+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pet Control

Default Pet Control

I'd like to see a new ability given to players that lets us take control of certain units other than our characters - namely companion pets, combat pets, and possibly critters.

This would mostly just be one of those fun things to waste time with, but would serve a variety of functions:

Combat
    "I'd bet my Shade-touched Hound can take on your Hagbrood Hatchling!" ...Yup: critter duels. Why? Because we can!! ...eventually. Trion could give each companion-pet a few generic abilities and maybe some species-specific ones... then it'll be squirrels gone wild! ...which has the potential for a related achievement if Trion so chooses.

Exploration
    Not sure what's in that spooky cave? Commandeer a nearby squirrel's brain and go check it out.

Flight is also something that comes to mind on this point. I've seen several threads asking for flying mounts to be added in the game - the responses to which almost exclusively being "NO!" because of all the negative effects it's had on other MMO's.

So, for the most part, we can all agree that flight as a means of travel would be a bad thing for Rift. However, flight in-and-of-itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not sure if there are currently any birds or bats or some other type of flying thing that can be obtained as a pet, but that doesn't mean they can't be added in the future *cough cough* ...ahem - sorry 'bout that.

Amyway, controlling these winged critters would allow you to utilize flight and explore to your heart's content at relatively high speeds. (and could allow for aerial pet dueling!)

One thing critters should NOT be able to do is loot things... You know, like that artifact up at the top of the tree - you wouldn't trust something potentially valuable to a parrot, would you??

Also, you couldn't use a pet to get actual credit for exploring anything - like when the grey spots on the map are replaced with useful information - you'd still have to hoof it over there yourself to do that.

Role-Play
    Those of you into RP have probably already noticed how much of a waste it is to have a Satyr or skeleton at your side and not be able to really use it. This applies, of course, to combat pets more-so than companion pets. Being able to move them freely opens up all kinds of RP opportunities. (( I'm still pissed at Blizzard for taking away 'Eyes of the Beast' >:-( ...that was just uncalled for. ))

As an extension to this, a move-to command for combat pets would be great.

Another RP related thing I'd love to for pets is to give them their own 'emote' capabilities, and 'say' capabilities for certain pet types. Simply, the following commands should be added:

/PetEmote
    -or-
    /pe

and,

/PetSay
    -or-
    /ps

Again, the 'say' portion of it would only be usable on creatures that have displayed speech capabilities in game, like Satyrs and skeletons (and elementals?) but would NOT be usable for things like razorbeasts 'cuz pigs don't talk... and Wilbur can shove it.

Similarly, a /CompanionEmote -or- /ce should be added for companion pets.

I'll use my Satyr, Aristaios, as an example:

I type:
    /pe picks up a squirrel and plays with it enthusiastically until a loud 'pop' emanates from the critter.
    /ps I think this one's broken... Oh well.
    /pe begins eating the paralyzed squirrel.

On screen, a chat bubble would appear above Aristaios, saying "I think this one's broken... Oh well."
    In the chatbox, the following would appear to those in range:

*Haliaeetus - Aristaios* picks up a squirrel and plays with it enthusiastically until a loud 'pop' emanates from the critter.
    [Haliaeetus - Aristaios] says: I think this one's broken... Oh well.
    *Haliaeetus - Aristaios* begins eating the paralyzed squirrel.

Razorbeasts and those cat-things-that-warriors-use, and other similar pets would still be able to use the /PetEmote -or- /pe capabilities, so you could still use it to a reasonable degree...

*Haliaeetus - Wilbur* looks hungrily at a nearby squirrel...

...you get the point.

Also - as this would undoubtedly be an issue if done otherwise: Pet-text would 'count' as text from the player connected with it; so ignoring the pet would also ignore the player, and visa-versa. No gold-spamming fae-folk, please.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

This could also lead to some new game mechanics... say your running a 5man and need to unlock a door from the other side; so everyone mind-controls a rat, runs it through a crack in the wall, navigates some kind of maze or puzzle, flips a few switches, and the door opens!

It would be nice to see something other than tank-spank-n'-heal...
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

WTB feedback! There's a squirrel out there who needs you!

You know when you kill a critter, and it doesn't drop a tear? That's because it's already spent all of its tears lamenting over the lack of feedback in this thread!

(to the top just once more... after that, the bowels of the forum can do with it what they will.)
    ==> Look no further! <==

+ Reply to Thread