+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too many conceniences

Default Too many conceniences

Hi, I'm a grumpy old WoW-explayer who'd like to give some explainations for why he and his friends only stayed in Rift for a few weeks. We all come from a casual raidguild in WoW during 2005-2008. We play for a wide variety of reasons. Some like PvP but cannot stand raiding, others prefer PvE but don't want it to be a dayjob, and some like both equally well. Some are very fond of the grinding aspect, like professions, tradeskills, guild efforts, auctionhouses. Others are not and are happy to leave this to others.

Now when you begin your game you gathering all available quests, look at your quest-tracker and map ,then rush off. You complete your quest, return and deliver, see if any new quest lights up, gather new ones or venture off to the next questhub. In a blazing tempo you do this again and again. Initially you don't care since you're exploring a new and exciting world filled with unfamiliar creatures. The repetition though soon gets unbearable. None of us couldn't manage to level further than 20-30. There are some major problems with questing. I think the quest-helper is partly to blame. People automatically start steamrolling the quests, and you the developers has to "stretch out" the playtime by littering the world with kill and gather quests, all gathered neatly in questhubs, evenly lined up.

I personally regard quest-helpers as a bad idea, as it considerably ups the tempo and leave little reason for people to group up. Other people just get in the way of you completing your quests. With the quest-helper gone I think you could easily halved the number of quest, made them more elaborate, and let players put some more effort into them, search for locations, items, or mobs. It would have given people like us less reason for turbocharged leveling, and a better reason to group up to reach common goals, or at the very least asked for hints. Being too efficenct doesn't always pay off.

On a more personal note I'd like to say that the widespread use of teleportation ruins world exploration. Part of the fun in travling around is meeting other people, and more importantly for PvP-realms - meeting the opposing faction. For a game with as few zone as this one, each being roughly the size of a standard WoW-zone, it doesn't make much sense to have so many teleporters. When you factor in mounts, the world shrinks pretty fast, which is a shame given the great tech you got for enabling vast open worlds.
    Last edited by Dulte; 05-26-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Rift Disciple

Default Thought the questing and flow was great

I am an ex WOW player and think the questing is great fun - I just could not stop. I am a quest fanatic tho so I guess it's not for many.

So far I have levelled 4 to 50, and have a few more on the way (looking at the defiant side now)

Don't really understand the bit about the portals - you have to go there to get them and they are only located so it does not take forever to go to and from Sanctum.

I think the game is great, other than the lack of materials from gathering at max level and the rewards from doing trades.

I do think the grind to get gear to raid is going to kill the game - lots have not managed to get into Greenscale at this stage and I think they will drop out rather than do that boring dungeon grind.

Rift Disciple

Default Sorry missed the bit about PVP

So you think there are too many portals allowing people to escape ganking on PVP servers?

There are specific PVP warfront activities now, and even on PVP servers people still like to be able to quest and progress their characters rep and see all the content without others interfering with them for their personal amusement.

Ok, what I was getting at is that we like to play together as a group while chatting over Ventrilo/Skype. With the fast leveling tempo, in large part due to the quest-helper, it instead becomes a race to maxlevel. A couple of us like to level many characters (though through years not months), but most of us prefer just one character to concentrate on, to build up gear and professions for. Now I still stand by that there's something fubar about the leveling process. Not a single player in our guild got further than level 30 as Defiant. We also played Age of Conan and even due to its many technical flaws (and lack of quests), most of us managed to complete the leveling there atleast.

Most of us don't mind raid-gear grinding. A lot of us actually prefer it while having a beer, intermixed with smaller dungeons and PvP. We don't do hardcore raiding. Don't know what Greenscale would classify for though.
    Last edited by Dulte; 05-27-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Rift Disciple

Default different aims

ok - I guess it really is down to what we like doing in a game - we are all different.
    Personally I really like to explore the content - and strangely - take my time to see it all.
    I usually read all the quests and look around a lot a all the graphics to get an appreciation of the work of the dev team. I sort of really immerse myself with my character and the environment.

I guess I two box now too with a full set of shared key commands and I find that really fun.

Plane Walker

I find questing really boring. Nothing to do with rift, I hate questing in any mmo.

Maybe you guys need to mix it up a little. From lvl 15 on I was doing WF, dungeons and invasions. I only do quests if I'm not doing those things, and that's almost never.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dulte View Post
    Ok, what I was getting at is that we like to play together as a group while chatting over Ventrilo/Skype. With the fast leveling tempo, in large part due to the quest-helper, it instead becomes a race to maxlevel. A couple of us like to level many characters (though through years not months), but most of us prefer just one character to concentrate on, to build up gear and professions for. Now I still stand by that there's something fubar about the leveling process. Not a single player in our guild got further than level 30 as Defiant. We also played Age of Conan and even due to its many technical flaws (and lack of quests), most of us managed to complete the leveling there atleast.

Most of us don't mind raid-gear grinding. A lot of us actually prefer it while having a beer, intermixed with smaller dungeons and PvP. We don't do hardcore raiding. Don't know what Greenscale would classify for though.
    The simple and obvious solution to this problem would be to press the "L" button, then click on the little circles next to your quests to turn off the tracking feature. Or, you could press the "ESC" key and go into your UI settings and turn off the Quest Helper feature altogether via the slider.

It's an optional feature, and if it's something that diminishes your game experience, simply turn it off.

I mean, if you actually want a solution, it's already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meepit View Post
    The simple and obvious solution to this problem would be to press the "L" button, then click on the little circles next to your quests to turn off the tracking feature. Or, you could press the "ESC" key and go into your UI settings and turn off the Quest Helper feature altogether via the slider.

It's an optional feature, and if it's something that diminishes your game experience, simply turn it off.

I mean, if you actually want a solution, it's already there.
    But you can't dictate the playstyle of other people. When you come as a new player to this game you use whatever is enabled by default. Just because you could implement something in your game, and make it optional, doesn't always mean there is a choice. Take the latest dungeon finder in WoW for instance. It let you sit in the capital and queue up for dungeons. Even more, it lets you group up across realms. Sure, it's very convenient and people doesn't need to use it if they don't want to, but it ends up being required anyway because everyone else is doing it. It affects the social aspect of the game. There are literally an infinit number of these conceniences you could add to a mmo. Doesn't mean adding them (even optionally) betters the mmo experience. Most of these recent inventions are generally geared towards or encourages solo gameplay.

I think that mmos instead should innovate on bringing people together. I think that would be far better for recruitment. You see with us, it's all or no one. If just a few of us decides the game isn't worth playing, it means the rest will leave too, even if some might like certain aspects of the game. It has to be available from beginning to end. Not just tacked on at the endgame. Hehe, maybe that is why companies instead aim for soloplayers?
    Last edited by Dulte; 05-27-2011 at 06:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread