+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for Invasion System

Soulwalker

Default Suggestions for Invasion System

Hey guys. I'm still loving the game so far. Although yesterday, a few things came to mind about the Zone Invasion system that I feel could be handled differently (possibly even better).

* Zone Wide Public Group for invasions

Here's the deal right now: A lot of the times an invasion is happening. You see a forlorn player asking hopefully: "Any groups up?" There's no response. People are either in Warfronts / sitting in Meridian / running Dungeons or any plethora of things Rift has to offer. A lot of the time, when in the zone for invasions, you notice a lot of people actually running around, participating in quests. These people might be interested in joining a group, but they probably aren't willing to create one themselves.

Here's my suggestion: When an invasion happens, a zone wide "Join Public Raid" box pops up. This might motivate people to join a group through convenience alone. As Scott Hartsman once put it - People love grouping, but hate putting groups together. To avoid problems, one can always set their group to private if you don't want to participate.

* Phase to Invasion Level

This is a slight twist to the mentoring system. There are a lot of complaints from people in the lower level zones about Level 50 characters ruining the experience by closing Rifts before they can reach them. If you take the option I talked about above and combined that with a "Phase to Invasion Level" function which basically reduces your level to the range the Invasion was designed for, that would greatly alleviate the above problem. You could make it that the rewards scale on actual level and not phased level if people use this function, which will greatly increase it's feasibility.

So, a player will receive a relatively low amount of planarite if they do Invasions in Freemarch at level 50, but if they Phase to the Invasion's level, they will get rewards as if they were closing them in Stillmoor. This code also has the function that it can potentially be reused for a mentoring system.

Thoughts? Comments? Unnecessary flames?

Plane Walker

I posted a thread before on Raid coordination during invasions:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...g-invasions...

I also posted a thread about allowing you to set the level cap of a role (not quite the same as you're suggesting, but worth a read.)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...evel-of-a-role

Soulwalker

Yes. I remember your thread. That suggestion would certainly add a lot of benefit and I would love to see it implemented, either as a stand-alone or as an added component to my suggestion. However, I think one of the characteristics many MMO players share (I'm being anecdotal here) is that, unless the option of joining a group to combat invasions is very visibly thrown at them, they probably won't participate. It's all about accessibility and ease of use for many players. While Dungeon Difficulty / Raids / Warfronts should be challenging, the interface and tools to form groups should not be.

I do realize that it would probably be difficult to implement from a technical standpoint, so if they could add your feature to the game, that would already be a big help.

I really love these ideas. They are probably some ideas that would gel more fluidly with the design of the game, and i think they just make sense (the first one more than the second idea, though.)

do not agree for stillmoor loot from freemarch invasion just cause leveled down.

I suggest no loot or invasion/quest updates from grey rifts, you get normal loot for that rift if you scale down to its challenge.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaren View Post
    do not agree for stillmoor loot from freemarch invasion just cause leveled down.

I suggest no loot or invasion/quest updates from grey rifts, you get normal loot for that rift if you scale down to its challenge.
    Yeah, the only reason I put that in was because I think there's a tendency in MMO games to ignore that which isn't being substantially / appropriately rewarded. Many people probably wouldn't downscale to an Invasion's level just to get 200 planarite from it.

There's probably some sort of balance system that can be achieved for it... Even if they reward you with something like a different currency when doing Phased participation, that can be used to purchase items from a newly created rewards vendor. You could potentially make that this currency can be traded in for chunks of 250 planarite / vanity pets / other rewards.
    Last edited by FeralFox; 05-25-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Banned

I like the idea of the zone event group button, but since we have the LFG tool already why not just have the button say "Join zone event Group Queue" and it could find the most full, but open/public, group and plunk you or your existing group in it.

a new currency would be cool, but i would think people would bedoing it t help or for achievements more than the loot.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post
    Here's my suggestion: When an invasion happens, a zone wide "Join Public Raid" box pops up. This might motivate people to join a group through convenience alone.
    I strongly support the suggestion of making it easier to find and join an invasion group. I'd just tweak your idea to say that instead of a box popping up, there be an icon in the invasion "quest" area, similar to the new LFG option for group quests or the use item for a quest.

That way you can still join a public group if you are near a rift/foothold/etc. if you'd like, while also having the option to join an invasion / zone-wide event.

Soulwalker

Default Toggle Invasion Ability

Whilst I love this feature of rift and think its what make the game so unique and dynamic there are times when u are just out of the starter area and an elite zone-wide fire invasion forces a log-out where the ability to simply turn off the invasion/foothold part of the game and phase out would be perfect. Also at lvl 50 again not myself but I know of fellow guildies that may be slightly disenchanted by full-scale invasion in stillmoor or shimmersands..... just a thought

Soulwalker

Not so sure about that one. Telara, as it is now, is Trion's first attempt at a "living, breathing world". The thing with a living, breathing world is, that it's breath can sometimes be toxic and it can kill you. That much is working as intended. I would argue against adding a feature that phases you to a "Safe Dimension", because to me, it takes away one of the elements that makes Rift stand out the most. Telara is a dangerous place: It even challenges the normal convention of having the roads be a safe-haven, in that the mobs will cross them.

I realize some people have limited time, but Invasions normally last 20 minutes to an hour at most, so time-wise it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.

Edit: That being said, I think one of the issues that can be pointed out is the limited amount of zones currently available for max level characters. Stillmoor and Shimmersand are the only ones really (and even there, Stillmoor stands out much more as the 'End-game' zone). If they can gradually start putting in additional high level zones, so that users have alternatives, that would be nice! I do realize this is an enormous process, but so be it. I'm a patient guy.
    Last edited by FeralFox; 05-27-2011 at 02:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread