+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: EQ Style AA System

Lightbulb EQ Style AA System

First, if you don't know what I'm referring to, see the bottom.

Pros:

• End-game character progression would no longer revolve entirely around gear.
      • Face it, the gear grind is monotonously boring. AAs are much more exciting as you gain new abilities, buff current abilities, directly boost your stats, etc with new points gained.
    • Players would be able to continue the same immersive, open world playstyle they enjoyed while leveling.
      • I've heard often of people that enjoy the leveling experience so much and are only let down by the end-game. It's like you ding 50 and are suddenly playing a different game. This lets them continue the adventuring in a rewarding fashion.
    • It increases the end-game progression cap.
      • Currently, once you finish gearing up, there's nothing 'worthwhile' to do but wait for the next big patch. But a comprehensive AA system would ensure that you're always able to further your character's progression. So, rather than having 3 alts you don't really care about in raid gear because your main is maxed, it's well worth your time to focus on the one you love. Yes, there are dailies to do currently, but the AA system beats the hell out of farming dailies.
    • It provides even more character variety.
      • Even with the soul system, we find that there's not necessarily a lot of diversity, and a lot of cookie cutter builds. However, by progressing your character through this system, you're gaining stuff that people below you don't have. Your 'voidbolt' is better and/or slightly different than that newbie 50's. Or, you're different simply because you've spent your points differently than another person of progression.
    • It rewards veterans for their investment, allowing them to stand out.
      • Fairly straight forward. With a vast AA system, you can know that someone can't just ding 50, get some welfare epics, and be virtually on your level.
    • Instances and other content wouldn't lose their place in the game.
      • Once you no longer need gear from a certain place, you're done with it. But this way would make it worth your time to continue doing whichever instances of your level you like for more experience. This would also make it worth a high-end character's time to help less geared people through instances.
    • Furthermore,
      • It would promote rifting by even the best.
      • It would get people out of the cities and into the world.
      • The above point would facilitate more world pvp.

If you don't know what it is:
    In everquest, the alternate advancement system works similarly to talents gained by the leveling experience system. You have an experience bubble, when it fills up you get 1 point to spend. (You don't level up, you just get a point.) From there, you buy AAs with the points. AAs can include abilities, stat buffs, ability enhancements, or even vanity items like mounts. See: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/aaskills.html for an example.

Rift Chaser

I love everything EQ. The only reason I'm not playing EQ right now is because it is a raid based game, and I no longer have the time to dedicate to raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Grephyn View Post
    I love everything EQ. The only reason I'm not playing EQ right now is because it is a raid based game, and I no longer have the time to dedicate to raiding.
    I'm a fan of EQ myself ;)

But, I'm posting this because I think it'd be a wonderful addition to rift that seems very much along the lines of what Trion has been going for.

Rift Chaser

I love everything EQ. The only reason I'm not playing EQ right now is because it is a SoE based game, and I no longer have the soul to dedicate to Sony.

Seriously, between their real money stores, LoN drops, re-launching EQ2 as a browser MMO rather than fixing it to run on my PC, and now these hacks? So glad they ran me off a long time ago.

I have to agree, the AA system is one of my favorite ways of advancing a character. Especially since it allowed me to see so much more of the content before hitting max level when rolling new characters, and allowed me to feel like I was doing so much more with a toon that had hit the level cap. Plus it let a fresh 80 come with me and we'll both get XP from the same mobs, even if I'm a boss with 180AA and he just hit the level cap, we can still both benefit. (Fewer 50s sitting around the cities!)
    Last edited by FuseAQM; 05-26-2011 at 09:38 AM.

If the squeaky wheel's always gettin' the grease,
    I'm totally devoted to disturbing the peace.

AA points would keep me playing more than 12 hours a week just for raids. As long as it took a while to gain them. Leveling was super fast, crafting was basically 2 hours to max, greenscale instance down in 3 weeks and on farm status, RoS almost on Farm status. Make us earn something, something like AA points . Grind Baby Grind.

