+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need or Greed Lessons Learned from Blizzard

Telaran

Lightbulb Need or Greed Lessons Learned from Blizzard

The Need or Greed system is currently as useless as it used to be in WoW. In every warfront or rift or whatever unless you are on a Guild run you always hit Need. Relying on honesty just doesn't work. Plus in a Warfront you don't really have time to check out the item.

Need should only be available for items you can use. This should be an easy fix with armor. Simply make is so Only Rogues can Need roll leather only Mages Cloth ect....

Weapons might need some a little work. But right now should be easy to make is so you can only Need if your class an use it.

Down the road it would be nice if this was set up by stats. If it has things like int and spell power warriors and rogues should not be rolling.

aux

If you actually need a Warfront drop (except the very rare purples) you have bigger problems tbh. So it's actually more fair to let everyone hit Need.
    I'm so BORED

TBH ... by now I autopass (called 'greed') most of the time on stuff (unless it would be something my actual character could really use/need) as players are needing on everything - a warrior needing on mana pots, why not?

Even before a well known mmorpg changed its loot system I did never encounter as many needy people as in Rift. Ofc I do have runecrafting characters as well, and ofc I can use some extra gold from selling the stuff, however, I think unless Trion 'forces' players to greed only on gear they cannot use with their actual role/class, nothing will change.

@aux

Deep inside me I refuse to need on anything only because everyone else needs on it; unless I actually need it for real: like in gear upgrade and not like in need of extra gold/Runecrafting stuff.
    Last edited by StuffedDuck; 05-25-2011 at 04:39 AM.

My mage needs the gold I sell plate and leather drops for. Get over this. The "need only for appropriate calling" is pretty childish.
    Last edited by Ayenn; 05-25-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    The Trinity is unholy! Down with the Trinity!
    Carrots belong in stew, not on the end of a stick.

Foamy tells it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn View Post
    My mage needs the gold I sell plate and leather drops for. Get over this. The "need only for appropriate calling" is pretty childish.
    So basically you suggest to remove need/greed/pass at all and just let everyone need/roll on the stuff automatically, no matter if it is green, blue or purple?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rostan View Post
    unless you are on a Guild run you always hit Need. Relying on honesty just doesn't work.
    Maybe it doesn't, however I guess I'm just dumb enough to think that as long as I'm treating others the way I'd hope (but not necessarily expect) them to behave to me means I'm not myself part of the problem.

And frankly, anyone getting butt-hurt about loot which makes them behave like a DB in a video game really needs pitying.
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-25-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Ascendant

Yeah, there's a lot of people like you playing this game, sadly.

It is normally people like this that kick and scream the loudest when they lose out on gear they wanted to use because some random person rolled need on their epic armor type. I have a feeling this is how it would play out:

Ayenn rolls need on [epic item]
    Bob rolls need on [epic item]

Ayenn: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU ARE A WARRIOR!!!!! YOU CAN NOT EVEN USE THAT EPIC CLOTH DROP!"

Bob: "No, but I NEED the gold I will get from vendoring it, lol"

Ayenn: "OMG YOU [explicit] NINJA!!!! [insert more rage here]"

Even though Ayenn will reject this scenario and act like it would never happen, we all know it would.

Also, it is more childish to expect others to simply miss out on items they could really use because you believe you are entitled to every little thing in this game, as long as you win the roll. However, once that roll is lost; I bet your roll ethics change completely.

It is self-entitled children like you that are ruining this genre.
    Last edited by Gawdzilla; 05-25-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Rift Disciple

Personally I think they should eliminate the Need button completely and leave only the Greed button. The forum QQ would be hilarious to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    It is self-entitled children like you that are ruining this species.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thanks for the fix, Kayden!

I would actually say it's you who are pretty childish.
    Verodio 60 rogue
    Arcaria 60 mage
    Ciren 56 Cleric
    Drow Organization

Soulwalker

Actually "Need" is for if the item is something you can actually wear/use (BOP). When you "Need" something you cannot actually wear/use you are taking away from another who can.

"The "need only for appropriate calling" is pretty childish". Actually "needing" on something you cannot use for you to sell (BOP) is not only childish, it is Selfish. Others actually NEED it to wear/use (BOP), you only "WANT" it to sell, big difference, "need VS want". If you cannot wear/use it you WANT it, not NEED it. Understand the difference?

Rift can implement that if you cannot use/wear it (BOP) you cannot need on it and that will help greatly with the problem as many people do not have the "Need vs Want" idea down. Or actually do not care as long as it benefits them. (I stop healing them on my healers, don't pull off or assist them when being mobbed, etc. This is my petty answer to match their selfishness). /big grin

The rest we have to deal with as a cost of being a gamer. People do make the experience better or worse.

This is not the experience I've had at all. O.o Sure there have been a few ninjas, but what can you do? Overwhelmingly people I've grouped with have been great about sharing loot fairly.

Not sure how I feel about changing the loot rules, tbh. On the face of it it seems fair, but it makes me uneasy nonetheless. Can't quite pin down why. *shrug*
    On Laethys:

Bethany <Violent Harvest>, Guardian Cleric (Sentinel; Justicar; Druid), 50
    Nianeyna, Defiant Rogue (Ranger), 19
    Cimorene, Guardian Warrior (Paladin), 15
    Anghara, Defiant Mage (Chloromancer),13

Yeah, I have a problem with only clerics being able to pick up one of the 900 or so BoP blue 50 chain helms in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast