seem to fllow?

No one does this. This would be yet another way for Trion to break the mold in MMO-RPG's.

Thoughts?
    Day gives way to night on the storefront mannequins, the audience with Mona Lisa grins.
    Moonlight builds emotion as the players scuttle in.
    Pull the curtain back and let the show begin....

Shadowlander

I wonder about having a special subforum just for these threads like general rants/flames. This way, the trolls can have their fun, while not affecting people reading General or other forums.

Perhaps do what I've seen on one forum for the real bad trolls. Instead of banning them, the admins have a flag they set that the troll's posts are visible to nobody but themselves. This way, the troll can happily flame all and sundry, nobody notices, then the troll posts his "OMG, I'm being ignored, bye ya meanies" post and is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Celodar View Post
    Perhaps do what I've seen on one forum for the real bad trolls. Instead of banning them, the admins have a flag they set that the troll's posts are visible to nobody but themselves. This way, the troll can happily flame all and sundry, nobody notices, then the troll posts his "OMG, I'm being ignored, bye ya meanies" post and is gone.
    Thats a pretty neat feature. I think some "Im leaving" threads can be very constructive. Its the flame war that follows that becomes the issue.

The only issue I can see with its own subforum is people looking to make a point, even a constructive one, wants their thread to be seen. Who is hanging out in the "Im leaving" forum? So with its own subforum I could see it not even getting used for its intended purpose.
    Day gives way to night on the storefront mannequins, the audience with Mona Lisa grins.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Anything posted that is not constructive can be deleted by a Mod just as they are now.
    It always comes down to what's considered "constructive" and what isn't. There are hundreds of posts on this forum which contain nothing but insults or general rudeness, without any logic or reasoning whatsoever, yet they remain. I've also (fleetingly) seen some posts that were written in a proper and reasonable way, with reasons given for opinions expressed. If the mods, Trion or anyone else disagrees with the opinions, that doesn't make them invalid, but provides a basis for discussion, which is the purpose of having a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Daysy View Post
    It always comes down to what's considered "constructive" and what isn't. There are hundreds of posts on this forum which contain nothing but insults or general rudeness, without any logic or reasoning whatsoever, yet they remain. I've also (fleetingly) seen some posts that were written in a proper and reasonable way, with reasons given for opinions expressed. If the mods, Trion or anyone else disagrees with the opinions, that doesn't make them invalid, but provides a basis for discussion, which is the purpose of having a forum.
    I agree, but "im leaving thread" replies is where the issue is. There is not a single "I quit" thread out there that doesnt get flooded with flaming. Even if the OP doesnt post a single reply, other people will do the flaming. That is why I suggest an option to mark it as a "I quit" thread so its insta-locked and flame wars cannot be started in those threads. I think its important for people to express why they like/disklike the product on the forums, but when a Mod comes in and locks those threads it just fuels the trolls in saying "ZOMG X company is sweeping the truth under the rug by closing threadz"

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    So it occurred to me today after responding to why constructive "im leaving threads" always get closed because of the flame war that follows no matter how constructive the OP is.

People always use the closing of "I quit" threads as a excuse said company is sweeping things under the carpet, which is most cases is not true.

So what if when creating a thread you could select a "Im leaving" or something that will automatically lock the thread? Then they cant be turned into a flame war while the Mods are at the coke machine getting something to drink. Anything posted that is not constructive can be deleted by a Mod just as they are now.

This way said company can receive constructive feedback while also preventing the "zomg they are closing threads this game is dying" PR snafoo's that always seem to fllow?

No one does this. This would be yet another way for Trion to break the mold in MMO-RPG's.

Thoughts?
    Honestly I think Trion is really caught up in MMO metrics and has a hard time thinking outside the box or accepting open criticism without launching into image control mode from fear of customers being lost of put off to purchasing their product.

I'd like to say in regards to the flamers, they're why we can't have nice things. They insulate companies like Trion from the feedback and criticism they need to hear in order to do better. I can see saying something snarky to someone who quits for stupid reasons and does a big QQ or ragequit, but the ones posting valid feedback and constructive criticism need to be listened to, because eventually we're all going to be in their shoes.

Rift Disciple

stupid suggestion.
    nobody cares if some 12 year old is rage quitting.
    What purpose would it serve other than to acknowledge some basement nerds lack of social acceptance anywhere.
    It's a game not a job or life.

+ Reply to Thread