+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions to improve the economy of Rift

Default Suggestions to improve the economy of Rift

So I have been playing this game for a few weeks now. I would like to say first and foremost that the quality is top-notch. I would never have guessed that this game is less than half a year old. However, in contrast to the smoothness of the wider game, one aspect remains lackluster: the economy.

So, five suggestions to improve the economy of the game:

1) Place an AH in every aligned town.

Although I can appreciate the idea of making Sanctum/Meridian economic hubs, in a world as massive as this, it is ridiculously inconvenient. People need to drop everything they are doing, travel to a porticulum, and pay the gold fee in order to engage in economic activity. Putting an AH in South Argent Glen/Smith's Haven, Gloamwood Pines/Granite Falls, etc. would facilitate economic activity while still forcing people to travel to Sanctum/Meridian to access their Bank.

2) Decrease the number of bound items.

Virtually everything in this game is bind on equip or bind on pickup. Therefore, people cannot sell or hand down their equipment. This greatly decreases the amount of equipment available on the AH. Perhaps only limit green drops as bind on equip? Allow craftables to be resold?

3) Add an auction history feature.

The lack of item standardization, combined with the absence of access to auction history, make prices ridiculously unstable. Oftentimes, especially at lower levels, I find myself to be the lone seller of an item on the AH. In order to accurately price the item, I would have to hope that there are other items in the same level range on the AH, and I would have to derive a price from all of these items' prices.

It is often much simpler to make some arbitrary guess and set the price at that amount. And I think that this is what people do.

4) Decrease the variety of green items and make vendor items worthwhile at lower levels.

Self-explanatory. Vendors are often ignored because their equipment is terrible compared to quest rewards. High-priced, decent quality goods ought to be available.

5) Rework crafting.

Right now, crafting is all about quantity and idling about as you waste five minutes turning ore into bars or whatnot. Even worse, peoples' crafting levels quickly surpass their character levels, and they are stuck harvesting materials that they do not really need; salvaging, by the way, needs more incentives. In any case, crafting ought to reward hard work and quality, and harvesting needs to be reworked to be an economic driver in and of itself rather than some lame side quest.
    Last edited by Suzut; 05-25-2011 at 04:08 PM.

also allow shift linking item name into auction window for fast searching or a comparison window to quickly look up the going rates for the item your auctioning

Rift Disciple

Default improve economy

I have been playing Rift since about March 26 and think it's great.
    I think the crafts really need a big boost to get the economy really moving and AH sales.

My suggestions:
    give all trades items that can be made that are worthwhile at the level - for example leather, cloth, plater or chain crafter items.

Add other items that could be made - for example gems and so on

make more good recipies available from the trainer - grinding to get recipies really does not achieve anything

make the materials, especially at a higher level much more accessible so people will want to spend time collecting materials as well

For me at present ( I have 4 level 50s) other than outfitter (for bags) and runecrafting ( for stats) every other trade is pretty well a waste of time, and getting materials and recipies is simply a very boring grind that I am not going to do (I would rather level a few alts and be doing something fun)

At 50 the only thing I find interesting at this stage is doing raids with my guild - and as I really don't want to grind dungeons endlessly I guess I won't be geared up enough for that later on either!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanj View Post
    also allow shift linking item name into auction window for fast searching or a comparison window to quickly look up the going rates for the item your auctioning
    This is a great idea as well. I wished they would let us shift-link everything. T_T

+ Reply to Thread