+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts based on observed arguments for and against cross server party formation.

Soulwalker

Default Thoughts based on observed arguments for and against cross server party formation.

A hot topic that I've seen in the forums revolves around the idea of allowing players from multiple servers to assemble by way of the party formation tool provided in game. There are many who oppose this idea on the grounds that the server boundary limits the feeling of community. Players who you would normally never see or have any way to interact with are suddenly trusted companions for perhaps an hour and then never seen again. On the other side of the argument. A larger pool of players means that you are more likely to find someone who wants to join you for a run of your favorite adventure.

My idea as a possible solution to this issue is an extension of the current plans to allow free character transfers between servers. With a slight shift in game architecture it seams that it would be possible to have all servers linked as one large community. consider the following possible architecture:

A player loads the client and enters there username and password. At the character selection screen a list of all characters attached to the players account are displayed. (player and character data are handled by one system dedicated to recording and transferring player data to world servers this system should probably hold redundant backups.)

the player selects a character and optionally a preferred shard (world server) to play in. The login server then checks the shard for player load. if server is not full then character data is passed to world server and client is connected for game play. (advantage here is that if the preferred shard is overloaded there is no Que time you can connect and play with your regular character until the preferred world becomes less busy.

Chat and communication should be handled by a separate server or set of servers so that all players have the ability to communicate regardless of current shard. At this point I know that some of you have thought "what about character name availability?" Under the new system each acct selects a surname that is used for all characters. the given name of your character can be anything you like we could even all make a character named bob and form a holy union.

Now that all players are part of one large worldwide community you can talk with your friends regardless of what server they are on. If you want to party with people you know then you can all pick a shard and log in together. Dungeons could be placed on their own system with much lower loads so that raids and instance parties receive less lag at peak game time and cross server group matching for instances becomes a viable options with no drawbacks.

feedback is welcome.

Telaran

Not sure about all that, but Lotro had a channel based system where one 'server' was actually like 12 servers. Player names were unique, but say you had a friend and they just logged in, well they could be on channel 10 and you are on channel 5. You could be standing in the same place but not see each other until you popped into the same channel.

The idea behind the system was to allow players trying to do PVE content find a channel that was not being farmed. You could form groups for dungeons from all channels.

I would like to see Trion merge all the servers into different channels like this. All PVE into one server, all PVP and so on.

Just had to flip a virtual switch to hop channels. Out farming... find some ore, just channel hop to farm more.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranLord View Post
    A hot topic that I've seen in the forums revolves around the idea of allowing players from multiple servers to assemble by way of the party formation tool provided in game. There are many who oppose this idea on the grounds that the server boundary limits the feeling of community. Players who you would normally never see or have any way to interact with are suddenly trusted companions for perhaps an hour and then never seen again. On the other side of the argument. A larger pool of players means that you are more likely to find someone who wants to join you for a run of your favorite adventure.

My idea as a possible solution to this issue is an extension of the current plans to allow free character transfers between servers. With a slight shift in game architecture it seams that it would be possible to have all servers linked as one large community. consider the following possible architecture:

A player loads the client and enters there username and password. At the character selection screen a list of all characters attached to the players account are displayed. (player and character data are handled by one system dedicated to recording and transferring player data to world servers this system should probably hold redundant backups.)

the player selects a character and optionally a preferred shard (world server) to play in. The login server then checks the shard for player load. if server is not full then character data is passed to world server and client is connected for game play. (advantage here is that if the preferred shard is overloaded there is no Que time you can connect and play with your regular character until the preferred world becomes less busy.

Chat and communication should be handled by a separate server or set of servers so that all players have the ability to communicate regardless of current shard. At this point I know that some of you have thought "what about character name availability?" Under the new system each acct selects a surname that is used for all characters. the given name of your character can be anything you like we could even all make a character named bob and form a holy union.

Now that all players are part of one large worldwide community you can talk with your friends regardless of what server they are on. If you want to party with people you know then you can all pick a shard and log in together. Dungeons could be placed on their own system with much lower loads so that raids and instance parties receive less lag at peak game time and cross server group matching for instances becomes a viable options with no drawbacks.

feedback is welcome.
    You have to design your core with this idea in mind. You don't just make "a slight shift" to a new design architecture 3 months after a game releases.

Even if you could, I still don't like the idea.
    Verodio 60 rogue
    Arcaria 60 mage
    Ciren 56 Cleric
    Drow Organization

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Arrgon View Post
    Not sure about all that, but Lotro had a channel based system where one 'server' was actually like 12 servers. Player names were unique, but say you had a friend and they just logged in, well they could be on channel 10 and you are on channel 5. You could be standing in the same place but not see each other until you popped into the same channel.

The idea behind the system was to allow players trying to do PVE content find a channel that was not being farmed. You could form groups for dungeons from all channels.
    I've played LoTRO since launch and have no idea what you're talking about here.

I *think* you're talking about the 'layer' system, but that was nothing to do with servers they way you're describing.
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-25-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    I've played LoTRO since launch and have no idea what you're talking about here.

I *think* you're talking about the 'layer' system, but that was nothing to do with servers they way you're describing.
    Maybe I am thinking about Warhammer or Aion... so many to keep straight.

+ Reply to Thread