Rift Disciple

I would love to see something similar to the EQ1 AA system. However, it would have to be as part of an expansion or a major content patch. If they just decided to up and release something like this, it would all but trivialize the entire existing game.

Soulwalker

Default Good in EQ...

I played original EQ for many years including when Luclin was released and AA points were introduced. The mechanics were very cool...for a game that had been released for many years.

Rift is not even 4 months old yet, many guilds on many servers have not even downed Greenscale yet. I would greatly prefer if Trion were to continue to develop a game that is still in its infancy; Adding new instances, revamping pvp, etc.

When a few years have passed, and maybe an expansion has been released, then I might revisit the AA system as a good idea to implement. Until that time, let us reflect on how awesome it was...in EQ.

Soulwalker

AA would definitely be nice. Would love a way to feel advancement without the constant boring dungeon grind.

Soulwalker

Thumbs up I'd love AA in Rift

Being an old EQ vet myself I'd love to see this added to the game. Not only does it give you something besides gear to shoot for, it continues to reward you for the things you enjoyed doing while you were leveling up.

I do agree that they would have to make the AA xp much slower to gain compared to how fast you level in Rift.

Adding variety, rewarding activities (not just dungeons/raids), continuing the sense of progression... What's not to like?

In fact, I like this idea so much it made me finally post on the forums.

I would only agree to something like this if there were more points you could spend your points on than you could possibly earn. I would also only want to see it after an expansion has been released.

Something along the lines of 100 ability points and you cap earning them at 40 (or something like that). If it is exactly the same as EQ, then it just becomes more required leveling. As the system grows from expansion to expansion, it also creates a huge problem for new players wishing to catch up.
    Last edited by Fireforge; 05-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.

I would have to agree with an AA like system in play.

I also would like first for Trion to give us more Raid Zones and stuff and then implement said like AA feature.

Shadowlander

In one of the podcasts they interviewed one of the devs who also worked on the AA system. IIRC there were aspects of it he wasn't happy with, and when asked about it for Rift he said he would want to rework it to be quite different if they went that direction, I think the problem he had with it was AA vs. level cap increases and gear, and how to balance them.

I'd LOVE to have an AA system (and a larger game world... ).

Quote Originally Posted by Jinja View Post
    In one of the podcasts they interviewed one of the devs who also worked on the AA system. IIRC there were aspects of it he wasn't happy with, and when asked about it for Rift he said he would want to rework it to be quite different if they went that direction, I think the problem he had with it was AA vs. level cap increases and gear, and how to balance them.
    It worked for those who were there at the beginning and had time to grind them. It was pure hell for anyone who swapped mains or was new to the game years after it had been around. There was a pretty big difference between someone at level cap with 0 AA's and someone at level cap with over 3000 AA's. It was a bloated system that couldn't be ignored for encounter design.

For the record, I liked it but I never main swapped and I was never behind. I'm just expressing that aspect because I know it existed.
    Last edited by Fireforge; 05-26-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    It worked for those who were there at the beginning and had time to grind them. It was pure hell for anyone who swapped mains or was new to the game years after it had been around. There was a pretty big difference between someone at level cap with 0 AA's and someone at level cap with over 3000 AA's. It was a bloated system that couldn't be ignored for encounter design.

For the record, I liked it but I never main swapped and I was never behind. I'm just expressing that aspect because I know it existed.
    I know if you did it right in EQ2 your toon was fine, as you could get plenty of AA from nameds and quess with out even having to level lock, IIRC. Yes, you still had to catch up some-what, but you didn't reach level 80 with 0AA. Granted it wasn't perfect, it was assumed you had a certain amount of AA by the time you reached 80 or you were often lacking key skills, but thankfully the game took long enough that most players learned how to play by that point. heh
    (I quit EQ1 shortly after PoP.)
    Last edited by FuseAQM; 05-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.

If the squeaky wheel's always gettin' the grease,
    I'm totally devoted to disturbing the peace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast