+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestion: Changing the way gear works

Default Suggestion: Changing the way gear works

I hope this is in the right forum. It appears the suggestion forum disappeared a while ago!

How do I propose gear should be changed?

I propose that all Spell Focus, Hit and Toughness is removed from gear and replaced with a single stat that covers all of these depending on spec. To keep things simple, let's give it a name. Let's call it "Readiness" for now.

How would this work?

There could be a passive root ability that you get for having more than 50% of your soul points in a given role (more than 50% in tanking souls would convert Readiness into Toughness etc)

The alternative would be to include the Readiness conversion into Toughness in a stance.

What about Parry, Block, Endurance, Armour etc?

I propose that we remove these from armour (obviously we wouldn't remove Endurance and Armour altogether but we would remove the difference between tank and non-tank gear) but keep it on weapons, foci and shields. There could be a conversion of the Calling's base stats (Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, Intellect etc) into these stats using either a stance or, as mentioned earlier, by having more than 50% of points in a given role.

Why would this be better than what we have now?

It would mean Clerics, Rogues and Warriors could fulfil any role in mostly the same gear (much like Mages do already). They would just need to change weapons and sigil.

As an example; this would allow for things such as a Justicar being able to AOE heal while in Mien of Honour and then switch to 1H and Shield plus Mien of Leadership and become a very effective tank. Or a MM/Ranger Rogue switching to Riftstalker without having to obtain more gear.

We currently have the illusion of flexibility but end-game your gear pigeon holes you into a role. Mages truly do have this flexibility already (I know because I am one!). I'd like to see this flexibility for other Callings as well.

Some final words: My opinion

I don't think having different gear for different roles really makes the game any more fun for anyone and it's a downright pain if you want to fulfil different roles as anything other than a Mage.

I think this change would be win-win but I'm interested in hearing opinions on this.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Rift Disciple

Suggestion forums is a sub-forums to "general discussions"

As for the suggestions in general im kinda unsure if i like it really, it sounds somewhat intresting, but also could seem kinda hard to balance properly out, also with the stance, well for cleric and rogues that would be easy enough they already got their phase/mien's but warriors ahve like what? 4-5 tanking souls? so each of them need a different set of stances? and oh wait? all support, healing and damage souls would need stances too? a bit too many stances there imo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Ascendant

bad idea, it would punish people for taking hybrid specs.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear View Post
    so each of them need a different set of stances? and oh wait? all support, healing and damage souls would need stances too? a bit too many stances there imo...
    As I said in the original post. It could be a root ability that you gain from a certain amount of points in a tanking soul. So if a warrior was 31 Paladin / 15 Reaver / 20 Paragon (yeah it would be a mess.. I don't know about Warrior specs) then they would have one tanking stance for having more than 50% of their points in tanking souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    bad idea, it would punish people for taking hybrid specs.
    Not true, because all roles except healers benefit from Hit / Spell Focus, they would be included regardless of spec. It's only the Toughness that would have a requirement.

p.s. Thanks who ever moved this!
    Last edited by Xiomaro; 05-25-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Smile

I think this is actually a good idea! Flexibility was something that Trion wants to give to us with the ascended class system with a class that can have multiple roles at a time and can be Tank/Healer/DPS/Support whenever they want. BUT becouse gear limits us on what roles we can do.

As an adition to your suggestion, I think there should be 0 -point passive that allows "Readiness" to conjure into specific stats that you need for the role that the soul provides. The soul with the most points will affect "Readiness". So as a Tank it will change in Parry/Dodge/Block/Toughness, Healer Clerics will get more Wisdom and Intelligence from Readiness, Physical DPS will get more Dex and Strength, And caster DPS will get more Spellpower/crit and Intelligence.

Only consern is that a lot of gear has to be adjusted and a lot of content has to be changed for this change and it might even more complex to Develop...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiomaro View Post

Not true, because all roles except healers benefit from Hit / Spell Focus, they would be included regardless of spec. It's only the Toughness that would have a requirement.

p.s. Thanks who ever moved this!
    Cleric Healer's should get defaulted to Toughness, Mage Healers should be defaulted to Spell Focus and Rogue Healers should be defaulted to Hit Focus.

I like this idea.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

It could just be me, but i think this change is relatively close to the "Mastery" sat implemented in wow...and i didn't like it there, so i would not like to see armor change in this way. But, that being said, it is just my opinion and I'm glad your trying to think of something new and innovative for the game! Keep it up!

+ Reply to Thread