+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Special Souls - aka Souls as loot/rewards

Plane Touched

Default Special Souls - aka Souls as loot/rewards

I think that when they add more classes instead of adding more creation souls they should add epic souls that you get by doing raids/pvp/Epic Quests. They already have a PVP soul, so why not some special classes that you actually receive through end-game content. You could do a number of things with this. These special souls could be required for certain end game content, or even zone specific . You would have X number of people who have to equip the soul for that dungeon run because the skills/spells/buffs they have are essential to surviving encounters in the zone. Even if the souls were meant to be secondary you could have special roles that are usable in certain raid instances or planes(if they get around to adding the planes as zones =P)

The functionality of these souls could be as limited or grand as possible. It could just be an “epic” version of a soul you already have. For instance maybe killing Regulos gives you an EPIC warlock soul instead of just a normal one. The epic one might have a few unique skills and an overall base power increase across the board for talents/spells. This would essentially create a focus for people once they start doing the far end game content. If someone has an epic soul that is likely going to be their primary class no matter what. That gives a little more customization that you have lost by making gear very broad.

Another idea would be to have a soul made specifically to be a tertiary soul. In my experience I don’t bother putting any points into my 3rd soul because to get anything really useful you sacrifice high point skills and talents that are far more useful. So maybe you get a soul that you cannot put any talent points into, but starts with… 6 skills/buffs that you can use. This gives it an increased functionality as a 3rd soul that you don’t get elsewhere.

It just seems to me that after teasing us with a purchasable pvp soul that there is so much more room to grow in this. A hot swap class system is great, but really watered down when everyone can essentially play all available subclasses for one primary class set. Even if the soul only has a few key difference (for instance instead of a generic warlock soul you can get Neddra’s Soul, and this makes all skills/spells associated with Neddra more powerful, and maybe adds 1 or 2 special “Neddra” spells) it would make your character more unique than the average_warlock01 . Then you enter the realm of normal, green, blue, and purple souls ;). Just another way to advance your character other than gear, and it is extremely unique because you are changing your character altogether, not just adding small increments of power/stats.

Shadowlander

There are a lot of possibilities with this:

One is getting souls via XP after 50, similar to EQ1's AA system. Souls that have raiding, PvE, or general usefullness, such as combat ressing, a generic pet, passive buffs, ability to help the raid with mana, etc.

A "raid soul" definitely would be cool. Perhaps five of them, one for a tank, one for melee DPS, one for ranged DPS, one for support, and one for CC. For a tank, it would give better armor and mitigation, healer gets a random chance of a mana refund/insta cast heal/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Celodar View Post
    A "raid soul" definitely would be cool. Perhaps five of them, one for a tank, one for melee DPS, one for ranged DPS, one for support, and one for CC. For a tank, it would give better armor and mitigation, healer gets a random chance of a mana refund/insta cast heal/etc.
    As long as they are attainable some other way then raiding as to not pidgeonhole folks into a particular playstyle, then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celodar View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities with this:

One is getting souls via XP after 50, similar to EQ1's AA system. Souls that have raiding, PvE, or general usefullness, such as combat ressing, a generic pet, passive buffs, ability to help the raid with mana, etc.

EQ1/2's AA system was ok, but in the end you would grind AA before hitting level 90. It became tedious to grind AA, and no fun. No AA-type system. lol
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

+ Reply to Thread